thewinnerishere
Sethorien

Is the world we live in today a safe and secure place?

thewinnerishere

Con

Probably, it should be that the world is not a safe place
Sethorien

Pro

Well, this is a rather simple debate. The world we live in is frought with dangers. Disease, wild animals, war! I could honestly argue almost anything to prove the danger of the world, instead I will offer you the opportunity to clarify your opening statement/title in order to allow for a more balanced debate.

Best of luck!
thewinnerishere

Con

the world is not a safe place because of the possibility of nuclear explosions and international terrorism
Sethorien

Pro

Before I can even look at my side of the debate, first danger must be defined:

"The possibility of suffering harm or injury"

So the question becomes: Is the world we live in a place where there is an immediate possibility of suffering harm or injury?

I daresay it is not. Yes in specific instances in specific parts of the world, safety is rare, and danger is high, but to say the entire world is unsafe would be a bit presumptive. For instance, take you sitting behind your computer screen in a quiet little piece of suburbia. Are you in danger? Are you currently safe? If you are safe, then it is clear that even by the most infitesimal quanitity, our world is safe, therefore it is impossible to say with absolute certainty that the world we live in is unsafe.
thewinnerishere

Con

thewinnerishere forfeited this round.
Sethorien

Pro

My opponent has offered me nothing to rebut. My previous argument stands.
thewinnerishere

Con

thewinnerishere forfeited this round.
thewinnerishere

Con

thewinnerishere forfeited this round.
Sethorien

Pro

Sethorien forfeited this round.
Posted by Sethorien 5 years ago
Sethorien
I like dramoR more than my current opponent :\ oh well...
Posted by DramoR 5 years ago
DramoR
I suppose in order to properly argue this you'd have to define what Safe and secure would mean. it is very much a debate in its own to define what "safe" itself means.

Pending on the society and the part of the world we are in safety can be really different. Personally the idea of safe I think doesn't exist. There are too many things in the world that can cause harm. With today's world people are dying for various reasons. For an example, we are barely safe from ourselves. People instinctively are dangerous, we do things from time to time that would cause risk and could cause bodily harm. Even for the ones as you said sitting behind there computer, inherently they will need to get up and they will need to interact, if they don't they could be a danger to themselves by causing malnutrition, or accidental death through many of the ways it can occur in a home.

Really life requires danger in order to live, without it we really have no purpose, we need to work to feel safe and be proactive in order to delay harm, injury or even death.
Posted by Sethorien 5 years ago
Sethorien
oh goodness, it appears I misunderstood my opponent's opening statement... oh well, I guess I will remedy that in my next argument. It should be fun to try to argue an opposite view to my own :)
Posted by Double_R 5 years ago
Double_R
A safe world means different things to different people. You may want to define it so that your opponent does not take advantage.
Posted by DetectableNinja 5 years ago
DetectableNinja
You should probably rephrase the topic into a resolution or statement, rather than a question. Just a tip. It makes it easier for people to understand your position. For example, another version of the title could be "The world we live in is a safe and secure place."