peas_and_carrots
Amphia

Is there a purpose in life?

Amphia
Updated: 2 weeks ago Status: Post Voting Period

peas_and_carrots

Con

There is no purpose in life. How does a human enter this world? Two adults have sexual intercourse usually caused by sudden psychological urges. From this, a baby is put into the world... but with what purpose? There is no goal for this baby when they enter this world; not even to live. They are simply here because two adults had sexual intercourse.
Amphia

Pro

I think you are oversimplifying a debate scholars and intellectuals alike have spent years trying to figure out. You say that there is no purpose in life because of the way you were created. " There is no goal for this baby when they enter this world; not even to live. They are simply here because two adults had sexual intercourse."

That's a bit silly in my opinion Who says that your origins determine your purpose? If my mother is a murderer, is my purpose to murder? Of course not, so you wouldn't say that because my parents simply had sex and procreated, I have no purpose.

Now, as this is a highly debated topic and to be honest is simply an opinion, I am just going to give my opinion. I believe the purpose of life is what you make of it. The baby who was put forth in the world can decide to either be like their parents and just procreate for the sake of it, or make something of themselves.

This world has been shaped by many years of experiences and people which has left it with many wonderful things and also many horrible things. We have society (whether it is good or bad is quite debatable), we have war, we have marriage, we have love, and illness, and children. Perhaps the baby can decide that his/her purpose is to make the world a better place. Maybe their parents were quite distant and they decide that their purpose is to adopt children and raise them in a loving home. This is making the world a better place in that it is sharing love which we can all agree makes the world a little bit better.

The child's parents might have been abusive to them and they eventually drop out of high school, grow up, marry, have kids, and in turn be abusive to them that thus becoming their purpose. "What?" You might say but as I said, everyone's purpose is what they make of it. If you are an abusive parent and abusive spouse and do nothing else, your purpose has become to be abusive. It is a bad purpose but it is nonetheless a purpose. Perhaps this abusive behavior will spur your kids to pursue college so that they can get an education and not end up like you.

Life is what you make of it and while it throw things your way that you cannot control, it is up to you to decide how you are going to react.
peas_and_carrots

Con

Take a look at a typical day of an average adult. They get up early in the morning to go to work for 8 hours a day before finally getting home to feed themselves a meal and take care of the other nonsensical and pointless time consuming chores that they have to do before going to bed and repeating this same process the next day. Even if they wanted to become the president of the United States as their 'goal' in life, it is simply unlikely due to the insignificant amount of movement between the levels of socio-economic status. So, can you "have" a goal in life that you chase after? Sure. But just because you have one does not mean that you will ever achieve one. Yes, this is my first debate on this website and I pretty much admitted defeat but I'm pretty much just doing this so that I can vote on other posts :) GGWP
Amphia

Pro

I think you are overlooking the pleasure we as humans can receive from every day tasks. I f you know your purpose, then you know the type of job you are looking for so chances are you love your job. It brings you joy because you are doing what you love. I wouldn't say happiness is pointless. And regarding eating, I wouldn't say that is pointless. It is necessary to live and I, like many people, enjoy eating, especially good food. Good food is one of the greatest pleasures in life (one of, not THE).

"...take care of the other nonsensical and pointless time consuming chores that they have to do before going to bed and repeating this same process the next day." What do you define as pointless and time-consuming? Like cleaning your house? Or taking care of your children (if you have any)? Or exercising? Or Giving back to your community? People do so much more in their days than just go home and do boring chores. As I have said, life is what you make of it and if you find the benefits in the things you do, then they won't seem boring. Of course, some things we do are wasteful and time consuming but to say that all humans do is wake up, go to work, do boring chores, and repeat is an egregious mistake.

"Even if they wanted to become the president of the United States as their 'goal' in life, it is simply unlikely due to the insignificant amount of movement between the levels of socio-economic status. So, can you "have" a goal in life that you chase after? Sure. But just because you have one does not mean that you will ever achieve one." You seem to be mistaking goals for purpose. Me having a goal to be President does not necessarily mean it is my purpose. Think about it this way: If my goal is to be President because my purpose is to help people and then I lose, I will not be discouraged. I will either run again learning from my mistakes or decide that there are other ways to help people than just being President.

"Yes, this is my first debate on this website and I pretty much admitted defeat but I'm pretty much just doing this so that I can vote on other posts :) "
Does that mean I win? Haha.
Posted by canis 1 week ago
canis
Yes that is what could matter to you as a theist. To an atheist it would make no sense / matter at all.
Posted by habebate 1 week ago
habebate
Purpose
Who determines the purpose of a product .. its uses and benefits ?
Can the product itself determine its purpose .. can it decide what for is it produced? ..
Only the manufacturer of the product defines the purpose of the product ..
Could Adam and Eve before or while being created decide the purpose of creating them?
Material products are all for the use and benefit of people .. The earth and everything on and in the earth were created to benefit people. But people were not created to be used by other creatures.
So. it is only God, the Creator who created humans has the right to define the purpose of their creation .. It is to know Him .. obey Him .. and follow His instructions manuals If they do they will fulfill their obligations towards their Creator , satisfy Him and
qualify themselves for more happiness in this examination life and perfect happy life in the next.
Posted by canis 2 weeks ago
canis
The purpose is what matters to you. I think of Stephen Hawking. A guy in a wheelchair who can only move his eyes. Not even breath by himself.....
Posted by GabrielOpinion 2 weeks ago
GabrielOpinion
The purpose in the life is to help and attend to the people to make them a happy life, we can make the difference and to be light for the people in the darkness.

God has a purpose for everyone, just we have to use it correctly. all in the life has life and breath because God. Think about it

Regards, God love u too much, and you were chose to live in the world to make the difference
Posted by WOLF.J 2 weeks ago
WOLF.J
The purpose of life is to avoid temptations and make the best out of the cards dealt to you, so you can contribute to a better future for your kin n the people you interact with.
Vote Placed by DawnBringerRiven 1 week ago
DawnBringerRiven
peas_and_carrotsAmphiaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's arguments are purely subjective opinion. ". . .and take care of the other nonsensical and pointless time consuming chores. . ." Whether an act is pointless or not depends on perspective rather than fact. Pro addresses all of Con's points and uses logical reasoning rather than bare opinions.