kynkyn03
Throwback

Is there a purpose of living if we all die?

kynkyn03 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

kynkyn03

Con

We are born into the world, restricted by government rules and forced to do something in order to get noticed. Is there even a point in shooting for the highest position in the world if we all are going to die in the end?
Throwback

Pro

I thank Con for instigating this debate. I look forward to a lively discourse.

In response to Con’s opening, Pro agrees that this life is filled with restrictions, governmental and otherwise. There is, however, purpose in living despite having to live under these rules, and ending in death.

Con mentions one part of the answer as to the question when he mentions inevitable death. There is a second part to the equation, “And as it is appointed unto men once to die, and after this the judgment” St. Paul to the Hebrews 9:27 (1). It is the moral and spiritual sphere which gives human existence real meaning. We work out our lives for something greater than creatures which do not have this destiny. We spend our lives doing our very best at everything we do in order that, when we die, after this the judgement will go well for us.

1. http://drbo.org...

Posted by missmedic 1 month ago
missmedic
Sir Noodles, I applaud your civility (a rare thing on these boards) and apologise if I seemed condescending or rude, as it is not my intention. I choose to come here to discuses thoughts and idea that impact our shared world. Unfortunately so many discussions become reduced to an exchange of insults and ego's, and the points either person was trying to make gets lost in the cacophony of battle. Mutual respect must exist if we wish to hear and be heard, so thanks.
Posted by SirNoodles518 1 month ago
SirNoodles518
@missmedic Yeah, I probably worded that wrong sorry. I didn't mean that we should devote EVERY single moment of our lives dedicated to helping people because that's physically impossible and we do have our own personal needs to attend to. Yes, I do agree on benevolence - I just worded my comment wrong, sorry.
Posted by SirNoodles518 1 month ago
SirNoodles518
I never said there that I want to be selfless was solely down to Jesus. I help people because I do genuinely want to help people. On numerous occasions I've helped people without receiving a reward of any kind. I PERSONALLY believe that giving is better than receiving but that's just my personal opinion. I much prefer the satisfaction of giving than receiving and as I said my view on the meaning of life was my opinion.
Posted by backwardseden 1 month ago
backwardseden
@missmedic - As usual 100% correct. And just because jesus said so, doesn't make ---anything--- automatically morally correct and true just because there's a bunch of words garbled from an assumed messiah. After all he perhaps was the most selfish righteous egotist for the mere sake of self preservation than anyone who has ---ever--- supposedly existed. And yet there's 0% proof that this character ever breathed. There's only a bunch of chop suey words in a big black blank book that are truly insulting to those that are intelligent and educated.
And that speaks volumes to what you were saying.
Posted by missmedic 1 month ago
missmedic
"the purpose of life is to be selfless and make others happy." That is wrong, what you are describing is altruism, and altruism is morally wrong. Altruism is a code of ethics which hold the welfare of others as the standard of "good", and self-sacrifice as the only moral action. The unstated premise of the doctrine of altruism is that all relationships among men involve sacrifice. This leaves one with the false choice between maliciously exploiting the other person (forcing them to be sacrificed) or being "moral" and offering oneself up as the sacrificial victim. Why is the second considered good? Apparently because Jesus said so.
If you want to embrace a virtue, try benevolence. Benevolence is not the same as altruism. Altruism dictates that you sacrifice yourself for the benefit for others -- that their need is a claim on your actions.
Posted by Meshh 1 month ago
Meshh
As @SirNooodles518 stated, "the purpose of life is to be selfless and make others happy." I agree with this statement entirely, I think that there is much more to life than death. In addition to what SirNoodles said I also think that , for the majority of people the purpose of life is to grow, educate yourself whether that be through schooling or reading choice books after completing high school, and acquiring a career that provides you with the funds to support those that raised you and a family that you have a choice of whether or not to make. Obviously this is not everyone"s purpose of life and it"s not even my own its just a personal belief that I was able to form looking through the eyes of the average person and the majority of the population. All of our personal belies about the purpose of life will vary due to the past experiences that we have been exposed to. One thing that I would like to say is that if anyone feels as if their life is constantly filled with them "going through the motions" that they may need to pursue physiatric help because this is a common symptom of depression.
Posted by Chargers315 1 month ago
Chargers315
Although some argue that there is no point in living, I say there is. You shouldn"t feel like you"re going through the motions, do the same thing every day, and it is not fun at all. I believe that you should bring some sort of change to the world. For example, do you believe that someone like Johannes Gutenberg had an effect on us? Because he made the "assembly line" of printing, he was able to mass produce books, which led to an extreme rise in literacy and knowledge. He still helps us today because of something he started. Of course, his invention became more modernized, and we can make triple of what he made in a year in just one month, but he was the guy who started it. There are many more people like this, world leaders, inventors, philosophers, athletes, and many more professionals all have an effect on our actions and ideas, thanks to their help.
Posted by Throwback 1 month ago
Throwback
Roflol!!!
Posted by backwardseden 1 month ago
backwardseden
Throwbarf most certainly does not believe in living because he's a christian.
"If you found out today that I went to hell, would you be sad? Yes. And if there"s no sadness in heaven does that mean that when you get to heaven that you stop caring about me, does that mean, would that still be you? Would there ever be a you that doesn"t care about me? Yeah see "that I"m not a theologian" is an admission of defeat. Because what they are doing is saying "I believe something but I really don"t understand it and I"m not really comfortable with it and I don"t need to be an expert in it" even though if this were true it could be the single most important thing anybody could understand. Because all of the life becomes ---nothing--- if you were to spend an eternity somewhere. That would have to be the most important thing. There"s reasons why churches, catholic churches have declared suicide to be a mortal sin is because they recognize the doctrines they are teaching, the natural progression, if there was no prohibition would be for people to kill themselves right now. "I walked out of the confessional. I"m right with god. Let me just off myself right now because that"s just going to get me there." So they have to put a prohibition in ah that suicide is going to send you straight to hell. Cause if you kill yourself you cannot keep donating to the church." Matt Dillahunty Wow is he right. So dare christians kill themselves early to grab an "early" taste of heaven? What if life is so miserable and scummy and scuzzy that the individual would see suicide as his only option? Or what if the individual has a brain disorder and its depression that causes suicide? Oh but that's not in the CHRISTIAN book. But nowhere does it say that it is. Now sociopath psychopaths like Throwbarf, he doesn't respect one fricken thing and he has no genuine friends or loved ones, so what's his le miserabe excuse for sticking around and not visiting his god in which he cannot even prove exists?
Posted by SirNoodles518 1 month ago
SirNoodles518
The one purpose of life (in my opinion) is to be selfless and make others happy. Yes, it's inevitable that we will die and we are just an irrelevant spec in the universe. But we still have emotions and can feel happiness or sadness so I think our job is to help others enjoy this life no matter how irrelevant we are to the universe.