Is time travel possible?

I believe time travel is possible, and will be reachable in the future (unless the human kind will destroy itself...)
round one: Acceptance and introduction
round two: First argument
round three: Reply and more arguments (if there are more)
round four: Reply and conclusion, termination. No new arguments in this round!

Howdy, I accept your debate. 1st one so don't judge too hard.

yuvalne forfeited this round.

I forfeit this round

I'm sorry I forfeited the last round, it happened accidentally. So, I guess we go to two round instead.

Time travel is difficult. Very difficult. But I still believe it's possible. (Not today, sure. If it was, I'd have traveled back and prevented my forfeiting.)
First of all, time isn't simple as most people think. It's more like, you know what? Perhaps it's better that an expert will explain:
Time and space aren't different things at all. As Einstein proved in General and Special relativity, time is actually linked to the space, which makes the spacetime. Spacetime, as he claimed, can be bent, and make some strange effects.
First of all, the wormholes. Einstein-Rosen bridges, more known as wormholes, are "shortcuts" in the universe. Wormholes not only allow to travel in space, but also in time. (Because space and time are actually one thing, remember?) If a wormhole could be created and controlled, it can allow time travel quite easily. (wormholes: wormholes in simple English:
The next option is Tipler cylinder. The cylinder could enable time travel in one of the two conditions: if the cylinder is infinite, which is possible using the ancient cosmic strings ( or exotic matter ( Both possibilities are constantly researched, and sooner or later one of them might be solved. (about Tipler cylinder:
The last solution and my favorite is the TARDIS bubble. It's a pretty complicated idea, but it is science. I think that I'm not capable of explaining the idea without quoting the entire paper, so you are invited to read it by yourself. Simple version: , full version:
If there are so many ways that will probably will be within reach in the future, I believe one of them will be achieved.

Instead of using round three as it was defined in the round 1 section fro replies and more arguments I will refrain until round four for a reply and reserve this round for an argument.

Before going any further I would like to say to argue that something is impossible is foolish and ultimately paradoxical thus I will be arguing that current theories of time travel are impossible as I can not possibly know all things at all times.

I do not believe time travel is possible as the theories to do so are from a perspective of our current understanding of science. The idea of trying to define a way to travel in time at our current tech level is analogous of a Roman monarch waxing about an internal combustion engine.

We only have math to support such theories, I have yet to read one that supplies actual numbers along the lines of energy or supplies it would take to construct such a machine to travel through time. This is important as though there may be math to support such travel if the means to do such travel are impossible to achieve it thus makes the travel itself impossible.

I don't think an argument about paradoxes are reasonable as if they were relevant we would already know of them.

You've claimed that we don't have math to support our theories currently, if I got you right. But I tell you that we have. All of the time-travel methods originate from the General and the Special relativity, and all of them are calculated precisely and accurately by Einstein's equations. The reason that nearly all of the articles do not include numbers and calculations, is because most of the readers will not understand those numbers and will only be confused by them.
I, for example, do not try to understand the physics of time travel, because of the simple reason I haven't learned enough about the General relativity and about the spacetime to understand the theories completely. I try to understand the main idea, and mostly trust the scientists they don't lie to me about it.

Physics accepts and explains time travel. I agree that we shouldn't discuss about paradoxes, but I simply want to say that there's a limit to the human knowledge, which the paradoxes arise from. (There are even some paradoxes in our 'normal' universe, like those of a black hole.)

If many physicists can explain the time travel, I think that it is probably possible. If they claim that sooner or later we will have it, I believe them. Wouldn't you?

An interesting perspective about time travel:
Wikipedia (I recommend to view the page, it might explain a lot):

I'm not sure how you got that I don't think there is math to support time travel. Let me directly quote my own argument "We only have math to support such theories." Which means that there is indeed math to support the concept of time travel, however there is little else to support it. My argument is not that there is a lack of math or physicists supporting time travel but any numbers concerning the actual needs to time travel. By that I mean there are no specifications of how much energy, material or time it would take to complete the process.

Use a wormhole: okay how much energy does that take to create or manipulate? How much time and money does it take to create a device to survive such a voyage.

Use an infinite cylinder: Okay how much does it cost and how much energy do we need to make an infinite cylinder?

Make a tardis: Okay what goes into creating such a machine?

All of these theoretically could time travel, and the math supports it but there are things other than math that are needed to actually travel through time. If those other things are not attainable then time travel, no matter what the math says, is impossible.
Posted by dude100 6 months ago
to zookdook,
to travel to the past is practically impossible with our current technology, but with a few upgrades, and a massive amount of energy we could theoretically travel to the past. You're assuming that time is a linear concept.... it's not. Think of timelines as more like a web extending three dimensionally and apply this concept to daily living. Now say you're walking a path, and you see a fork in the road, that would resemble a fork in the web. Now also on the way to the fork did you itch your nose with your left hand or right hand? Or rather did you scratch your back? all forks on the web. In Stephen Hawking's hypothesis (i want to emphasize hypothesis) infinite possibilities are available. So if humans ever happen to invent time travel to the past, and you chose to go back in time to kill your grand parents, then hypothetically it's just another fork in the road of possibilities. An infinite number of you in an infinite number of universes with an infinite number of everything else.
Posted by dude100 6 months ago
Time travel is evident we do it every day currently we move forward in time at a rate of 1 second per second :). not to be a smartass but Einstein's theory of relativity suggests that time is relative thus constantly changing. Example, a massive earthquake in japan forced all atomic clocks to be readjusted in order to compensate it. Time, is relative to many things including but not limited to velocity, mass, acceleration, gravity ect...
Posted by yuvalne 7 months ago
Well, when I started this debate I meant time travel in major time differences (and yes, I know I can't define 'major'. use your common sense). In minor scales we time travel all of the time (Relativistic time dilation & Gravitational time dilation), but those differences are so tiny, that even if you travel in space in a huge speed like, 30000 km/h, for two years, you still time travel to about 20 miliseconds into the future (20 miliseconds is, btw, the world record in time travel,
Posted by zookdook1 7 months ago
Forward time travel is, theoretically, fine. But backwards travel is impossible, else it would cause paradoxes. For example, I go back and kill my grandparents, meaning I was not born, meaning that they were not killed, meaning I was born, meaning they were killed, meaning I was not born, etc.
Posted by Stonehe4rt 7 months ago
Lol, that is techincally true. But I think he is wanting to know if we can travel 2 hours in 1 hour. It should be said, can we increase or decrease the speed that we are traveling through time.
Posted by MagicAintReal 7 months ago
We're time traveling right 1 hour per hour.