ryanbriggs04
MeargleSchmeargle

Is there such thing as a good and an evil

ryanbriggs04

Pro

Scott Peck used to collect religious jokes and this was one of his favorites. Chatting in Hell were a Catholic priest, a Jewish rabbi, and a New Age minister. Why were they down there? "Back on earth I was a whiskey priest," the Catholic says. "I loved the booze more than anything." The rabbi pipes up, "It was ham sandwiches that did for me. I just couldn't leave them alone." They both turn to the New Age minister and ask why he's in Hell. "This isn't Hell," he replies huffily, "and I'm not the least bit warm."

Peck's serious point was that the problem with the New Age movement and prevailing attitudes today was the denial, not so much of Hell, as of the existence of evil. Peck believed that evil was an ever-present part of life and he marshalled some good evidence for that view. But I think the hardest issue for a thinking person to decide today is whether good and evil really exist at all, as a force outside (as well as within) humanity. For me that is a much harder question, and a more important one, than whether God exists. The question also, I believe, has vital implications for how we live our lives and even for how we run our businesses.

MeargleSchmeargle

Con

Good and evil. It is always clearly depicted in those disnep movies as beutiful princess and hideous witch. In other places, it is treacherous Muslim "extremists" and heroic and patriotic Americans. If you are the latter, would you as the dragon, or Muslim "extremist" be seeing Princesses and Americans as good? You might. But most will not. They have different perspectives on those knights in shining armor, whose blade will slit their throat. End their life. Everyone in this world has a spesific reason to commit thyself to one action or another, whether or not it is considered good. In reality, good and evil as a collective term is simply impossible given the plentiful perspectives there are in the world.
For instance, soldiers of the US army are viewed as heroes by their people at the time of return to their home. However the opposite side would view them as treacherous villains that robbed many of their childeren of their parents. Another example would be a murderer where most anyone would consider them as bloodthirsty. But what if you considered that their motive may have been to conserve natural resources from the ever expanding human population? These scenarios show that no matter how one society can label something as good or bad, another society can say opposite. This is the main reason that a collective concwpt of good and evil cannot be coined by any person; perspective makes such a term impossible.
ryanbriggs04

Pro

ryanbriggs04 forfeited this round.
MeargleSchmeargle

Con

MeargleSchmeargle forfeited this round.
ryanbriggs04

Pro

ryanbriggs04 forfeited this round.
MeargleSchmeargle

Con

MeargleSchmeargle forfeited this round.
Posted by Retributionist 1 year ago
Retributionist
Sounds like Subjectivism to me.