straightup.gong
mfigurski80

Is there life after death?

straightup.gong has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

straightup.gong

Con

There is no life after death.

Life is defined as "the condition that distinguishes animals and plants from inorganic matter, including the capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change preceding death", or "the existence of an individual human being or animal."
Death is defined as " the end of the life of a person or organism."

If death is the end of life, then there can't be life after death. During death, the vital process in cells and tissue permanently ends meaning that since life is growth, reproduction, and functional activity, there can't be life after death.
mfigurski80

Pro

I accept, and thank you for creating this debate.

Note to Con: I love how you defined death as "the end of the life". Hilarious. I'm not sure what kind of debate you were expecting. Anyway, here's some semantics and nit-picking:

Argument 1:
Lets do a thought-experiment. In case Con asks, this is a legitimate thing promoted by Einstein (http://www.businessinsider.com...).

Say, for example, that we have a world containing around 7 billion people. The exact number is irrelevant. Now, say that one person in that world dies suddenly. Is there any life?
Answer: yes. There is still 6.999999999 billion people alive. Therefore, life still exists after death.

Argument 2:
I understand that Con may deem the above argument as unconvincing, as I've only put one link and zero really big words, so lets do another thought experiment. This too is promoted by Einstein, who did many (http://www.businessinsider.com...).

Say, for example, that we now have a world with only one person. Irrealistic, huh? Its just imaginary though. Anyway, this one person dies. Is there any life in that world, or is it all inanimate matter that doesn't bear the capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change? (Notice: my definition is taken from: http://www.debate.org.... I don't care that it self-references. )

Yes.

The human body is inhabited by three times as many foreign cells as human cells (https://en.wikipedia.org...).And, of course, even the human cells don't all die at once, leading us to believe that, maybe, life still exists after death.

Thank you
That would be all
England prevails.
straightup.gong

Con

I see that you've used technicality against me. Smart. I realize that I didn't specify, my bad. I meant that if a person dies, their own subconscious dies as well. Their life ends, not the life around them, but again that was my mistake.
mfigurski80

Pro

Extend points...

Anyway, I think the definitions you provided didn't allow for an actual debate. If you ever redo this debate, try to redefine death as to give just a glimmer of hope for the PRO side... before you smush them underneath your logic of course.

As to my personal thoughts on the RESOLUTION, well, life as defined here does certainly end. Whether the person actually dies, well, you'd need to figure out what constitutes a person first, and my definition leads me to believe that a person doesn't actually die. If you don't think so, well, our definitions must differ.

As a person extremely biased towards my own worldview, I'd suggest you review your definitions, but you probably won't listen to me anyway. So I won't insist.

:)
Hope you have a spectacular day outside of the computer screen.
Posted by PowerPikachu21 1 year ago
PowerPikachu21
There is this theory of reincarnation. "Theory" being the key word, as conclusive evidence of it existing doesn't really exist. I personally believe reincarnation exists, because that's wishful thinking from me.
Posted by thebestdebate 1 year ago
thebestdebate
Theologically speaking there is existence after death, but this isn't "life;" I would accept but you would immediately have me on a technicality.
Posted by thebestdebate 1 year ago
thebestdebate