Is wealth innately evil/sinful?

The accumulation of wealth is sinful in nature. It often makes people cruel, greedy, and detached from society. Jesus cast the money lenders out of the temple, and he many times spoke against wealth. Therefore, I believe that wealth in essence is evil. All people are worthy and deserving of love, and compassion. Although many of these wealthy people are cutthroat capitalists, and have no concern for the homeless, and downtrodden. I was wondering how others feel about this, whether you're religious or not.

I'm glad the Pro started this debate because it's been something I've been wanting to debate on here for a long time. Let me just start by saying I appreciate you all, and whoever wins, remember that God is in charge --- not us people.

Having said that, here is my reubttal: The Bible's attitude to wealth is that wealth is good!

Jesus became poor (i.e. gave up his divinity) so we can be rich:

"For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich." (2 Corinthians 8:9)

In fact, his "grace" is identified with riches:

"In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;" (Ephesians 1:7)

That isn't just spiritual riches --- its material too. God made us body and soul, and wants both to be well taken care of. And that can't be done if you're poor.

To those who believe in Jesus, God gives everything they need:

"But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:19)

The Bible, and the New-Testament in particular, is the clearest and most decisive argument for free markets there ever was. Capitalism was invented by Adam Smith, who was a good Christian man.

How did America get so rich? She is the richest nation in the earth and it was because of God's blessing! The real riches of America come to us because America is a Godly nation --- or it was. I'm not so sure anymore, to tell you the truth. But still there are many people who believe the promise of God:

"Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth." (3 John 1:2)

God is saying, poor, you don't have to be poor anymore! Patient, you don't have to be ill!

You can look over all the whole Bible and you'll find no verse that ever talks bad about a rich man. The rich are blessed by God and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

Remember the prayer of Jabez:

"And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me, and that thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested." (1 Chronicles 4:10)

This isn't some obscure little prayer tucked a way in a history book. It's the central thesis of the entire Bible as a whole! And it should be our prayer as well. Lord, enlarge the coast of my material blessings and keep me from evil!

So, in conclusion, the true Gospel is a Gospel of health and wealth. Just like you can't find health without wealth, or wealth without health, so you can't find the Gospel without prosperity.

And one of the best ways to know you have the spirit of God's health and wealth is receiving the gifts of the Spirit! I put a video of Kenneth Hagin and Kenneth Copeland doing just that! By seeing how joyful these people are just to be in Church that day, imagine what other joys God promises them through rewards even in this life!

This is real Christianity, brother! You can get rich because God died trying!

For more information on finding a Bible-believing, word and faith Church near you, go to:

Monetary value has no place in spiritual life. Jesus showed us how to live our lives, and if he wanted us to be wealthy, he would have driven a Rolls Royce. All men are equal in the eyes of God, so no matter how much money one has, they have no right to look down upon others. You cannot serve to masters, money and God, for one is pure, and one is tainted. We a person becomes wealthy, others must become poor as well. Wealth makes people mean, and puts itself before others. We have all the resources to feed the homeless, and help the poor, but we do not, because that would mean we would have to give something up, which greedy wealthy people are not willing to do.

Well, how this website works is you give us a topic of debate. Then, I rebut it, hopefully using reason and valid sources. Then, you refute what I said, and back up your own claims with reasoning and valid sources. Your statement in round 2 sounded like a lot of claims, but not a lot of source. I suggest you take your time on your next post and gather some valid sources to present your case. I enjoy having discussions and want to win, but I like challenges, too, and so far you're not really all that challenging.

Let me refute you now:

You write, "Monetary value has no place in spiritual life."

This just simply isn't so. As I pointed out, God himself said to Moses "Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth." (3 John 1:2) "Prosper" means to be wealthy, to grow in wealth. You simply cannot do that without money. How could God say to us, "I want you to prosper" but then, on the other hand say, "If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me." (Matthew 16:24) ?

You write, "Jesus showed us how to live our lives, and if he wanted us to be wealthy, he would have driven a Rolls Royce:

According to wikipedia (which I sometimes like to call "wicked-pedia", hehe), Rolls-Royce Motors was founded in 1973.

