Ithacus
tombodebater3000

Is there a causal link between vaccines and autism?

Ithacus

Con

As Con, I will prove that there is no causal link between vaccines and autism.
Pro will be expected to prove that vaccines cause autism.
BoP is shared.

Pro is welcome to make his/her arguments in the 1st round. May the best arguments win!
tombodebater3000

Pro

I believe there is NO casual or otherwise any kind of link between vaccines and Autism. The main (underlying) reason is because Autism is a genetic disorder so therefore is caused due to the birth of a kid who got this gene from their parents. Vaccines and Autism have no direct connection. Scientifically, I also feel that there is a time for scientists to admit that there is much more for us to do about Autism as it relates to the people of the world who have it. Basically what I am saying is that there is much more breakthroughs that can allow for Autism to be treated or, in the far future, cured even. Understanding Autism does NOT require a PH.D. of any kind, but it does inquire the scientific mind.
Ithacus

Con

Ithacus forfeited this round.
tombodebater3000

Pro

tombodebater3000 forfeited this round.
Ithacus

Con

Ithacus forfeited this round.
tombodebater3000

Pro

tombodebater3000 forfeited this round.
Ithacus

Con

Ithacus forfeited this round.
tombodebater3000

Pro

tombodebater3000 forfeited this round.
Posted by KaleBevilacqua 3 years ago
KaleBevilacqua
Seems that Pro took up the wrong side. Oopsies.
Posted by Lordgrae 3 years ago
Lordgrae
I wanted to troll this debate, but I decided against it, I respect cons beliefs too much and the resolution is good.
Posted by DB8ISSUES17 3 years ago
DB8ISSUES17
Causation vs. Correlation. Think about it. Happy debating!:)
Posted by YYW 3 years ago
YYW
No. There. Question answered. Move on.
Posted by dawndawndawndawn 3 years ago
dawndawndawndawn
Ithacus,

Autism did not start with vaccines or is it, completely, dependant on
environmental factors.

Therefore, neither vaccines or environmental factors are the CAUSE
even if, each, or both, thing/s tip the balance.
Posted by whiteflame 3 years ago
whiteflame
I agree that it's worth having it out with them if they're willing to take the time, but most people who hold that view function mainly based off of misinformation, lending credence to overly antiquated or completely debunked research. I'm not saying the argument doesn't exist, and I hope that someone does challenge you, but it's really more of an opportunity to destroy an argument we already know is extremely lacking from a scientific perspective. I'd say that merely asking them to give you a link of any substance would be enough - causality seems like a high hurdle to jump, even for them.
Posted by Ithacus 3 years ago
Ithacus
@Kale - Thank you for the resource, I had not seen that tweet yet. :)

@Cygnus - (1) Let's hope it stays that way. It would be sad to know the anti-vaccine opinion is still that stalwart. (2) These cases of preventable death grieve me every time...

@whiteflame - It's true that causal links are asking a lot, however, this is the claim of practically 85% of the anti-vaccine activists. I'm just asking them to defend the high-stakes claim they themselves have made.

@dawn - Actually, certain types of autism may be triggered by environmental factors (though not vaccines). Second, diagnoses may come later. This implies correlation, but it is unscientific to assume causation.
Posted by Cygnus 3 years ago
Cygnus
Whiteflame, given that fearmongers like Jenny McCarthy draw a direct causal link between vaccines and autism and continue spilling this falsehood, I have to say that asking for causal evidence is not unreasonable at all. Moreover, there are small pockets within given populations that refuse to vaccinate, resulting in a sudden spike in diseases like pertussis.

http://abcnews.go.com...
Posted by dawndawndawndawn 3 years ago
dawndawndawndawn
Autism precedes vaccines -duh
Posted by whiteflame 3 years ago
whiteflame
Admittedly, you're asking for a lot here. You're not just asking for a scientifically valid link between autism and vaccinations, something that Andrew Wakefield tried to accomplish in 1998 (and was largely lambasted for as well, after it was discovered that his methods were reprehensibly bad). You're asking for a causal link. One of the viruses I've spent a great deal of time studying, Epstein-Barr Virus, is found in 98-99% of all Burkitt's Lymphoma tumor cells, so there's definitely a link between the two diseases. However, they can't claim causality, because they haven't determined the full mechanism by which it causes these cancers. And that's with numerous credited studies that have been through the peer review process multiple times and survived more than a decade of rigorous efforts to repeat and expand upon them.

Asking for a causal link here is unreasonable. The best I've heard is that there's a link between vaccines and increased symptomology in autistic patients. It's not causal yet, it's just a link. Just seems like this question sets up the con to lose too easily.