CalmYourTits
CarolHan

Is there any proof that God exists?

CalmYourTits

Con

Although I used to be a Christian, I'm pretty set on my beliefs that God does not exist. However, I want to hear from a Christian to see if they have any proof that God exists. I do not believe that the Bible is a valid example of proof. Some of the reasons for my disbelief in God:
1. When I was going through hard times, I began to doubt God. Being a Christian at the time, I did everything I could think to do so I could save my faith. I fasted, read my Bible daily, and constantly prayed, asking God to show himself to me. After weeks of repeating that same routine, I realized that if God really was there, he knew exactly what would help me get my faith back, yet nothing happened.
2. There are so many devastating events going on in the world. Why isn't God doing anything? If he's there, then he is watching millions of people die from horrible situations every day. That does not sound like a God that deserves to be worshiped.
3. So basically, everyone who doesn't believe in God is going to Hell, yes? What about that child living in poverty who has never heard of any sort of religion? What about that scientist who is an atheist, yet saved millions of lives by finding a cure to a fatal disease? According to Christians, these people will burn in Hell, not for being horrible people, but because they don't know God. But that Christian who had Premarital sex, abuses his wife and children, and attempted manslaughter, is going to Heaven because he was "sorry" for his sins. Makes sense, right?
So, I guess that's about all. Feel free to Show me any proof of God you may have, just remember that I am not accepting the Bible as proof.
CarolHan

Pro

The bible is a good source that proves god is true.
Also faith does play a role in the life of a Christian. For the person who truly wants to seek God and learn to please Him, notice:
"But without faith it is impossible to please Him: for he that comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him" (Heb. 11:6). Faith is vital to a Christian. In fact, without it, no one can please God. Notice, this verse says that those seeking God "must believe that He is." A deep belief in God, who "rewards" all who "diligently seek Him," requires PROOF of His existence. After proof has been established, then"and only then"can one have FAITH"absolute CONFIDENCE"that what he does is being recorded in God"s mind, to be remembered when he receives his reward. If you are uncertain that God exists, because proof of that existence has not been firmly established, then, under fire, your faith will wane or disappear.
http://realtruth.org...
1. Does God exist? The complexity of our planet points to a deliberate Designer who not only created our universe, but sustains it today.
Many examples showing God's design could be given, possibly with no end. But here are a few:
The Earth...its size is perfect. The Earth's size and corresponding gravity holds a thin layer of mostly nitrogen and oxygen gases, only extending about 50 miles above the Earth's surface. If Earth were smaller, an atmosphere would be impossible, like the planet Mercury. If Earth were larger, its atmosphere would contain free hydrogen, like Jupiter.3 Earth is the only known planet equipped with an atmosphere of the right mixture of gases to sustain plant, animal and human life.
existence of GodThe Earth is located the right distance from the sun. Consider the temperature swings we encounter, roughly -30 degrees to +120 degrees. If the Earth were any further away from the sun, we would all freeze. Any closer and we would burn up. Even a fractional variance in the Earth's position to the sun would make life on Earth impossible. The Earth remains this perfect distance from the sun while it rotates around the sun at a speed of nearly 67,000 mph. It is also rotating on its axis, allowing the entire surface of the Earth to be properly warmed and cooled every day.
And our moon is the perfect size and distance from the Earth for its gravitational pull. The moon creates important ocean tides and movement so ocean waters do not stagnate, and yet our massive oceans are restrained from spilling over across the continents.4
Water...colorless, odorless and without taste, and yet no living thing can survive without it. Plants, animals and human beings consist mostly of water (about two-thirds of the human body is water). You'll see why the characteristics of water are uniquely suited to life:
It has an unusually high boiling point and freezing point. Water allows us to live in an environment of fluctuating temperature changes, while keeping our bodies a steady 98.6 degrees.
proof of God Water is a universal solvent. This property of water means that various chemicals, minerals and nutrients can be carried throughout our bodies and into the smallest blood vessels.5
Water is also chemically neutral. Without affecting the makeup of the substances it carries, water enables food, medicines and minerals to be absorbed and used by the body.
Water has a unique surface tension. Water in plants can therefore flow upward against gravity, bringing life-giving water and nutrients to the top of even the tallest trees.
Water freezes from the top down and floats, so fish can live in the winter.
Ninety-seven percent of the Earth's water is in the oceans. But on our Earth, there is a system designed which removes salt from the water and then distributes that water throughout the globe. Evaporation takes the ocean waters, leaving the salt, and forms clouds which are easily moved by the wind to disperse water over the land, for vegetation, animals and people. It is a system of purification and supply that sustains life on this planet, a system of recycled and reused water.6
The human brain...simultaneously processes an amazing amount of information. Your brain takes in all the colors and objects you see, the temperature around you, the pressure of your feet against the floor, the sounds around you, the dryness of your mouth, even the texture of your keyboard. Your brain holds and processes all your emotions, thoughts and memories. At the same time your brain keeps track of the ongoing functions of your body like your breathing pattern, eyelid movement, hunger and movement of the muscles in your hands.
existence of God. The human brain processes more than a million messages a second.7 Your brain weighs the importance of all this data, filtering out the relatively unimportant. This screening function is what allows you to focus and operate effectively in your world. The brain functions differently than other organs. There is an intelligence to it, the ability to reason, to produce feelings, to dream and plan, to take action, and relate to other people.
The eye...can distinguish among seven million colors. It has automatic focusing and handles an astounding 1.5 million messages -- simultaneously.8 Evolution focuses on mutations and changes from and within existing organisms. Yet evolution alone does not fully explain the initial source of the eye or the brain -- the start of living organisms from nonliving matter.
2. Does God exist? The universe had a start - what caused it?
Scientists are convinced that our universe began with one enormous explosion of energy and light, which we now call the Big Bang. This was the singular start to everything that exists: the beginning of the universe, the start of space, and even the initial start of time itself.
Astrophysicist Robert Jastrow, a self-described agnostic, stated, "The seed of everything that has happened in the Universe was planted in that first instant; every star, every planet and every living creature in the Universe came into being as a result of events that were set in motion in the moment of the cosmic explosion...The Universe flashed into being, and we cannot find out what caused that to happen."9
Steven Weinberg, a Nobel laureate in Physics, said at the moment of this explosion, "the universe was about a hundred thousands million degrees Centigrade...and the universe was filled with light."10
The universe has not always existed. It had a start...what caused that? Scientists have no explanation for the sudden explosion of light and matter.
3. Does God exist? The universe operates by uniform laws of nature. Why does it?
Much of life may seem uncertain, but look at what we can count on day after day: gravity remains consistent, a hot cup of coffee left on a counter will get cold, the earth rotates in the same 24 hours, and the speed of light doesn't change -- on earth or in galaxies far from us.
How is it that we can identify laws of nature that never change? Why is the universe so orderly, so reliable?
"The greatest scientists have been struck by how strange this is. There is no logical necessity for a universe that obeys rules, let alone one that abides by the rules of mathematics. This astonishment springs from the recognition that the universe doesn't have to behave this way. It is easy to imagine a universe in which conditions change unpredictably from instant to instant, or even a universe in which things pop in and out of existence."11
Richard Feynman, a Nobel Prize winner for quantum electrodynamics, said, "Why nature is mathematical is a mystery...The fact that there are rules at all is a kind of miracle."12
CalmYourTits

