mariegalbrae
Shadowhuntress

Is there ever a valid reason to fight?

mariegalbrae

mariegalbrae

Pro

First round is acceptance. I will be debating that there are situations where it is valid to fight. My opponent will be disagreeing and saying that under no circumstances is it right to fight.
Shadowhuntress

Con

I take it round one is just accepting the challenge. In which case, I accept. I will debate against the topic of 'is there ever a valid reason to fight?'.
mariegalbrae

Pro

I think that yes, there are valid reasons to fight. If you were being threatened (for example, getting kidnapped, or someone holding a gun (or other weapon) to your head) then yes, you should fight back to protect yourself. Who wouldn't? I would definitely fight my way out of a situation where my life was being threatened, but, speaking of which, what would happen if I killed the person who threatened me? (whether is be by accident or not) Then would it be right then? If you kill someone, then I think that valid reason should come to an end, which makes it not a valid reason at all after the fight is over, even though it was valid in the beginning.
Fighting is wrong, but fighting for what you believe in is right. Thousands upon thousands of people have fought for our freedoms and rights. Look at the countries who fought in World War II. Look at the women who fought for all of the women so they could have the rights to vote. Isn't that right? Is it really wrong to not stand up for yourself and what you believe in?
But then, is it right for Russia to fight Ukraine, and for Ukraine to start fighting back? Is it right for fights to turn into killing?
It isn't the starting a fight that is valid, but the ending of the fight. Can one stop, even though they had victory when the other is lost and down? Or do they have to keep going so that one fight could turn into twenty, into a hundred, into a thousand, and then the number of fights turn into the number of people dead?
As you can see, one fight that could be once valid, could also turn into something that isn't valid anymore. But, as in the scenario at the beginning of my argument, where one is being threatened, it is valid to fight for your freedom.

In conclusion of my first argument, it is valid to fight, there are just many limitations and rules to what is 'valid' and to ones interpretation of valid. My understanding is that it is 'right' or 'correct', but valid can only stay valid for so long.
Shadowhuntress

Con

I do think fighting is right in certain situations. For example, if your life is being threatened, of course you should fight back! However school fights and bullying is not acceptable. Children are built to do what they see others do. If your child sees you hit the man stealing your purse, they may hit someone later.
Fighting as in war is also unacceptable. War kills people. It is taking away a persons life, taking away their breath. We should be able to live in peace.
Terrorists and gangs are born partly from child abuse and neglect, which, in it's on way, is a kind of fighting. Violence leads to violence, fighting to war. Fighting threatens lives and can injure people.
mariegalbrae

Pro

In some situations, maybe a child does need to fight back at school. If they are being bullied severely, then I think it is okay that they can fight back, for example just to protect yourself. I don't know about you, but if I were a child being punched, I would fight back, but only to protect myself. Sometimes, people can't understand words, and need something else, so they can understand what they are doing, and that it isn't right.
I also agree that war is unacceptable and that killing is also unacceptable. This is not a valid reason to fight.
Also, hitting a man for stealing your purse, might not be valid either. I would probably chase after him, or call the police. I wouldn't go ahead and punch him as he hasn't done anything majorly wrong in the first place!
I agree that we should live in peace, but there will always be someone who doesn't agree. No matter how we change the world, at least one person will appear saying they don't like it. And even if we could live in peace, we don't, so I would accept valid reasons on fighting and I would fight if it would save my life or one of someone else, but I would not kill someone to do so.
Shadowhuntress

Con

If a child is going through physical bullying, they should seek an adults help rather than hit back. Hitting them will only make them hit you back, and in many schools both of you will be expelled.
There is a pattern to violence. A kid gets bullied or abused and they seek to release their anger. Many do it in a violent way. If they don't learn to control their violence, they may fall into an abusive relationship or crime. There are many long term effects of physical child abuse and bullying, which are both forms of fighting. (https://www.childwelfare.gov...)
mariegalbrae

Pro

I agree that a child should not fight back, but they should be able to protect themselves during the fight if there are no one around to help. They should not just let the bully hit them. It is okay once to protect themselves, as longs as they stop. Once they 'escape' they can get an adult, and stop the bullying.
If they start hitting you in the first place, then a good old punch in the delicate areas will get you free and you can then get an adult and stop it. As I said before to keep fighting back isn't good, but a few punches here and there JUST so you can escape is okay. As long as you stop before you get too violent, I think that it is okay to fight your way out.
In conclusion, there are valid reasons to fight, such as when you're being threatened, you're standing up for yourself, and you're getting yourself out of a bad situation. But, these valid reasons could turn into invalid reasons if you don't stop when you should.
Shadowhuntress

Con

Just one punch is all it takes to make a habit. They may think it's for the better, but in reality it does more harm than good. One punch, and then they realize just how good it felt to be in control. Take the beating then go and get help. That's the way to go.
School fights lead habits that lead to war and destruction. It's better to just say no that one time and not have the violent habit then try and break out later.
In conclusion, there is never a valid or justifiable reason to fight.
Posted by Shadowhuntress 3 years ago
Shadowhuntress
Thank you! I need the practice.
Posted by mariegalbrae 3 years ago
mariegalbrae
Thank you for this debate!
Vote Placed by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
mariegalbraeShadowhuntressTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con concedes with his first sentence in round 2