Frostblizzard1
RationalMadman

Is the world- society to be specific- exposing us to too many provocative advertisements/ shows?

RationalMadman

Frostblizzard1

Pro

Argument 1) As I have grown older, I have noticed that many billboards have pictures of provocative pictures and models advertising things like Victoria's Secret and Forever 21. When our generation sees this, we just see the advertisement but we don't ever look to see how this might be changing the way we think. Many advertisements have models that have extremely tight to no clothing. I can barely get past a site without seeing an advertisement that says "10 hot singles waiting to chat with you." That to me is ridiculous.
Argument 2) When I see an advertisement with provocative models, I, unfortunately, don't think anything of it because I see it so often, I don't think anything of it. This applies to many others. When society bombards us with love scenes and provocative advertisements, we build up an immunity to what we see. That makes me wonder how corrupted the generations after us will be. Thank you.
RationalMadman

Con

The key focus here is 'too many' because I see no evidence that there are too many provocative ads other than my opponent's subjective opinion. This is not substantial basis for a debate and I request actual justifications for the number of provocative ads of our current World being to many.
Frostblizzard1

Pro

I understand you think my evidence isn't proving why provocative advertisements are affecting us and how they are advertised in our lives. 1 provocative advertisement is too many. When people see them, it can have a wave effect and change the way we think just by seeing that one advertisements. If you asked me, I could name not 10, not 20, but 26 advertisements in magazines, billboards, and on tv. I have noticed that these advertisements have started to make us immune to the fact that we are still young and don't need to be sensual or show a lot of skin to be adult like or cool. Society is trying to get us to embrace today and what we have become. However, we don't have to be influenced by the new Victoria's Secret billboard, or the new love story and sensual movie coming out. I am a seventh grader and I am old enough to know the difference between an advertisement and a show model. We don't need to be influenced with what society presents us with.
RationalMadman

Con

You said this: " If you asked me, I could name not 10, not 20, but 26 advertisements in magazines, billboards, and on tv." You never justified why 26 is too many.

You also said this "I have noticed that these advertisements have started to make us immune to the fact that we are still young and don't need to be sensual or show a lot of skin to be adult like or cool." I do not see how the fact that a hot babe in his/her twenties (or older) showing his/her flesh is relevant to telling little kids that they must show flesh at their age. Kids should know that adults are older than them and that the fact that their mother and father can have sex on the sofa while watching porn on the television and perhaps having a Skype chat with a masturbating partner does in no way mean that a prepubescent (or young adolescent) child/teen must do it before they are the age at which their parents or adults, in general, are at. There is a clear age of consent for pornography.
Frostblizzard1

Pro

I refuse to answer this argument. It doesn't counter my argument nor does it bring up a new one.
RationalMadman

Con

Refusal to address my rebuttal is essentially a consession. Thanks.
Posted by 1Devilsadvocate 4 years ago
1Devilsadvocate
Oh BTW Welcome to the site. & you might want to get ad blockers, you can get them for free.
Posted by 1Devilsadvocate 4 years ago
1Devilsadvocate
These are very valid opinion & feelings, but I don't think people will view them as valid arguments.
You need stuff like; statistics showing that it leads to more rapes, divorces, less respect for women as people, treating women as things not people, etc.

You can edit your debate until someone accepts it.

Good Luck.
Vote Placed by TigerTime 4 years ago
TigerTime
Frostblizzard1RationalMadmanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con had a legitimate point that pro needed to set up some kind of standard for why 26 was too much. he refused to respond, which is also bad conduct.
Vote Placed by t-man 4 years ago
t-man
Frostblizzard1RationalMadmanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro did not respond to Con's rebbutal