Con

Okay yes, the earth was created perfectly and can sustain life. However, who is to say thaconvertIng this? Why would God create an infinite universe, yet only make one planet able to sustain life? Let me explain why I said I was not accepting the Bible as proof. Sure, it's a really old book. But you cannot prove that it is actually the Word Of God. The way I think of it, saying that the Bible is proof that God exists, is like saying that comic books are proof that superheroes exist. Also, I would still like to know your thoughts on the previous questions that I asked. Why does God allow such horrible things to happen to some people? And why would genuinely good atheists(by good, I mean good people) go to Hell for having doubt? God knows what would convert Them Into Christians, but he doesn't do anything. Please know that I 100% respect your beliefs, but I am the kind of person who needs definite answers to things. As I mentioned earlier, I would like to know your thoughts on my questions. Thanks.
CarolHan

Pro

CarolHan forfeited this round.
CalmYourTits

Con

CalmYourTits forfeited this round.
CarolHan

Pro

CarolHan forfeited this round.
Posted by Sagey 3 years ago
Sagey
I like Pro's question, of why did god create an entire universe for a insignificant planet populated by insignificant animals.
It's just the same as creating New York for nothing more than a group of bacteria on a speck of dust on the corner of 11th and 12th Avenues.
Though they are in danger of Satan and his can of disinfectant.
Posted by asidy 3 years ago
asidy
Everything being "perfect" is not an example of an all mighty creator. There are 3 trillion planets in the observable universe. If you look at how bacteria adapt to their environment in seconds, you can easily see how it would be possible for whatever form of life to adapt to whatever situation.

With 3 trillion+ planets, and an endless amount of time how would you expect life not to develop? The world was not created for us, we were created for the world.
Posted by murphm17 3 years ago
murphm17
ok 1st off I am a Christian and love a good debit and 2nd look around you you think the perfection of everything can be made in an instant of exploding matteis said to be eternal while atheistss say that god cant be eternal makes since right 3rd god is not causing everything going wrong that is our own stupidity to our surroundings im not saying im better or anything im just saying that with good choices come good results while with bad choices such as rape or murder lead to bad reprucussions which upon seeing satan (if you believe he exists) comes and cause bad results for our bad ways of living while if we just listened to god we would not have these terrible results such as sickness death and murder
Posted by Valtin 3 years ago
Valtin
In Islam we have proof, i will be glad to prove to you that God exists and the Qur'an is the word of God, if you are Open-Minded we can speak or debate each other, peace.