bobr
Atheos68

Is there a place for Christianity in today's world.

bobr has forfeited round #2.

bobr

Pro

In today's society full of religious pluralism and reeling on the effects of postmodernists moral relativity, we ask is there a place for Christianity in today's world? I hold that the Christian worldview provides the most fulfilling life here on this planet. More importantly it allows for the forgiveness of sin and provides hope not only now but for eternity. If other religions eliminate the self or conclude there is no soul or it is not eternal, what hope does that provide for man's longing as an eternal being. I would love to hear back on this issue and have a an enriching exchange on the matter. Thanks
Atheos68

Con

No there is no place not only for christianity in today's world but religion as a whole. Its a disease that infects man and will continue to do so until he eradicates it from his life. It causes nothing but hatred, war, and isolationism to his fellow man.
Posted by bobr 6 months ago
bobr
To the comment on the lack of changing religious philosophy I think it has varied much in recent years. When you consider the modernists who embraced science only to lose faith in their leaders and political systems and watch the dropping of the atomic bomb and development of nuclear weapons, and the post-modernists who center on the self, moral relativity is very volatile. So when you say religious philosophy as a whole I think mankind wants to embrace new philosophies. When you consider Christianity I would agree there tends to be less room for variance. Primarily because they believe in a transcendent God. Thus the opportunity to improve His philosophies and teachings is greatly limited. Does that mean we cannot recognize brilliant writings and discoveries within sacred writ, and revelation to such writings? We think we can. But if one believes in objective truth as something we can know and has been shared by God, one would have to question what I acquired, or have learned, that would cause me to contradict those teachings. Further in regards to the comment, I am not sure I understood the directive towards more concepts as opposed to concretes. Christianity is deeply entrenched in spiritual concepts as opposed to its systems being based on empirical data.
Posted by missmedic 6 months ago
missmedic
One of the main failings of a religious philosophy (AKA a worldview) is it's inability to change and improve through thought and experience. The decision about examining philosophy is between: 1) to make your philosophy explicit, or 2) to be a slave to the subconscious notions, principles, and other people's philosophies picked up throughout life. To ignore the topic of philosophy is to be doomed to the second choice. Examining your philosophy will allow you to discover and root out all errors and contradictions and allow you to more easily acquire knowledge and to think in concepts rather than concretes.