Is there such a thing as luck? Good luck or bad luck?

People talk about luck. What is luck? I don't belive in luck. I believe that there is always a cause and effect for each and every phenomenon in the world.

Hi Con. Thanks for an interesting topic and good... luck :D

Since the debate title is in a form of a questions I'm gonna assume that I'm arguing that luck exists. The BoP is on both sides since we both make some claims.

Since no definition of luck was offered by Con I'm gonna give common definition that I'm not arguing for and common definition that I`m arguing for.

Definition of luck:

a) : a force that brings good fortune or adversity
b) : success or failure apparently brought by chance rather than through one's own actions.

I'm arguing for definition B and definitely not definition A.

This is it for now, because i don't want to have 1 more round for arguments then Con.

Pleasure, sorry my first time debating on this really cool site.

Yes, you would be arguing that luck exists. I am arguing that it doesnt.
I will agree with your definitions.

Ok, do you think it is by random chance that the earth and sun operate in synergy with each other.
If the sun were any closer we would burn to death. Any further then we would die. Basically there would be no life on earth.
What about our moon. It plays such an important role in regulating our ocean tides.

My first time too.

Lets rebut and answer what you wrote and then put some arguments of my own.

"Ok, do you think it is by random chance that the earth and sun operate in synergy with each other. If the sun were any closer we would burn to death. Any further then we would die. Basically there would be no life on earth.."

No its definitely not by random chance. Earth orbits around the sun because the law of gravity and centripetal/centrifugal force are in right ratio so that we are safely orbiting at the right distance around the sun. And since this is the case, Earth was suitable enough for the this life to emerge.
However, I would not say that there would be no life necessarily it things were different since there might be some life forms in the universe that are able to survive in temperatures and environment very different then Earth`s temperature and environment is.
I also agree that Moon plays important role in regulating tides.

I agree with you that there is cause and effect in natural world as long as we are talking about "creatio ex materia" (since in quantum mechanics some particles tend to pop in and out of existence without an causal link.)

However I think that luck I'm arguing about is not mutually exclusive with causal, natural world.

If luck is a "success or failure apparently brought by chance rather than through one's own actions." then if there is chance for something to happen and it happens in my favor, then that is luck by definition. The more improbable and favorable outcome the more lucky I am. Before something happens there is a probability of that event to happen since we don't know all the parameters of the cause and effect. If we were omniscient then we could not be lucky since we would know every outcome.
Lets take for example the case of wining a lottery. That is a extremely improbable event that someone happens to win. Of course there is a cause and effect to why those particular numbers were picked. Lets say lottery machine that shoots balls with numbers on them in such order that those numbers had to be winning ones. So what ? The fact that you "predicted" those numbers still make you a lucky winner because you happen to be the one with right numbers. You were successful by chance of getting the right numbers because you had no idea about outcome.

Lets take second example : You walk on thundery day and lightning strikes you and kills you. Lightning is a result of cause and effect . Within a thundercloud way up in the sky, many small bits of ice (frozen raindrops) bump into each other as they move around in the air. All of those collisions create an electric charge. After a while, the whole cloud fills up with electrical charges and release its charge in a form of lightning.
That being said, there was a very small chance that this lightning will hit you. If it still does then that's called bad luck.

Don't get me wrong, its not like nature favors some people and disfavors other. Nature does not give a damn about what we want and consider favorable. However that is exactly what makes nature unbiased so that when the outcomes are in our favor against all odds we call it luck. Luck is not some force. Its just a concept we assign to certain people that happen to succeed or lose by chance.

This is not to say that there is true randomness in a nature (pseudo-randomness is possible in the form of unpredictability within deterministic systems. Also radioactive decay is considered to be random along with many quantum mechanic phenomena)..
I don't think that throwing a couple of dices and their outcome is truly random. For example If you know everything about a table, and everything about the dice being thrown, and everything about the air around the table, then you will be able to predict the outcome.
However if this happens without you knowing those and you happen to guess those, then that is considered to be luck by definition. So it exists. Not as something physical, not as some force but as an certain attribute we assign to some people and events.

Good luck.

sean1980 forfeited this round.

Shame that Con didnt have time to respond (or whatever his reasons were)

Anyway I think that I made better case so vote for Pro.
Posted by leatherneck50 1 year ago
There is no such thing as LUCK. It is the power of thought. If you want something then ask for it, believe in it and accept it and always be grateful for what you are asking. The power of the universe. You can be negative and everything that could go wrong will go wrong and not in your favor. If you are positive in life then guess what you can have and achieve anything that your heart desires.
Posted by MagicAintReal 1 year ago
Chip Denman put it best:
"Luck is probability taken personally"
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
randomness at your favor
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: FF, so conduct to Pro. No arguments were made by Con, they simply asked one question in the second round. Pro on the other hand made a great deal of arguments which were never refuted by Con. Sources were only used by Pro.