Jeeexo
Rational_Thinker9119

Is there alien life?

Jeeexo

Con

No, there IS alien life. The universe is HUGE, and we didn't even explore most of it yet, and there is bound to be other life forms other than just humans.
Rational_Thinker9119

Pro

I thank my opponent for starting this debate.

Rebutting My opponent

My opponent comes out of the woodwork right off the bat with a non-sequitur[1]. "There is bound to be other life forms than just humans" does not logically follow from "the universe is huge". There are missing premises that have not been inserted into Pro's argumentation, which are necessary to conclude that there is indeed alien life.

Pro's opening argument is not sufficient to establish the resolution; which is the burden Pro chose to undertake by starting this debate. Thus, according to the debate outline, the resolution has been negated.

[1] http://www.merriam-webster.com...
Jeeexo

Con

I also thank my opponent for accepting the challenge.

First of all, scientists believe that our observable universe is only 5% of the entire universe, which means that even though they didn't find any aliens yet, keep in mind that the universe is much larger, and what my argument is that there is alien life, not intelligent alien life, and that said, there most likely would be a scenario the same as Earth, where microbial life would exist somewhere in the universe.

Rational_Thinker9119

Pro

I refered to "Con" as "Pro" in my last round, because he is actually taking the Pro position. Regardless, the size of the universe and Earth like planets are not enough to get you other life in this universe. Pro would have to show abiogenesis is common, or that it did not just happen on Earth. Because "Pro"/"Con" (w/e) has not meet the BoP, the resolution is negated.
Jeeexo

Con

Jeeexo forfeited this round.
Rational_Thinker9119

Pro

My opponent forfeited.
Jeeexo

Con

Jeeexo forfeited this round.
Jeeexo

Con

Jeeexo forfeited this round.
Rational_Thinker9119

Pro

My argument stands.
Posted by Jeeexo 4 years ago
Jeeexo
Oops, I am new to debate.org and I want to sharpen my debating skills. Thank you for catching my mistake.
Posted by Rational_Thinker9119 4 years ago
Rational_Thinker9119
Con, you should have picked "Pro" if you wanted to argue FOR aliens existing.