FirmlyLeft
ItzTrae

Is there any truth behind the story of Noah's Ark?

FirmlyLeft

Pro

There are quite a few stories in/near the Middle East about a great flood, which one faithful family avoided by building an ark. The Sumerians had Utnapishtim, the Greeks had Deucalion, and the Jews had Noah. All three of these stories are very similar. The world is full of wicked people, so the god(s) send down a great flood to wipe clean the earth. However, one faithful family/person survives by building a really big boat, and so humanity survives. The fact that it is that widespread is a clear piece of evidence that a great flood, while maybe not covering the entire earth, did happen.
ItzTrae

Con

So, Noah built an ark big enough for two of every animal that breathed with its nose. First of, that's roughly a million animals. So, that's gonna be one huge boat. Now, you had to build this boat only using stuff that was available at that time.

Now, there had to be a way of keeping the ark cold enough to house the animals that needed to keep cold, but you had to keep it warm enough to keep certain animals warm.

Plus, you need to have food for the people and animals. Now, could you imagine keeping food for all these animals?

Thirdly, you had to have people to shovel all the poop that the animals produced. I think there were only eight people on the ark. Even if there were more, you gotta imagine it would take a lot of people to shovel up all the poop.

You had to keep the animals from breeding or that would multiply the number of the animals on the boat. What if the animals bred? There wouldn't be enough space to have a million of animals making babies.

You had to keep the carnivores from eating each other, or that would only defeat the purpose of putting the animals on the ark in the first place.

This is my first argument. I don't know much about the story, but what I do know is counteracted by common sense. Goodluck, bro!
FirmlyLeft

Pro

FirmlyLeft forfeited this round.
ItzTrae

Con

So, do I win? D:
FirmlyLeft

Pro

FirmlyLeft forfeited this round.
ItzTrae

Con

ItzTrae forfeited this round.
Posted by Torvald 4 years ago
Torvald
The title is so ambiguous, it could be in a religious doctrine. Is there any truth to the story of Noah? Of course, it could be as minor a truth as "There was such a place as Asia" or "There are animals on Earth," both of which are examples of truth relevant to the story of Noah, and both totally useless things to debate unless you're imabench.
Posted by aero36 4 years ago
aero36
I believe the geologist's have estimated that the strait of Gibraltar opened up and flooded the area that is now the Mediterranean Sea
Posted by Mr.sarcastic 4 years ago
Mr.sarcastic
I conquer
Posted by MrJosh 4 years ago
MrJosh
If you are asking if there is ANY truth, the answer has to be yes, even if the biblical story is based on a minor flood that had no casualties. I think you have made your position so general as to be unassailable and simultaneously say nothing.