Awoodlief25
alex6704

Is weed legalization harmful?

Awoodlief25

Con

For my argument I will be using real life occurrences of when Marijuana or "weed" has been legalized. To start off weed's short time effects are not lethal or harmful if you are responsible just like with any drug, it takes about 20,000 joints with .9 grams of marijuana to overdose, and that's in 15 minutes. If you have come to the consensus that marijuana is harmful long term, you are correct, but so is alcohol, tobacco, and caffeine. All of those other drugs are more or just as harmful to a human as weed, and could you get rid of those? If you were thinking logical no. The reason for this is that it creates jobs and getting rid of those jobs would be incredibly harmful to the world, weed would add jobs and some surprising data from Colorado states that weed use has gone down along with street drugs and legal drugs. Marijuana also cut crime rates down by more than 10%.
alex6704

Pro

I gladly accept this challenge and I am excited to debate with you Austin.

My opponent straight off the bat admits that long term use of marijuana IS indeed harmful. "...but so is alcohol, tobacco, and caffeine" he states.

Weed may indeed be fun in the short term, but in the long term, it has terrible consequences. Such as:

- Depression. On the website cannabissupport.com, there includes an article relating those who smoke weed on a regular basis to depression patients. It says, "Frequent or heavy use in adolescence can also predict depression or anxiety later on in life..."
(https://cannabissupport.com.au...)

&

- Memory loss. When marijuana is smoked, it gives off excessive levels of THC, creating the euphoric feeling that people love. On drugabuse.gov, in an article relating to this subject, it says, "Memory impairment from marijuana use occurs because THC alters how the hippo-campus, a brain area responsible for memory formation, processes information." And, "As people age, they lose neurons in the hippo-campus, which decreases their ability to learn new information. Chronic THC exposure may hasten age-related loss of hippocampal neurons." (https://www.drugabuse.gov...)

This cannot be beneficial to our individual health. In the same way adolescents drink underage at parties because they have access to it, legalizing weed will only make the gate wider for those same teenagers, and will effect their entire lives down the road.
Awoodlief25

Con

I accept that weed is harmful after prolonged use to your body, but I was unaware that it could also have an effect on your mental state. That helps my argument though, you said from frequent use depression can manifest, but I already stated that when weed was legalized in Colorado usage rates went down, and it did in almost all other drugs, also to name a few heroin, alcohol, and tobacco. All of which have more severe effects that marijuana. To be frank your whole proposal serves my argument nicely. I'm not advocating for weed usage, but the legalization of it will only serve our economy better, I hope you can prove me wrong because I find drugs revolting.
alex6704

Pro

Stating a case from the past does not predict the future, Austin. Because one city (who was notorious for drug abuse before legalization) showed decreased levels of abuse afterward, does not mean the country as a whole will react in the same way. And your contrast to these other serious drugs isn't helping your argument. In fact, it's doing just the opposite. You admit that you're aware that marijuana use is harmful. You even claim that you find drugs to be revolting.

If you truly believe this, then why do you advocate a future where everyone is allowed to consume it?

And don't get me wrong, the economy would improve because of it. But at what cost? The minds of our future leaders? The minds of our children? The future minds of America cannot be traded for economic wellbeing, no matter how fun it may sound.
Awoodlief25

Con

You seemed to have completely glossed over the fact that drug use of all of those other drugs that are more harmful have dropped. Which would provide a better future rather than a worse one. You are completely right, drugs are revolting to me, to others they might not be there could be an alternative use for them such as medical. The occasional recreational use of weed is fine for your body just like alcohol, instead of closing that option of to people and harming the economy as well as pushing people to worse drugs, we should inform and instruct the future leaders to be more responsible. I know I only stated one case, but can you name any that has not been positive. Actually can you name any hard facts that I have not countered for why legalization would not help mental health, decrease crime rates, and drastically help the economy.
alex6704

Pro

Austin you clearly didn't read my last argument well enough. I didn't "gloss over" anything, but ruled it out as a case that only decreased in usage in a slight percent because it was already deep in drugs. In fact, you did well, and stated something true! But you didn't state the whole truth.

According to an article from www.northjersey.com (https://www.northjersey.com...), since Colorado legalized the recreational use of marijuana, it has experienced "...an increase in marijuana-related traffic deaths, poison control calls and emergency rooms visits. The marijuana black market has increased in Colorado, not decreased. And numerous state marijuana regulators have been indicted for corruption. In fiscal 2016, marijuana tax revenue was $156,701,018. The total tax revenue for Colorado was $13,327,123,798 - making marijuana only 1.18% of the state's tax revenue."

Colorado didn't benefit wholly from this act. As we said before, it would indeed improve the economy. But I repeat, is the minds of our future children (and leaders) worth economic wellbeing (even if its less than a 2% improvement)? In fact, as you can see, the cons much outweigh the pros.
Posted by spicyjeans 3 months ago
spicyjeans
It's hard to say. All in all, I don't think it's up to anyone but the user. Ultimately, it's their life and they can live it as they choose. Whether with or without weed, alcohol, etc.