the_banjo_sender
DATXDUDE

Is there no hope?

the_banjo_sender

Pro

Hope is a funny little thing. Nobody seems to do it, and yet everyone expects it. Is there no hope for human kind? Will society ever be "fixed?" Or is the world just going to get worse?

I have hope. I sincerely hope that things will get better. But I find it hard to believe that they will. Part of this is human nature. Humans as a whole want the world to be better...for themselves. The only people who truly have the ability to change things do not have any desire to do so.

Villains are running rampant, killing honorable volunteers. Fires are started, burning through the very moral code upon which the universe was established. When peoples' own person opinions get in the way of doing what is right, things get messy and morality is lost. What can we do?
DATXDUDE

Con

Pro has the burden of proof to show that humans have NO possibility of having a future that we would want.

I will assume that those were just were your opening statements because you have provided no definitions, and you have no organized arguments (contentions).

I will also assume that the first round is for acceptance, so I accept this debate.
the_banjo_sender

Pro

What is the best thing that the human race can hope for? Extinction. Assuming the universe lasts forever (depending, obviously upon one's world view), Humanity has really no chance of ultimate survival for this infinite number of years. Entropy ensures that the human race will end and that there is very little, in the grand scheme of things, we can do to stop it.

Is there anything in the material world that has worth? Cars, planes, those fancy pinball machines that flick the balls to hit the characters, granting you bonus points? None of these things are useful once yer dead, my friend.

Everything ends.

VFD
DATXDUDE

Con

You still have no organized arguments. Whatever.

I think we still have at least a 0.000001% chance of hope because humans do have empathy, and the desire to better themselves. Also, we haven't died out yet.

I know I don't have any organized arguments, but neither does Pro. And everything he has said pertains very little to this debate, or are claims that are unsubstantiated.

Vote Pro.
the_banjo_sender

Pro

My claims are very relevant and to the point, thank you very much. What hope does humanity have on its own power?

I challenge Pro to name one thing that has eternal value that save humanity. Empathy is nice, but what on earth will it do to save the human race from ultimate self-destruction?

Take, for example, any tragedy where any number of people have been killed. Obviously, the Paris Attacks came first to mind for me. How does empathy prevent terrible things from happening? What possible future does the human race have, in the really long run? Given that the expanse of time is infinite (see my argument-full previous argument), there is absolutely zero chance that humanity will survive in the great grand view of things. All of the problems we have (insert any problem out of the 100 zillion problems humanity faces) are not being fixed; if anything, they are getting worse. Our morality is skewed, our well-being is compromised, our flaws are exploding out of control. Is there any way humans can fix this dilemma by themselves? Con challenges Pro to name one. If he can name one that is irrefutable by me (although it was desired that he would have done so before the final round) I shall concede. Maybe. But probably not.

Argument 1: What is there that humanity has made better? Haven't technological advances led to social issues (bullying, scam, hacking) and increased abilities to maim or kill (nuclear weaponry, bio weapons)? Has government led to anything beneficial for the rest of the infinite expanse of time? Is anything we do meaningful in the grand scheme of things? I can think of no such thing.

In response to the 0.000001% chance of things being alright in the end: This is absurd. See, percentages go out the window in the event of the infinite expanse of time. Yes, things may get momentarily better from that one century from year 3015 to year 3087, but in the long run, none of it matters. The earth will be enveloped by the sun, the same thing will happen to any colonies that humans have built and in the long run....

There will be nothing.

Everything Ends

VFD
DATXDUDE

Con

"Take, for example, any tragedy where any number of people have been killed. Obviously, the Paris Attacks came first to mind for me. How does empathy prevent terrible things from happening? What possible future does the human race have, in the really long run?"

This was a response to your claim that morality was lost.

"All of the problems we have (insert any problem out of the 100 zillion problems humanity faces) are not being fixed; if anything, they are getting worse. Our morality is skewed, our well-being is compromised, our flaws are exploding out of control."

In a debate, you need to back up your statements with evidence. You have not done this.

" The earth will be enveloped by the sun, the same thing will happen to any colonies that humans have built and in the long run...."

Not if we move from the Earth, or develop a fusion reactor (I think that's what it's called).

"If he can name one that is irrefutable by me (although it was desired that he would have done so before the final round) I shall concede. Maybe. But probably not."

I don't care if you concede. Let the voters decide who won. Although I really don't care to be honest.
Posted by DATXDUDE 1 year ago
DATXDUDE
You can't say there's NO hope left. That means that there is a 0.00000000000000000% chance that we would have a future that we would want. I think that humans are evil in nature, but we DO have the ability to resist our nature.
Posted by BlackFlags 1 year ago
BlackFlags
You can hope for something without it necessarily ever coming true. In that sense there is most certainly hope.

Life is meaningless without dreams. Without dreams you are not a human, not even an animal, because animals have dreams too.