ihsalinas
spoon171

Is time travel a possibility?

ihsalinas

Pro

This is a subject that I toss around in my head everyday. Its not an obsession but more of a question thats never been answered.

I believe that time travel in the sense of traveling to the "future" is not possible, i.e.: robots, flying cars, and houses that float. But what I do believe is that we live day to day re-living a day that we did already, only to correct and fix problems of the day prior. What I'm trying to say is while we live this day today, we have already lived it. So in my sense, if you were to go to the "future" then you would run into a moron Neanderthal version of ourselves. And now if my theory is correct, out "past" or traveling backwards in time would lead us to a smarter more intellectual version of ourselves. Now all of this, like I'm going to repeat constantly, is based on we live the same day, day to day, like we do now only correcting and making our life better than what we have done, or possibly make worse, only to fix since it will only continue on in our other life. Not yet lived by us, but lived by our "yesterday" self.

I will state "yesterday" or "past" as our smarter corrected days. "Tomorrow" or "future" as our dumber self. This may seem confusing to some people, but if you understand, Lets rumble...
spoon171

Con

This debate to me is quite reminiscent of the movie "Groundhog Day." If you are unfamiliar, this is the exact story of your argument. According to IMDB "A weather man is reluctantly sent to cover a story about a weather forecasting "rat" (as he calls it). This is his fourth year on the story, and he makes no effort to hide his frustration. On awaking the 'following' day he discovers that it's Groundhog Day again, and again, and again. First he uses this to his advantage, then comes the realisation that he is doomed to spend the rest of eternity in the same place, seeing the same people do the same thing EVERY day."

It is this synopsis, that leads to my disagreement with your argument. According to your theory of time travel, we re-live our lives everyday in order to make our life better, to have achieved a perfect existence. However, to do so, we have to be aware of what we have done that day. We must be cognisant of the "past." Now, I can be aware of what I did yesterday, but you say the day I live today, I have already lived, I have already typed this post, and I have already seen the episode of the west wing I am watching now every day. However, I have no recollection of what I am doing right now. This means that your theory is impossible. It is impossible for me to correct the mistakes I have made today in the "past" if I am unaware of what I have done. It is also impossible to prove that this information is available in my subconscious.

And you say robots and flying cars is impossible....come on, they could happen, especially if we consistently relive our days, we can spend hundred of lifetimes working on the plans and making them better =-)
ihsalinas

Pro

ihsalinas forfeited this round.
spoon171

Con

Maybe my opponent is constantly reliving this day to think of answers to my arguments....I was looking forward to more arguments.....with hope, they post in the third round.....
ihsalinas

Pro

ihsalinas forfeited this round.
spoon171

Con

sadly, a concession.....Although I do think that my opponent offered an interesting perspective on time travel, movies like groundhog day disprove the notion, since we lack any conscious or unconscious awareness of constantly reliving the day, this theory is impossible......Also, if actual time travel was real, you could look at what famed author Kaku wrote, that time travel would cause a rift in space, imploding the world..... =-)
Vote Placed by U.n 11 months ago
U.n
ihsalinasspoon171Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.
Vote Placed by turtlecool2 8 years ago
turtlecool2
ihsalinasspoon171Tied
Vote Placed by Ethereal 9 years ago
Ethereal
ihsalinasspoon171Tied
Vote Placed by Capt.Herp 9 years ago
Capt.Herp
ihsalinasspoon171Tied
Vote Placed by james94 9 years ago
james94
ihsalinasspoon171Tied
Vote Placed by spoon171 9 years ago
spoon171
ihsalinasspoon171Tied