Jonathan11
Lordgrae

Is there a god (is christianity true)

Jonathan11

Con

First round for accepting debate.
Lordgrae

Pro

I accept this debate on the premise that we are prescribing to a literal interpretation of the bible. The theistic god is an irrefutable hypothesis and the arguments for that can be applied to any god, since you have specified Christian, I will assume we accept the bible as literal.
Jonathan11

Con

First off I'd like to say that we all have different faiths and beliefs and I accept that and I hope in this debate that we do not upset one another. So to start this debate I ask where is your proof that praying to a religious figure will "strengthen" me in my time of need. I have heard stories (some very absurd) and I have been to church but no one as convinced me that their is a god that praying will somehow help me, explain to me why people pray. Now to be fair I know that for a fact Jesus of Nazareth was a real person but that people fabricated his plight to make him seem as an immortal or even supernatural, and this goes for other.
Lordgrae

Pro

"First off I'd like to say that we all have different faiths and beliefs and I accept that and I hope in this debate that we do not upset one another."

I am an atheist who accidentally accepted this side. I will defend it as best I can though. I would suggest re-posting this debate if you wish to debate someone who actually believes this.

"So to start this debate I ask where is your proof that praying to a religious figure will "strengthen" me in my time of need."

Have you ever been to a psychologist or psychiatrist? It is very helpful to talk to someone and explain what your going through. That is where the strength comes from. Even if it is a advice that you seek, wisdom that you generate is good as well. That's the purpose of prayer. If you talk it through with someone, even if the existence of that someone is under question, it is still helpful. So by this, the placebo effect proves the existence of god. Somehow. A woman at a "learn about Christian science" booth told me that.

"Now to be fair I know that for a fact Jesus of Nazareth was a real person but that people fabricated his plight to make him seem as an immortal or even supernatural, and this goes for other."

I will attempt to defend the existence of Jesus as a supernatural being. I have one question. Can you prove that Jesus wasn't supernatural? Can you? I have never heard solid evidence against the existence of Jesus as a supernatural being. And we have reliable eye witnesses that were written about, instead of writing themselves, so we KNOW that it's true, because religious zealots never lie to prove their religion. Because it is a societal norm for 98% of the world that accepts the divinity of Crist (real number may have been taken from a youtube video and may be off by about 50-60%)

And what about all the people that died for Christianity? Are you saying they died for nothing? Are you saying their death's were meaningless?

What about the witches that attacked the innocent people at Salem town. they knew about the witches, and they took action to protect their children! It was only the Satan worshipping mayor that shut down the trials to protect his wife who was a witch!

https://www.youtube.com...

And what about all the miracles in Christianity? What about all of these miracles? Sure they occur in other faiths, but that's simply the devil stealing their souls!

The whole "old earth" theory, is evolutionist hogwash. It is not supported by any evidence, and radiometric dating is uncertain and unreliable for dating.

The dinosaurs died in a flood, while 2 of every animal fit in a tiny boat for a couple years with inadequate food.

https://www.youtube.com...

Don't deny what you know to be true!
Jonathan11

Con

First off I'd like to say that we all have different faiths and beliefs and I accept that and I hope in this debate that we do not upset one another.

Have you ever been to a psychologist or psychiatrist?

No I have not, but the difference between God and a therapist is a therapist is scientifically proven to be real. You just said it yourself God is a placebo and by definition a placebo is "a measure designed merely to calm or please someone."

Can you prove that Jesus wasn't supernatural?

I can say the same thing can you prove he was supernatural, we all need to remember that the bible was written approximately 3500 years ago you don't think that maybe some information could of been twisted or miscommunicated from then till now? I take you as a little gullible if you think religious figures wouldn't lie to spread their faith.

Are you saying they died for nothing?

And what about all the people that died for Al-Qaeda's cause died for nothing when they attacked the twin towers? people die for causes that they believe is right whether it be Christianity or Al-Qaeda

I don't have much to say other than good one and that evolution is the more realistic theory, but don't get me wrong you may be right.
Lordgrae

Pro

Okay, sorry. my brother got a hold of my account and decided to troll this debate. Yes I am an atheist, but it is unfortunate that my research of apologetic argument methods has gone to waste.

I am truly sorry and I admit defeat.

Watch those YouTube videos though. They're pretty funny.
Posted by Jonathan11 3 years ago
Jonathan11
well good job I had fun debating you even though were both atheist.
Posted by Lordgrae 3 years ago
Lordgrae
I was being funny. No one watched the YouTube clip. The people of Salem were victimized by the witches!
Posted by Jonathan11 3 years ago
Jonathan11
I looked at your profile and you had put that you are an Atheist why would you partake in an argument defending religion?
Posted by Jonathan11 3 years ago
Jonathan11
I think I thought is a little rhetorical don't you think?
Posted by Lordgrae 3 years ago
Lordgrae
I think I thought that you were pro. Nonetheless I will attempt to defend the position I accidentally accepted.
Posted by Jonathan11 3 years ago
Jonathan11
yes