Jesus died probably in 33 A.D. Google calculator says that 1973 minus 33 equals out to about 1940. That means the Rollys-Royce was invented 1,940 years after Jesus died. And yet you say he had to drive one to show that he meant business? I reckon in another 1,000 years, if he doesn't come back, people like you will be saying he needed to drive a hover-craft! Now that's just simply not correct by any stretch of the imagination.

You write, "All men are equal in the eyes of God, so no matter how much money one has, they have no right to look down upon others."

This is true, but listen to the words of Jesus here:

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone? Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?" (Matthew 7:7-11)

Glory! So if I ask my heavenly Father to be rich, he has to give it to me. The words of the Bible are true, as it says in Proverbs 30:5 "Every word of God is true: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him."

Now that doesn't mean God will send one of his angels do your door with a stack of money, like Ed McMahon with a Publishers Clearing House check. No sir. But it does mean that if you want the entirety of God's promise, all you've got to do is ask. Then he'll inspire you with the dedication, fortitude and entrepreneurial spirit needed to get the job done.

Do you ever wonder why I can spend all day on Its because I (allegedly) have my own business. That's right -- I prayed to God one night for my own business and, in a few years of hard work, he gave it to me. What is my (alleged) business you ask? Pug-clothes dot come, brother!

You can't tell me those pugs don't dress in style. See, that's how God's wealth works: he'll give you a business just like that if you ask with the word of faith. It may not be selling clothes to rich old ladies to put their spoiled ol' pugs in, but it can be something. I'm sure in your heart there is something you want to do. Ask God to help you and he will provide. "Let's get you in something extraordinary, dear fashionable pug, today!" Hehe, I love that line.

Now don't go tellin' the tax man about my (alleged) business, because according to the Articles of Confederation, we are not legally required to pay any taxes on income. But try telling that to Uncle Sam!

You write, "You cannot serve to masters, etc. etc."

Let me tell you, if you serve God by putting your money to Godly use, the only master you're serving is God. And people don't need a hand-out. They need a hand-up! If you give a man a fish, he eats fish for a meal. If you teach him how to fish, he fishes for a lifetime! Not to get off the subject, but I was fishing just the other day and I caught some of the biggest blue-gill I ever saw! I like to clean them out at the dock, of course, and when I brought them home I made a real fine breading for them. I use Pabst Blue Ribbon, some crushed regular saltine crackers, a bit of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray, and the real trick: a bit of chili pepper and cheddar cheese powder. You can buy the latter as a soup mix, actually, but it works fine. Anyway, I grilled them up and boy were they some tasty blue-gill! Blue-gill is always tasty, but usually the smaller ones taste better. These ones were both big and tasty, though.

Anyway, the Pro has failed to burden the proof and cite any valid sources for his justification. As such, I believe I am winning this debate and I hope the voters believe it to!

StephenGayBaptist forfeited this round.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
It is not right for the rich guy to look down his nose at the poor.It is not right for the poor to look down his nose at someone that has more than they do.The smart person would learn from the wealthy guy, not hate him.Now fraud and stealing should not be followed. That is a given.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
Right on, emilirose.This guy knows nothing about Jesus . Jesus never said Anything against wealth, but against trusting in money. And there are millions of poor who are guilty of that.Even that rich guy in Mark 10th chapter. Jesus said if the guy had let loose of the money and trusted in God's covenants instead of his money he would have been 100 times richer, NOW IN THIS TIME.

Just a side note. Jesus had a treasurer.Judas. And the word says he was a thief. So there had to be plenty in the ministry account to cover his tracks.

For the life of me I cannot figure how people miss that.Jesus said in Luke 8th chapter, " give and it shall be given to you, pressed down , shaken together and running over shall God bless you.112th psalm God says wealth and riches shall be in the givers house. God can trust a giver. Not a hoarder. And there are plenty of poor folks that hoard things out of fear of not having enough in the future.There are at least three things in the first covenant that tells us why people are poor. Drunkenness, gluttony and laziness. Then there is bad judgment.

God never said that riches will ruin a person. He said prosperity will ruin the fool. So, all you foolish people out there stay away from wealth.
Posted by littlejerry 2 years ago
God wants us to be successful, he also wants us to use our success to help others.
Posted by Emilrose 2 years ago
Wealth in itself is objective in nature--therefore it is neither "innately evil" or "innately good'. Rather it's how the wealth is accumulated and used.