SecularMerlin
marebarrow

Is there any such thing as a sanctity of life?

marebarrow has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

SecularMerlin

Con

Is there a "sanctity of life"? If so does it apply equally to all life? Or does "sanctity of life" apply only to animals, or perhaps only to people? It's strikes me that the many conflicting opinions on this subject, along with our nutritional requirements, render this phrase mostly meaningless.
Understand this is not a question of the moral implications of murder or utilizing animals as a food source. I am only interested in your position on the questions is life sacred and how many life forms are included under the umbrella of sanctity.
marebarrow

Pro

Life is sacred...but honestly some people do not see this. The very definition of the word sacred is to be "connected with God (or the gods) or dedicated to a religious purpose and so deserving veneration." *
There is not one person who will say to you that they have no religious opinion or belief, and be telling the truth. Even if all someone lived for was to prove whether or not God or a god exists, it would still be a religious pursuit.

Going towards the subject of whether or not this complex phrase refers to other "life forms", such as animals, doesn't seem like a logical possibility. So I would actually have to say that I am against this particular notion being true.

*Found on Google Dictionary.
SecularMerlin

Con

Then why on earth did you take up the pro position.
Also if atheism is a religion then abstinence is a sex act and my favorite football team is I don't like sports.
Posted by SecularMerlin 1 month ago
SecularMerlin
I fail to see the connection canis. Maybe it's just that I don't know where you work but I feel like that doesn't actually prove anything except that you claim to have gainful employment.
Posted by canis 1 month ago
canis
Yes.... I go to work..
Posted by SecularMerlin 1 month ago
SecularMerlin
May I add you as a friend Lirille? You would be my first on this site.
Posted by SecularMerlin 1 month ago
SecularMerlin
That is a well reasoned response and hard for an empathetic intelligence to argue with. I like the term special instead of sacred also. If you have other comments you may direct them to my profile and I look forward to debating with you further possibly on a topic that is more contentious to us
Posted by Lirille 1 month ago
Lirille
Examples of necessary harm would be killing for sustenance or self defense, while unnecessary harm would be killing for entertainment, by negligence or by accident.

See, many living organisms are harmed "unnecessarily" in nature, mostly by accident. I don't like it, but it's part of the natural world and there's nothing we can do to prevent that. Life being "special" to me doesn't mean we have to protect all life at any cost, regardless of cirscunstance. I just believe that we should help where we can. I'm not about to go out in the woods to try to prevent animals from accidentally trampling a little plant, but if a bug falls in my swimming pool, I'll certaintly help it out. But mostly, when I'm say I'm bothered by "unecessary harm", I'm concerned with voluntary harm done by humans to other living organisms for no justifiable reason whatsoever - like destroying a plant just because you're bored.
Posted by FollowerofChrist1955 1 month ago
FollowerofChrist1955
SecularMerlin;
And it was answered. There is no ambiguity in the response? It was clear, consise and to the point.
Your delusions not withstanding!

To suppose that humanity has a hope of defining sanctity, is clearly obtuse given humanities history!
Posted by SecularMerlin 1 month ago
SecularMerlin
I relish the opportunity to clarify as the answer to the question what is unnecessary and what is sanctified seem to be one and the same to you, corrections welcomed
Posted by Lirille 1 month ago
Lirille
"Just for the sake of it" would be a good example of unnecessary. Now, discussing the boundaries of what is necessary and what is not would be a whole new debate... =)
Posted by SecularMerlin 1 month ago
SecularMerlin
Please defined unnecessary
Posted by Lirille 1 month ago
Lirille
I don't believe there's anything inherently sacred about life, but many of us (incuding myself) come to feel that there's something extraordinary about it, and that life should be preserved. I don't know if that's true for anyone else, but in me I think this feeling may be explained by empathy - as a living organism myself, I feel an identification with other living organisms, and therefore I feel an urge to protect them from unnecessary harm.