AbdullahJafris123
LostintheEcho1498

Is video Games beneficial for adults and children?

Started: 11/4/2014 Category: Games

AbdullahJafris123

Pro

This topic is a very misunderstood one. Parents tend to blame all their children's vices on these video games, However according to Dr Andrew's research at Oxford university, the link between violence or vices and games in children is very weak. It all depends on other factors like family background, personal character, parents background, upbringing etc. Playing video games, as shown by numerous researches, help to teach a child specific life skills. Children who tend to play games develop skills such as logical reasoning, strategic thinking etc. at a very early age than children who dont play video games.
LostintheEcho1498

Con

I accept your challenge. I hope for a good debate and as you gave no structure I will assume we will argue until the end or surrender. Let's get this party started:

1. Video games, specifically M rated ones, are actually detrimental to children. Those of younger ages are more heavily influenced by what occurs in their life, as you point out. Their whole background and environment take a toll on who they will become. This said, what makes video games beneficial to a helpful environment? Let me use an example. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2. It shows several obscene images that, admittedly, can be omitted from game play. The problem is, not all remove these scenes. Children are shown extremely harsh language and gore at even younger ages. I have spent time with 3rd graders and the number one topic of discussion? M rated games. Children are becoming more comfortable with the idea of harsh language and violence. How does this affect them? You say so yourself that children are affected by environment. What happens when these video games become the environment? When violence and gore becomes an every day occurrence, children are no longer uncomfortable with the idea of violence being the answer.

2. Another problem presented by these M rated games is that they fail to have realistic values. To explain, I recently was talking with a veteran from Afghanistan. It was in a setting with children of about 8 to 9 years old. The first question he was asked was "what is your k/d?". I immediately thought that it was funny and sad at the same time. These kids are becoming so attached to the idea of video games that they think wars happen just like the games show. You kill people, they kill you, but in the end you all respawn and go home. This is not reality and we are presenting this to them at this very young age.

3. To foresee the coming counter-argument, I will explain how these kids are getting their hands on these games. People with opinions much like your own who are parents and either a. Don't want to have to deal with their kid or b. See no problem with it. Both of these reasons are unsatisfactory to exposing children to this level of violence and then leaving them to figure out of what is real.

I seem to be running short on time and so leave this to you, Pro. Good luck!
AbdullahJafris123

Pro

AbdullahJafris123 forfeited this round.
LostintheEcho1498

Con

It seems my opponent has forfeited. I hope he will return and continue. I keep all previously stated statements and await for my opponents response.
AbdullahJafris123

Pro

AbdullahJafris123 forfeited this round.
LostintheEcho1498

Con

It seems that this debate has been more of a one-post-stand. Vote Con
AbdullahJafris123

Pro

Great argument by Con!
1. Firstly, M rated games are clearly only for mature gamers. If kids nowadays are playing it more often then it reflects the failure of PARENTS to prevent kids from playing it and the distribution system of these games. This simply cannot be blamed on the game itself. Moreover increasing number of kids are exposed to violence and foul language at school and at home. Let us take the example of schools. Many senior students in school bully children and use offensive language at school in front of the younger kids. Thus the younger generation will learn this inevitably. Next we will look into the environment at home. Almost all the houses have a television set today. And there are a lot of channels for mature audience in these TV sets also. How can we surely know that violence and foul language is learnt from games and not these channels. Also news channels keep on showing breaking news of suicide attacks,bomb blasts, rape, murder, looting etc which is obviously often watched by parents at home. Thus children will be exposed to these news briefings and videos showing all the above mentioned cases, which may encourage them in doing all these vices. This also depends on the other factors like family background, mental ability, home environment, parents control etc. Thus it cannot be mainly blamed on games.

2. Secondly there are people called PARENTS who are there to control the child and teach him what is reality. I know many parents who take time explaining to their children how things work in this world. And if u insist that games are the number one problem, then you should stop all the wars, raping, killing, murdering, looting, all the movies showing these and then come and argue here.

GOOD LUCK!
LostintheEcho1498

Con

Thank You for continuing this debate and I give you the best of luck. Here we go:

1. In your first section, you declare that, "If kids nowadays are playing it more often then it reflects the failure of PARENTS to prevent kids from playing it and the distribution system of these games. This simply cannot be blamed on the game itself." Let me point out where you say the, "failure of PARENTS", and, "This simply cannot be blamed on the game itself." I agree. The problem with this statement, is it has nothing to do with your resolution being, "Is video Games beneficial for adults and children?". No where do you say that, "Certain video games are beneficial for adults and children". If you want to blame the parents, good. You have found the symptom. Now time to identify the disease. Video Games. Parents cannot enable their kids without these games anyway. The resolution asks if they are beneficial which they are not. I have proven this and all that is being stated in this paragraph is the shifting of blame from the games to the parents. They are both at fault and so still proves my point. As for the latter half of your first statement, you say that the environment is becoming one of offensive language, etc. You also point out TV as a likely suspect for bad environment. Again, I ask, where does this answer the resolution? You try to shift blame once more except on to TV. The resolution is not asking if video games are the biggest problem, it want to know if they are one to begin with. Are video games contributing to a healthy environment for children in the home? No, they are detrimental. Are video games helping kids become physically or mentally healthy? Again, no. The only good quality of video games is the social factor but even then you have to pay for this. Your last statement for the first section also discredits your statements and only improves mine. "Thus it cannot be mainly blamed on games." So they can still be blamed, then? I recognize they may not be the biggest problem, but it seems you have agreed with me that they are a problem, this conceding your entire argument.

2. You again use parents as a scapegoat for the bad influence of video games. While the parents are allowing it, the kids are still playing them. The fact that they are being enable(which is bad anyway)does not change the fact that they are bad.

Thank You for this debate and give you best of luck once again :)
Posted by bombthezoms 2 years ago
bombthezoms
You know i kinda want to debate you but i think games are good so my heart wouldn't in it
Posted by Shrek_sDrecKid 2 years ago
Shrek_sDrecKid
I would love to debate, but I am actually with you on this; gaming for the wind!