shakuntala
Duncan

Is this a very scary poem

Duncan
Started: 7/10/2013 Category: Arts

shakuntala

Pro

I found this poem very frightening but the real scary bit comes right at the end

http://www.scribd.com...

A knock at the door then ""tis thy niece" was heard
from his pink tinted lips these words did slip
Come sensations come
Without thee I cease to be
Come to me cure me of this atrophy
Duncan

Con

My curiosity has been piqued by the bizarre nature of this question. No, you have submitted an erotic poem about a man using a prostitute to relieve his "tensions", with the prostitute using the fake name of niece. Why is this a debate again?
shakuntala

Pro

you say
"My curiosity has been piqued by the bizarre nature of this question. No, you have submitted an erotic poem about a man using a prostitute to relieve his "tensions", with the prostitute using the fake name of niece. Why is this a debate again?"

First
"Why is this a debate again?"

do you find this poem scary and frightening

Second
how do you arrive at this conclusion
"a man using a prostitute to relieve his "tensions", with the prostitute using the fake name of niece"
to me you are missing the poem due to some hung ups or issues you may have
Duncan

Con

Firstly, I think that this is a ridiculous debate topic because it's a question. Try Yahoo Answers next time, or at least the opinions section of this site.

Secondly, it's pretty damn obvious that this is an erotic poem, now I have to delete my search history again because I must return to the The-Voluptuary-erotic-poetry page. Goddammit. It's in the name that it's an erotic poem. It's all about people who are addicted to sensation and sex, and your favorite part is about the arrival of the prostitute.

Please give a reason as to why this is scary next time, kay?

Awaiting your response, Duncan
shakuntala

Pro

con says
"Firstly, I think that this is a ridiculous debate topic because it's a question. Try Yahoo Answers next time, or at least the opinions section of this site.

Awaiting your response, Duncan"

point 1 con says
"secondly, it's pretty damn obvious that this is an erotic poem...It's all about people who are addicted to sensation and sex, and your favorite part is about the arrival of the prostitute."

con does seems to have some hang ups and issues up around erotica and sex which bias his opinion

now back to the issue
point 2
con does not tells why the poems is not scary
he gives no argument
only letting us see his sexual hang ups

all he says is
"Secondly, it's pretty damn obvious that this is an erotic poem..."
but that does not tell us why he disagrees that the poem is scary

thus con does not refute the post
"Is this a very scary poem"
Duncan

Con

I don't know what to say at this point. I found Debate.org about two months ago in a hospital wing. Since then, it's been the best place for debates I've known, but I always assumed that swearing was not permitted, as grammar and politeness usually would be associated. It turns out I was wrong. I apologize for the misunderstanding, but I hardly find it suitable to then accuse me of "sexual hang ups", which is of course untrue. But I am 17, and still live with my family. I cannot afford to have something like this show up in my search history.

Now, if you've had enough personal attacks made, I'll begin. Your only reasoning that this poem is scary in any way is that you found it scary. But why? I asked you to specifically state why you would find this scary, and I thought it absurd that you would be scared of an erotic poem in the same way you're not scared by every poem in the world. You are the proposition. You have the burden of proof, and your only evidence is your own opinion. I have nothing to prove.

This debate is over, but perhaps we'll argue again,

Duncan.
Posted by shakuntala 3 years ago
shakuntala
you say
"to see whether the instigator is a self obsessed, attention seeker."

Ii bet you would not say that if I was Dawkins

Dawkins flogs himself in the media
i bet you would not say Dawkins is a self obsessed, attention seeker
Posted by Duncan 3 years ago
Duncan
Amazing. A second debate has begun in the comments section to see whether the instigator is a self obsessed, attention seeker. I know whom I'm rooting for....
Posted by shakuntala 3 years ago
shakuntala
you say
"His ideas are derivative and unoriginal (and often internally contradictory)"

same could be said for Dawkins-he just pushes orthodox biological/evolutionary ideas
you seem to not complain at him
but you do for dean- how contradictory

but to the point
you say dean is not original
I asked you to give us sources of someone else who is saying what dean is saying ie "science loses its privileged position as a knower of the universe"

