Is there a place for American Football in the UK sports marketplace?

Started: 3/10/2010 Category: Sports

Is there a place for American Football in the UK sports marketplace? Express your opinions through this questionnaire.

Dear Sports Fans!

The survey accessible via the link below is part of a dissertation research project. I would be very grateful if you could share your opinions on this topic. Before you agree to take part in this survey, please note that you must be over 18 years old to participate. It is also a requirement that you consider yourself a fan of one of the top sports in the UK. All of your responses are anonymous. No information is being collected other than the responses you submit so it will not be possible to associate any responses with any participant.

Any questions or for further information please contact me.
Your time is much appreciated – hopefully you'll find it quite interesting!

My opponent hasn't fulfilled her burden of proof, inasmuch as she has not proven that the UK sports marketplace has any real room for American Football (apart from a sort of sideshow act).

Additionally, if Pro wishes to conduct some kind of sports survey, the optimum place in which to do so is the sports section of the forums, which is located here: []. In a way, you could say that I am also "con" to the idea of using this 5-round debate as a means of pushing around a survey.

Because my opponent isn't debating the topic, or at all, you obviously negate.

My apologies for posting a survey..I am just desperate for responses...However he is my view on the question...

As an NFL fan I'm unsure. Fans already have their team (I'm a New Orleans Saints fan), and whilst the annual Wembley game attracts a full house this is fans of all different teams around the country and indeed Europe. I live in Yorkshire and it would not be feasible to go to a full seaons games - too expensive. Also the fan experience doesn't match that in the US.

However, there is possibly a space in the market for the NFL franchise. With the right commercial opportunities and involvement with kids from an early age the sport could grow within the UK.

"As an NFL fan I'm unsure."

Let's take a look at the resolution: "Is there a place for American Football in the UK sports marketplace?"

By my opponent's very argumentation, she hasn't given us a definite yes, which means that she cannot ask you to affirm the resolution. While she may try to shift her position in Round 3, I'd like you to note that any attempts by Pro to shift her position to something more defensible are absolutely unacceptable in a debate round, since she could potentially skew her arguments in an infinite number of ways.

Because my opponent has failed to uphold her burden in two ways (not affirming the resolution, and not debating at all), it's clear that the only way to vote is Con.

missjt forfeited this round.

Many of my opponents seem to disappear on me. As DDO's CIA Director, I affirm that I haven't been placing these people into any secret prisons.

Oh, also - extend all arguments.

I haven't disappeared..hiii!

I'm just busy writing up my dissertation having collected the data.

The debate never really got going did it...The question I posed (Is there a place for American Football in the UK sports marketplace) sets the foundation for a really good debate - one that is both current and a prevalent topic when considering the UK's perception of Americanism. It would have been good to debate it with you, it's just a shame I needed some questionnaires filling out in the process.

"I haven't disappeared..hiii!"

Told you I didn't do anything to her.

Anyhow, I agree that this debate never really got off the ground, since it wasn't really a "debate" to begin with. I'm just going to call this a victory for Con, and say that, maybe, we could do an actual debate over this topic in the future.

missjt forfeited this round.

I'm pretty sure I've won; so, here's the points breakdown:

Conduct: Con - Pro forfeited. Twice. And made a debate to push her survey.

S/G: Con - Maybe it was just me, but her "arguments" seemed really awkward when I was reading them, in terms of construction.

Arguments: Con - Obviously.

Sources: Tied - What sources?
Posted by Cody_Franklin 6 years ago
I may very well do that.
Posted by Kinesis 6 years ago
Cody, you should forfeit the last round so it doesn't clog up the main page.
Vote Placed by Cody_Franklin 6 years ago