libertyforall
kenicks

Is there such thing as a truly selfless act?

libertyforall

Pro

This question randomly popped into my head once (not because of that friends episode) and I really thought about it for a while and at first came to the conclusion that no, there is no such thing as a truly selfless act. However, after some more thought and personnal experience, I realized there are definently selfless acts. For example, I was sleeping once and got a call from a friend who was stranded at a movie theater. I got out of bed and went to get her. I was tired, felt like crap and didn't have much gas but I went to get her anyways. She was very gratefull but I did it just because. I did it knowing I wouldn't recieve anythinf in return. I didn't feel good afterwards and I dind't feel good about myself for doing it or anything. I acted upon instinct for helping friends. I didn't do it for personal gain and didn't get any from it.
kenicks

Con

Libertyforall, i'd like to start off my argument with the a simple contradiction that states why I chose to partake in your debate: there are no such things as selfless acts. Selfless acts are nonexistant, simply figments of our imagination that we wish existed. The term 'selfless act' is merely an expression that puts a clever magic trick on us in order to make us feel better about things we do for others, when these 'selfless acts' are merely just ruses we use to get pleasure in the outcome.

We've all heard about that story where the 10-year old boy finds a purse, seeks out the address of the owner, and finds that it belongs to a rich, elderly woman living in a mansion. She is overjoyed from the boy's honest, kind ways, and gives him a $500 dollar reward he uses to buy a new puppy. In some cases, the 10-year old boy is a 16-year old boy, who is rewarded with not only the elderly woman's cash, but her gorgeous granddaughter, who just happens to have broken up with her boyfriend and is looking for someone on the rebound. We all want that story to turn to a reality, and the typical American seeks out these opportunities not to perform a selfless act for others, but for the ratification at the end of the road; the incentive.
libertyforall

Pro

While it might be ture that the majority of the time, people do good things with the expectation that they will recieve something good in return, that most certainly not the case for all. There are plently of people who do things for the greater good and sacrifice many things that will actually make thier life worse. Look at soldiers in the army, although some join simply for economic reasons and some join thinking it is going to be cool, I think the majority of people in the army join because they want to serve thier country. They join to protect our country knowing they could very well be killed. Please explain how dying for your country is selfish. It is one of the most selfless acts there is.
kenicks

Con

Libertyforall, based on your past arguments bringing up the pros, benefits, and supposed selfessness of the military, I can assume you have very patriotic and supportive feelings about the our country. While I may not be as devoted to the US of A as you are, I'll respect your opinions and carry on as unbiased as possible.

However, I must contradict your beliefs on the military and the characteristics of those who enroll. You said that "although some join simply for economic reasons and some join thinking it is going to be cool, I think the majority of people in the army join because they want to serve thier country." This, I do not agree with. While some join because they want to serve our country, many of those who are in the army, military, or navy, have been brought up on the concept that the military is not just the best, but only path one must take in his life. Many soldiers in military branches have relatives, mainly fathers, who raised them throughout their childhood with military morals or rules; intimidating them when they should've forgiven them, screaming orders for household chores; even the simple concept of saying goodnight are uptight and cold.

My grandfather was raised on this method, and he tells me that his childhood was filled with despondence and lacked the one thing he needed most, fatherly love. He says that While the military is a way to serve your country, it hardens you as a person. His words made me appreciate my father at a greater level; he was selfless in not bringing me up on military methods. Carrying over the harsh interior you developed and taking it out on your children; that's the least selfless thing one can do.
Posted by kenicks 9 years ago
kenicks
Rshortman, I would like to bring up the following points:

1: I am not a liberal, conservative, nor a socio-economical political commentator; I am not politically knowledgeable enough to have any set opinions and consider myself an independent.

2: I have little time for video games; in fact I have never played Grand Theft Auto.

3: I am an avid reader.

4: I am unfamiliar with MTV's programming.

You, on the other hand, must be an avid MTV viewer, based on the fact that your vocabulary consists of profanities.
Posted by libertyforall 9 years ago
libertyforall
I am actually not patrotic at all. However the military isn't actually what is selfish my, the selfish people are the ones who controll the military (politicians). Anyway, I am disapointed to see that you totally abandonded the topic of the debate in your second argument. I was just using service in the military as an example. I didn't want to debate about it.
Posted by rshortman 9 years ago
rshortman
Kenicks: The man who is not satisfied, who wishes the world could be just a little sh*ttier than it is already. Wouldn't it be great if people just completely gave up on the idea of selflessnes and did everything in complete self-interest? Isn't that a world you want to live in??

But I'm glad you said it. Glad because your argument clearly defines you as a very young and inexperienced liberal with the same backwards, filthy media sense of morality that loves children but hates family. Doesn't mind Al Qaeda but thinks people who wear fur should burn in hell. Thinks American soldiers are witless lemurs but has nothing to say about the astrocities of communist governments.

Listen up Kiddo, years of watching MTV and playing Grand Theft Auto does not make you a socio-economical political commentator nor give you any right to disrespect the soldiers who gives their lives to protect and safeguard the continuity of the very freedom you enjoy. Read a f**ing book once in a while.
Posted by bonnieboy 9 years ago
bonnieboy
go knicks! you are the bomb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot lol he realy owned the other guys butt...
Posted by C-Mach 9 years ago
C-Mach
There is no such thing, because if it were selfless, it wouldn't get done. You'd have to apply yourself to it. So, it wouldn't be selfless either way, because you're involved. I'm not saying that you shouldn't do "selfless acts," as a matter of fact, I am a heavy proponent of them.
Vote Placed by kenicks 8 years ago
kenicks
libertyforallkenicksTied
Vote Placed by careless-smith 8 years ago
careless-smith
libertyforallkenicksTied
Vote Placed by cliffsofdover 9 years ago
cliffsofdover
libertyforallkenicksTied
Vote Placed by towinistosucced 9 years ago
towinistosucced
libertyforallkenicksTied
Vote Placed by docargument 9 years ago
docargument
libertyforallkenicksTied
Vote Placed by blehblehblehblehbleh 9 years ago
blehblehblehblehbleh
libertyforallkenicksTied
Vote Placed by jhbnhijd 9 years ago
jhbnhijd
libertyforallkenicksTied
Vote Placed by common_sense 9 years ago
common_sense
libertyforallkenicksTied
Vote Placed by workersaregoinghome 9 years ago
workersaregoinghome
libertyforallkenicksTied
Vote Placed by eatingpoopiscool 9 years ago
eatingpoopiscool
libertyforallkenicksTied