so put up or keep your dislike for dean to your self
Posted by shakuntala 3 years ago
shakuntala
you say
"If you posted articles and poems by Richard Dawkins incessantly, all over the internet under different screen names (but utilizing the same rather unique syntax and terrible grammar), I would think you were a stalker, since Richard Dawkins has no need to self-advertise, being an accomplished scientist and author. It's not so much Dean's non-celebrity that's the problem, it's that nobody would cover someone so untalentedwith such fervor. His ideas are derivative and unoriginal (and often internally contradictory), and despite what he would have us believe he doesn't go "beyond" anything that's been done before. His "erotic poetry" is crass and even vulgar. Literally anyone with an internet connection has access to more sophisticated minds.

If Richard Dawkins DID post his books to DDO, no, I wouldn't complain. I would download them to my ebook reader, because Dawkins is a sophisticated, intelligent author with an impressive academic history. All things which Dean is not."

quote
"If you posted articles and poems by Richard Dawkins incessantly, all over the internet under different screen names (but utilizing the same rather unique syntax and terrible grammar), I would think you were a stalker"

no you would me as a stalker but just a fan of him and you would not complian

quote
"If Richard Dawkins DID post his books to DDO, no, I wouldn't complain"

so whats the difference Dawkins posting and dean
dont just cry but dean is a no body
if you want complain if Dawkins does it
so why complain if dean does it
dont just cry but dean is a no body

quote
"His "erotic poetry" is crass and even vulgar"

and thats the real point you have hang ups and issues- you dont like his poetry so in your mind you then just dislike anything he does
you sure are not an objective person
but one driven by subjective emotions
Posted by ArgentStorm 3 years ago
ArgentStorm
If you posted articles and poems by Richard Dawkins incessantly, all over the internet under different screen names (but utilizing the same rather unique syntax and terrible grammar), I would think you were a stalker, since Richard Dawkins has no need to self-advertise, being an accomplished scientist and author. It's not so much Dean's non-celebrity that's the problem, it's that nobody would cover someone so untalentedwith such fervor. His ideas are derivative and unoriginal (and often internally contradictory), and despite what he would have us believe he doesn't go "beyond" anything that's been done before. His "erotic poetry" is crass and even vulgar. Literally anyone with an internet connection has access to more sophisticated minds.

If Richard Dawkins DID post his books to DDO, no, I wouldn't complain. I would download them to my ebook reader, because Dawkins is a sophisticated, intelligent author with an impressive academic history. All things which Dean is not.
Posted by shakuntala 3 years ago
shakuntala
you say
"Colin Leslie Dean is an untalented poet and philosopher from Australia who abuses sites like DDO and Yahoo answers in a vain attempt to gain exposure and promulgate his non-celebrity. If you examine Pro's profile, you'll see that all of his "debates" are based on material by Colin Leslie Dean. If you proceed to Google his name, you'll find that he has a history of utilizing "fake" profiles in order to do just this. Pro is, in all likelihood, the author of this poem: Colin Leslie Dean himself."

point 1 what if I was posting books written by Richard Dawkins would you then say I was Richard Dawkins

point 2
I bet Richard Dawkins could post his books on DDO but I bet you would not complain

point3 your only real issue is as you say
deans his non-celebrity
I bet if he was a celebrity again you would not complain
Posted by ArgentStorm 3 years ago
ArgentStorm
Colin Leslie Dean is an untalented poet and philosopher from Australia who abuses sites like DDO and Yahoo answers in a vain attempt to gain exposure and promulgate his non-celebrity. If you examine Pro's profile, you'll see that all of his "debates" are based on material by Colin Leslie Dean. If you proceed to Google his name, you'll find that he has a history of utilizing "fake" profiles in order to do just this. Pro is, in all likelihood, the author of this poem: Colin Leslie Dean himself.
Posted by sweetbreeze 3 years ago
sweetbreeze
No, it's not scary.
Posted by PatriotPerson 3 years ago
PatriotPerson
This is not something made to put on a debate. If you want people to review the poem, you can start a forum or an opinion.
Vote Placed by THElittleRISK 3 years ago
THElittleRISK
shakuntalaDuncanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con actually made arguments, Pro was barely coherent.