robygfurber
republicofdhar

Is there a relationship between minimum wage and the economic development of a country?

republicofdhar
Started: 10/4/2014 Category: Economics

robygfurber

Pro

Of course there is a relationship because the minimum wage it's what keeps the countries from giving unfair salaries to it's employees.

Please give your opinion and feedback. It would help me so much if you had facts.
republicofdhar

Con

Heck, accepted. The burden of proof is on you to prove that there is a clear relationship between the two, that extends into the long run. After you've presented your arguments, I will present rebuttals and reasons that there is no clear relationship between minimum wage and a country's economic development.

Good luck bruh.
robygfurber

Pro

robygfurber forfeited this round.
republicofdhar

Con

My adversary has sent me a message to concede the debate.
robygfurber

Pro

robygfurber forfeited this round.
robygfurber

Pro

robygfurber forfeited this round.
republicofdhar

Con

I assisted my adversary by offering arguments for both sides of the debate. I have replicated them below, with their limitations:

Pro:

1. Many indicators can be used to define economic development but the most commonly used ones are part of the Human Development Index (HDI). The HDI comprises indicators like GNI per capita (basically how much on average each citizen of the country makes). Surely implementing a minimum wage raises the lowest level of income made by a citizen of the country and thereby raises the average wage rate of the country (this leads to economic decelopment).

Limitation: Not all minimum wage laws are passed across the country, some target specific industries only, perhaps based on demographics of workers in that industry. I'm from Singapore, and here we have minimum wage for the cleaning industry only. Cleaning workers are mostly aged and it is imperative that they make a basic wage, even as their jobs are replaced by machinery. A specific or targeted minimum wage law cannot be said to affect the country enough to affect its economic development.

2. Another indicator in the HDI is life expectancy at birth. Minimum wage allows more people to access a basic level of healthcare and improve both their material standard of living, and their life expectancy. The same can be said of children born in such families. For that reason, minimum wage leads to economic development.

3. The last indicator of the HDI is expected years of schooling. Minimum wage allows for more people to be able to afford a decent education for their children. Furthermore, for poorer countries, it helps to ensure that parents don't need to stop their children from going to school to make them work and support the family, given that they can afford a basic lifestyle.

Limitation: Minimum wage encourages complacency, and may not have all the benefits that are outlined.

Con:

1. A relationship cannot simply be a causal relationship. It would be too simplistic. For two variables to be related, the effects of one on the other must be clear and predictable. This is not the case for minimum wage and economic development. Firstly, minimum wage has a lot of drawbacks. (Google these: complacency, put strain on businesses, increased unemployment etc.) all these skew the effects of minimum wage and make the relationship uncertain. To say that minimum wage has a clear relationship with economic development also assumes that it would affect development uniformly and universally. That is simply not the case.
robygfurber

Pro

robygfurber forfeited this round.
republicofdhar

Con

I know that this wasn't a real debate but I'd be grateful to voters nonetheless for some points for arguments maybe. :)

Thank you robygfurber, for this interesting question.
Posted by Atmas 3 years ago
Atmas
In other words, Cheyennebodie, most of the comments we've read of yours (I haven't read any of your debates) have been your opinions, which is all fine and good, but not when you bash someone else for taking the opposite opinion. A minimum wage prevents corporations from charging $0.08 per day for hard manual labor, if there was no minimum wage, the corporation would surely take advantage. Corporations only care about profit to the detriment of everyone else, any kind of good action taken by them that reduces profits are from being forced too. The reason minimum wage must go up, is because the cost of living goes up, reducing the efficiency of money, and requiring more of it to live the same standard of living. So if low wage workers don't get an increase in their pay (because the corporation certainly aren't going to do it themselves) they won't be able to afford basic necessities. And no, not everyone has the ability to go to Harvard or Oxford and become a lawyer and make 6 figure salaries, some people are going to remain low wage workers for the rest of their life, and they need protection from being taken advantage of.
Posted by republicofdhar 3 years ago
republicofdhar
Not going to waste my time. If you have anything of substance to say or debate, I'm willing to accept a challenge from you.
Posted by cheyennebodie 3 years ago
cheyennebodie
Not here to win debates. I'll let that for those who thinks that is important.

What is unsubstantiated about my comments?What did I say that is not true?Enlighten me .
Posted by republicofdhar 3 years ago
republicofdhar
Cheyennebodie, you have lost every single debate that you have partaken in thus far. Based on the voters comments, it appears to be because you tend to make vehement, unsubstantiated assertions. I would ask you to please think your comments (they really are very judgmental) through properly before you write them down.
Posted by cheyennebodie 3 years ago
cheyennebodie
Why is every one so obsessed with a minimum wage as if that will be a career goal.Only lazy people will wait for government to increase their worth.It is not my nor anyone else's responsibility to get anyone more skills so they merit a higher wage.Not just make more because of the way you vote.
Posted by republicofdhar 3 years ago
republicofdhar
robygfurber, please also define whether this relationship must be positive.
Posted by hatshepsut 3 years ago
hatshepsut
The proposition is then: "That every country should have a minimum wage law." There is probably a relationship between a country's economic development level and the passage of such laws: The USA passed its first minimum wage law in 1938 as the Fair Labor Standards Act. Here, economic development is causal, the law is the result.

I think you're asking if the relationship goes the other way: "Does having a minimum wage law increase a country's level of economic development, its GDP, say?" If so, this would support the advocacy for such a law. But truth is harder to argue in this direction. Most of the world's countries do in fact have a minimum wage law on the books, but it's often meaningless, either because it's not enforced, or because the wage is set so low that no one actually pays or earns it.

That's how people wanting to kill the U.S. minimum wage approach their problem. They rarely advocate repeal, they just resist any increase in the minimum wage and wait for inflation to render it moot. Reagan tried that in the 1980s, when it stayed at $3.35/hr. from 1981 to 1991, although the CPI price level nearly doubled in that time period. Reagan simply vetoed all the hikes passed by Congress during his 8 years in office, and his successor, George H. W. Bush, waited close to two years into his term before agreeing to an increase to $4.25.
Posted by Pfalcon1318 3 years ago
Pfalcon1318
@republic, what argument could you offer to suggest that minimum wage does not have a relationship with economic development? PM me a outline if you dont want to post it here.
Posted by republicofdhar 3 years ago
republicofdhar
You must define the indicators you are using to quantify economic development before you debate this. If you define them properly, I may take up this debate.
Posted by republicofdhar 3 years ago
republicofdhar
Vote Placed by lannan13 3 years ago
lannan13
robygfurberrepublicofdharTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture