debate.queen
TheLadyofTheInternet

Is vegetarianism environmentally and health friendly?

TheLadyofTheInternet

debate.queen

Con

Vegetarianism is proved to be extremely bad with obtaining the vital vitamins and minerals obtained when eating meat. Also, leading alternative brands such as quorn are proven to be more unhealthy for you and be much worse for the environment.
Given that cave men and old descendants have been eating meat for centuries isn't it sensible that we follow their diet? Or do vegetarians feel that this is a new way to a better and healthy life?
May I ask that we don't venture into the morals of vegetarianism and whether it is right to kill an animal.
I look forward to your feedback. Thank you.
TheLadyofTheInternet

Pro

I'm very happy to be your contender and hope for a very good debate.
A thing to bring up is what actually are we eating with meat. It is a common knowledge that hormones have been given to poultry and various other animals to enable them to mature faster but the hormones are passed on to humans and can lead to precocious puberty. Also there have been cases of horse meat been sold as beef and as a consumer we deserve to know what were being sold and in china various other animals have replaced what people thought was being sold. So as a consumer the only way to beat this problem is to raise and slaughter your own animals or spend extra money on meat that has not been chemically changed (or at least we can hope so)
debate.queen

Con

Thank you for taking the time to reply!
I agree, however is it not just as bad to be having meat substitutes that are genetically engineered and filled with poison that is much less natural than everyday meat you would by from a supermarket? The horse meat scandal shows that people take the time to look at the contents of the meat to check that it is the healthiest way to go. However, would a vegetarian know whether there was meat hidden inside their veggie burger? Maybe not. Also, I am 14 and a few of my friends are vegetarians. In general they are shorter and thinner than other people. This isn't bad, but it shows that without meat it is difficult to get the right balance of vitamins and minerals.
I look forward to hearing your reply!!
TheLadyofTheInternet

Pro

Vegetarians do take alot of time to see what is in there food substitutions I should know I was one. Another argument is that if they are shorter and thinner are they really being careful with there diet as vegetarian. Meat does have down sides too and there being a higher increase of heart disease and even cancer. A vegetarian diet may even be healthier because of most meats these days are processed which are very high in saturated fats that will lead to weight gain. There are also other vegetables that can replace meats minerals and vitamins iron is known to be found in meat but can also be found in tofu, spinach and lentils. As for the ancestor debate we ate meat because the alternatives worn't as available and were less known.
debate.queen

Con

Meat substitutes such as tofu have been proven to be worse for the environment. some minerals are possible to be had with other supplements it is virtually impossible to get all the Minerals for a healthy diet which nature intended. Our bodies are designed to eat meat as our ancestors ate meat. It wasn't because there was no alternative, it's because humans are designed to eat meat. Vegetarian miss out on omega-3 which helps with depression and personality disorders, calcium which has been proven that vegetarians have 5% on average weaker bone structure and are more likely to break bones. This vital nutrition can simply not be matched. Has a vegetarian never used glue or leather?

The whole circle of life revolves around humans eating meat
TheLadyofTheInternet

Pro

If i'm not allowed to talk about animal welfare it shouldn't allow you to talk about the environment cause both are ethical issues. If you want to win fairly i'd advise you to make it fair to everyone not just yourself. This link shows that vegeterians can live to be very healthy http://www.veghealthguide.com... There will always be that vegetarian who does not really look into it. But as a closing statement I have to ask if it is so bad for you why do so many people become one other from the obvious answer I really can't say people also do it for a much healthier lifestyle sure eating meats will give you more vitamins and minerals but being a vegetarian will give you a hell of a lot more nutrients.
Posted by debate.queen 3 years ago
debate.queen
Ok well this is my last debate anyway, thanks
Posted by TheLadyofTheInternet 3 years ago
TheLadyofTheInternet
I'm pretty much giving you tips now sure they're a little mean but it's good to learn what went wrong to make it not happen again.
Posted by debate.queen 3 years ago
debate.queen
I'm disappointed that you didn't like the debate. I'm really sorry for wasting your time
Posted by debate.queen 3 years ago
debate.queen
I'm sorry, but the question clearly says 'ENVIRONMENTALLY', which is what you signed up for before the debate. I was sticking to the question. Thank you, this is my first debate so thank you for being my opponent TheLadyofTheInternet
TheLadyofTheInternet
I did not believe this was a fair debate firstly how could you really make your statement with 750 letters it was really quite annoying. But she also made it very hard for the opposing teams not allowing me to talk about animal welfare but she could talk about environmental side of it and just below me she states it's clearly about health but she talks about the environment in the last debate and it's in the title. If I were you before joining one of debate.queens debates give it a close look because it might be a trap.
Posted by debate.queen 3 years ago
debate.queen
Bladerunner060 this is a debate about health, I understand your concern, however this is not an ethical debate
TheLadyofTheInternet
A challenge is always fun and this is a tricky one but I once worked with alot of vegans and you learn alot.
Posted by bladerunner060 3 years ago
bladerunner060
Excluding ethical concerns is unfair.

Not that I'm equating, but if we found that eating minced old-people was the healthiest diet, I would hope most people would still not do so.

I'm not accepting this because it's an attempt at a trap (and thank you for the warning kbub).
Posted by kbub 3 years ago
kbub
Warning! 750 character limit!
Vote Placed by Josh_b 3 years ago
Josh_b
debate.queenTheLadyofTheInternetTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con didn't fulfill his BOP. attaining health and environmental differently than meat eater does not prove that vegetarianism is unhealthy or not environmentally friendly