artsaward
TheInterlang

Is theatre an outdated idea replaced by cinema?

Started: 10/13/2013 Category: Arts

artsaward

Pro

I go to the theatre very regularly particularly the RSC in Stratford, I love the experience and think there is nothing better than the thrill of a live performance. However in modern times the number of regular theatre goers is decreasing dramatically and it is very unusual for people at my age (teenager) of going regularly to the theatre. Only 36% of people go to the cinema with 60% of those being professional classes meaning hardly anybody young visits the theatre at all. So, if people aren't visiting the theatre where are they going? to the cinema! 72% go regularly to the cinema with 75% teenagers going weekly! all I can think is why? Theatre may be a much older form of entertainment but I don't think it means it is outdated because there are new plays being written all the time, the theatres are also modern and it is a great experience to see a live performance. Some people may see the cinema as more interesting because of its modern technology but I certainly don't, the technology detracts from the acting and it is no where near as an exciting a performance because it is copy to everyone, everywhere. Everybody sees the same thing whereas a live theatre performance is spontaneous and exciting. It is also much better value, the average theatre ticket in 2011 was $7.93("5.10) and it costs on average $7.95 for a theatre ticket so on average the theatre is cheaper and you get around three hours of live entertainment with high class acting whereas a film is just a copy that has been so enhanced it isn't real acting at all. Plus a DVD is just a few pounds more! I also think that the theatre is a much more personal experience and you feel more included, not just an audience member but part of the play. I think that theatre is being replaced because of the younger generation not being taken there and also thinking that it isn't cool to do, this puts them off. Also they think that they have to be of a certain class to go to the theatre which they don't and they are put off by that as well. I think it is vital that the theatre keeps going because it is such an important part of our culture. It isn't outdated it is modern and evolving everyday. If you don't think that theatre is important then how do you know who Shakespeare is? He is much more famous than any film director could ever be.
I have strong views but please tell me what you think, agree or disagree, go ahead!
TheInterlang

Con

I am a little confused about your view. Do you think theatre is outdated, or do you not?

There is just something special about going to a theatre and seeing a play. I like movies too. They are different concepts.

The average person probably watches more television in a week than theatre in a lifetime, not because it's superior, but because TV and cinema are more promoted than the stage. We see advertisements for the latest movies and TV shows everywhere we walk, while stage plays are usually advertised by newspaper (which is also considered an old people's thing). If plays were advertised in a similar way as movies, more people would go to them.

But there are some forms of theatre that are still regularly used and still evolving, such as the shows in Broadway or Las Vegas. People pay hundreds to see Broadway plays, magicians, dancers, etc. It's a more personal experience than a movie. It's all the pleasures of a 3D film, minus the eyestrain.

Cars may have largely replaced bikes for some purposes, but bikes are still used. Same with theatre.
artsaward

Pro

artsaward forfeited this round.
TheInterlang

Con

TheInterlang forfeited this round.
artsaward

Pro

artsaward forfeited this round.
TheInterlang

Con

TheInterlang forfeited this round.