Swiftwoof
grayger

Is the word "racist" too overused in middle and high schools?

Swiftwoof

Pro

I believe that the word racist is too overused. All you have to say is something about a "white chair" and they call you a racist. Is it really racist? Is it even necessary? Nope. I think it is just a word commonly introduced to the people overusing it and it's really easy to point out. Do you agree?
grayger

Con

I accept. I agree with you about your "white chair" example, but those are just jokes. Nobody seriously thinks that somebody that says that is actually being racist, they just do it to get a few laughs out of there friends. If somebody actually thinks that's racist they are either not right in the head or had a really bad experiences with a member of another race. While the joke is not really funny, it is not seriously overused.
Swiftwoof

Pro

It may be a joke, but based on my experience, the word itself is said too commonly around schools. It may not be seriously overused but according to the topic it says if it is overused at all. Sometimes, these common jokes don't even make sense. One person once said, "Can I read" and another person shouted "racist". Even though racist is used as jokes most of the time, it is becoming more and more popular over time.
grayger

Con

Those kind of jokes are a fad. Eventually, saying things like that will not be considered funny, just stupid. It's just a phase, and there are other things that need to be addressed much more then the usage of the word racist, such as the word gay. I just don't think it's overused, and therefore not an issue. Just because most of those jokes don't make sense does not mean it is overused.
Swiftwoof

Pro

It may be a fad, but you are going way off topic. During this period of time, it may be a fad, but that still helps my side more by saying that it is a fad, which therefore states that it is overused after all.
grayger

Con

Your examples so far have consisted of people making jokes that don't make sense. Again, that does not mean the joke is over used. Also, you said in your second round argument that the topic says that the argument is about if the word racist is overused at all, not if the word racist if overused to much. Looking above, you will see the debate is about whether the word racist is too overused, which you said in the second round argument it is not seriously overused.
Posted by Juris 3 years ago
Juris
Are these two accounts controlled by a single person?