Musicaddict23
Buckethead31594

Is there a God

Buckethead31594

Musicaddict23

Con

There is no God no scientific evidence or physical eveidence that God or jesus ever existed that is why people have faith in them people pray for things to get better and they never do people stay sick wars continue and hatred and diseses still exist people pray to god that these go away and yet they are still here and people are still dieing.
Buckethead31594

Pro

First off, I would like to welcome you to this website. I hope that your stay is pleasant and that your first debate goes well. Remember, it is not about who is correct or incorrect, but that we discover the plausibility behind the arguments; so that we can come to truth together. I will be supplying strict rebuttals; all statements are made impersonal and are simply for the sake of the refutes in accordance to their evidence. With that said, I'm looking forward to a good debate.

Onto Con.
Musicaddict23

Con

Musicaddict23 forfeited this round.
Buckethead31594

Pro

It is a shame that my opponent has forfeited a round in their first debate. I will wait for my opponent to supply their arguments before I continue with mine.
Musicaddict23

Con

If there is a God then why does evil exist if he is such a great god then why not rid of all the evil
Buckethead31594

Pro

I welcome my opponent to round three.

Since Con has the burden of proof, he is supposed to provide me with an argument regarding God's lack of existence. However, seeing as how Con has failed to do this, I suppose we can share the burden. Allow me to "answer" my opponent's question and then present my arguments for the contrary.

Because my opponent is referring to the Judeo-Christian God (according to their comment), Yahweh, I will use Christian apologetics to answer my opponent's question, as controversial as it is:

"If there is a God then why does evil exist..."

Evil exists because of mankind's decision to rebel (Genesis 3). One must note that the existence of evil does not rely on the existence of God. As a matter of fact, evil would not be "evil" in terms as we know it if there was no God. If God did not exist, "evil" would just be an instinct- a way of survival (which it unfortunately is to some people today). Because of God's very nature, evil is easily defeated (Isaiah 6:3)(Psalm 7:11)(Deuteronomy 32:4)(Daniel 4:17-25).

"...he is such a great god then why not rid of all the evil"

The fact that God allows evil does not make him any less great. God allows evil because we have free will; if God removed evil from existence, humans would be nothing more than robots, programmed to do the bidding of our creator. In this case, God allows evil so that we can have a choice.

Also, if God where to remove evil from this world, he would have to remove every last trace of it. This includes all of the evil people. But then that begs the question: what makes someone evil? If my opponent has ever lied, stolen, or lusted, he would be considered evil by God's standards (Exodus 20:1-17). In other words, we are all evil, and we all deserve to die because of our imperfections; From Hitler, to Mother Theresa. But the underlying difference here, is Jesus Christ.

Because Jesus became the ultimate sacrifice, we no longer have to die for being evil; all of our wrongdoings are accounted for. This gift is an example of God's love for mankind. If my opponent has any further questions regarding Christ or forgiveness, I would advise him to investigate this link:

http://gotquestions.org...

Evidence for God's existence

God: a being than which no greater can be conceived[1][2]

Of course, there are many arguments for God's existence. Such a topic of debate relies mainly on faith, or no one would debate about it. Most of these types of questions have already been answered. Here are a few logical arguments with which this topic can be addressed:

Ontological Argument[1][2]
To exist is greater than to not exist, therefore the greatest conceivable being must exist. If God did not exist, then God would not be the greatest conceivable being, contradicting the very definition of God.

Teleological Argument[1]
Because the universe displays such an amazing design, there must have been a divine Designer. For example, if the Earth were significantly closer or farther away from the sun, it would not be capable of supporting much of the life it currently does. If the elements in our atmosphere were even a few percentage points different, nearly every living thing on earth would die. The odds of a single protein molecule forming by chance is 1 in 10243 (that is a 1 followed by 243 zeros). A single cell is comprised of millions of protein molecules.

Cosmological Argument[1]
Every effect must have a cause. This universe and everything in it is an effect. There must be something that caused everything to come into existence. Ultimately, there must be something “un-caused” in order to cause everything else to come into existence. That “un-caused” cause is God.

Onto Con.

[1] http://www.gotquestions.org...
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...
Musicaddict23

Con

Musicaddict23 forfeited this round.
Buckethead31594

Pro

My opponent has failed to refute any of my arguments; need I say more? I do hope that Con will be prepared next time he issues a debate.

Vote Pro.
Posted by Buckethead31594 5 years ago
Buckethead31594
Con, please proceed to provide your arguments as to why there is no God.
Posted by Musicaddict23 5 years ago
Musicaddict23
Yes
Posted by caveat 5 years ago
caveat
Are you referring specifically to the Judeo-Christian God?
Vote Placed by ApostateAbe 5 years ago
ApostateAbe
Musicaddict23Buckethead31594Tied
Reasons for voting decision: forfeit
Vote Placed by OMGJustinBieber 5 years ago
OMGJustinBieber
Musicaddict23Buckethead31594Tied
Reasons for voting decision: No contest. I'd take this up with Pro if he wants a deeper discussion.