scarlettjames
yyhoo

Is veganism the best lifestyle?

yyhoo has forfeited round #3.

scarlettjames

Pro

Why are people so against veganism/vegetarianism?
yyhoo

Con

I believe that veganism is not the best lifestyle. Many people say that veganism should be encouraged because animals are living organisms and therefore should be protected. However, plants are living organisms too, and they supply food to the animals. If we kill off so many plants to suit the vegans and vegetarians, we will also be inexplicitly harming the animals.
scarlettjames

Pro

I think a lot of people disagree with veganism because there is a lot of misinformation. Plants are living organisms but they do not have a nervous system so they can not feel pain. Animals can feel pain, and they can feel many emotions just like humans. Your argument that we would use the plants that feed animals isn't very well thought out. Billions and billions of animals are killed every DAY for human consumption. How do we get all those animals? We breed them again and again and again until they die. If we stop breeding them ( and eating them ) they wouldn't require as many plants as we have to supply them now. We could then replace animals farms with plant farms. There are also a lot of plant farms in underdeveloped countries that the US gets the grains to feed the animals. If we stop feeding these animals, people in these countries could eat the crops they grow.
yyhoo

Con

I"m not a vegetarian because I enjoy eating meat, meat is nutritious food, and I believe there are ways to eat meat that are in keeping with my environmental and ethical values. I don"t make the decision to eat meat lightly. Meat-eating has always been a messy business, shadowed by the shame of killing... Forgetting, or willed ignorance, is the preferred strategy of many beef eaters, a strategy abetted by the industry. (What grocery-store item is more silent about its origins than a shrink-wrapped steak?)...

Meat eating may have become an act riddled with moral and ethical ambiguities, but eating a steak at the end of a short, primordial food chain comprising nothing more than ruminants and grass and sunlight is something I"m happy to do and defend. The same is true for a pastured chicken or hog. When obtained from small farms where these animals are treated well, fed an appropriate diet, and generally allowed to express their creaturely character, I think the benefits of eating such meat outweigh the cost. A truly sustainable agriculture will involve animals, in order to complete the nutrient cycle, and those animals are going to be killed and eaten.

That said, I have the ultimate respect for vegetarians and vegans. For they have actually done the work of thinking through the consequences of their eating decisions, something most of the rest of us have not done. My own examination of those consequences has led me to the conclusion that eating a small amount of meat from certain kinds of farms is something I can feel good about. But we all have to decide this question for ourselves, and different people will come to different conclusions, depending on their values.
scarlettjames

Pro

Glad to see you know how to copy and paste
http://michaelpollan.com...

I somewhat agree with this article in that vegans think through the consequences of eating decisions. But I don't agree that even a small amount of meat is something to feel good about. Why should animals have to suffer at all when there are other options available? If you read the article you copy pasted it has another article ( highly recommend ) linked and it says:

"The industrialization"and dehumanization"of American animal farming is a relatively new, evitable and local phenomenon: no other country raises and slaughters its food animals quite as intensively or as brutally as we do. Were the walls of our meat industry to become transparent, literally or even figuratively, we would not long continue to do it this way. Tail-docking and sow crates and beak-clipping would disappear overnight, and the days of slaughtering 400 head of cattle an hour would come to an end. For who could stand the sight? Yes, meat would get more expensive. We"d probably eat less of it, too, but maybe when we did eat animals, we"d eat them with the consciousness, ceremony and respect they deserve."

If everyone would start by limiting their meat intake it would make a difference. Meat is not essential to human diet, in fact it is bad for us. So is dairy, eggs, etc. Why are animal products bad?

1. Over 70% of antibiotics produced, are for farm animals to make them grow at an unnaturally fast rate. Why is that bad? I couldn't list all the reasons, if you're interested heres a link: https://www.huffingtonpost.com...
2. Consuming animal products makes you resistant to antibiotics because of the antibiotics we give the animals.
3. It causes early puberty. All those hormones that the animals are given( plus the natural hormones the animals have )causes prepubescent children to enter puberty early from consuming hormones.
4. Meat increases heart disease and diabetes.
5. Eating meat puts you at risk for foodbourne illnesses.
6. Humans are the only species to consume milk in adulthood. We have no need for any milk from any animal, cow, dog, chimpanzee, etc.
7. 75% of the world is lactose intolerant. https://commons.wikimedia.org...

Like I said before people are misinformed. Most people have no idea the conditions these animals are in and when they do more research, they start to reconsider their eating habits.