RobertAnthonyLongo
Flame

Is western religion a force for good?

Flame

RobertAnthonyLongo

Con

I will argue that religion is not a force for good. I would like to add that this is my first debate. I figured that I would do this to get out of my comfort zone and broaden my ideas. I know that religion does have it's good features but I feel that overall it is a negative force. When I say is western religion a force for good I mean primarliy for the last 100 or so years and maybe we'll talk about the implications of increasing or decreasing religiousness in the future. I am a newbie and I have no clue where to really start, so if I make mistakes about the way in which a debate is suppossed to be structured I apologize.
Flame

Pro

==========
INTRODUCTION
==========

I would like to welcome RobertAnthonyLongo to DDO and give him thanks for making this an open challenge on this excellent subject. I woudl also like o express my excitement in that our readers will also participate in this debate by weighing the evidence provided by both debaters and deciding for themselves who has made a solid case. Pro expressed an excellent motive for debating which is to test his worldview. I to share this motive with Con. The heart of philosophy in its classical sense means to,"...continually examines life, its purposes and presuppositions." 1

==========
CLARIFICATION
==========

There are several social institutions that are universal to all cultures, and one of them is religion. 2 It is found in all societies because it meets universal (social and psychological) needs. 3 It is indeed, the functions of religion that makes it in itself a force for good. That is to say, its strength lies in the capacity to persuade or convince for the advancement for prosperity or well-being and something useful or beneficial for society. Hence, praiseworthy in character. My opponent specifically targets the Western Religions which are those that developed in the Near East. For example, Zoroastrianism, Judaism, Christianity, Islam and Baha'. 4 However, since mine is the Christian worldview (Christian Faith), I can only speak in behalf of Christianity and not for the rest of the Western Religions. Definitions are provided followed by the presentation of my case. Since there is no specific rules made by Con, I will list my sources on the comment section. My burden of proof in this debate is to give strong reasons in believing that religion is indeed a strong force for the advancement of prosperity or well-being and something useful or beneficial for society.

=========
DEFINITIONS
=========

1. Truth: 1. the true or actual state of a matter: He tried to find out the truth.
2. conformity with fact or reality; verity: the truth of a statement.

2. Evidence: All types of information (observations, recollections, documents,
concrete objects, etc)

3. Proof: A body of evidence supporting a contention. Those facts from which a
conclusion can be drawn.

4. Inference: the reasoning involved in drawing a conclusion or making a logical judgment on the basis of circumstantial evidence and prior conclusions rather than on the basis of direct observation.

5. Religion: The shared beliefs and beliefs practices of a people. These may or may not be supernatural in character.

6. Western religion: Religions that originated within Western culture, and are thus which historically, culturally, and theologically distinct from the Eastern religions.

7. Good: a : something that is good b (1) : something conforming to the moral order of the universe (2) : praiseworthy character : goodness . a : advancement of prosperity or well-being b : something useful or beneficial a : something that has economic utility or satisfies an economic want

8. Force: strength or energy exerted or brought to bear : cause of motion or change : active power (2) capitalized "used with a number to indicate the strength of the wind according to the Beaufort scale b : moral or mental strength c : capacity to persuade or convince

9. Religious: Relating to or manifesting faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity 2: of, relating to, or devoted to religious beliefs or observances
3a : scrupulously and conscientiously faithful

10. Cultural Anthropology: The branch of anthropology concerned with the study of existing cultures.
11. Culture: The learned and shared attitudes, values, and ways of behaving of a people; also the artifacts of the people.

======
MY CASE
======

A. Religious practice appears to have enormous potential for addressing today's social problems.

The social science data clearly demonstrates that religious practice promotes the well-being of individuals, families, and the community. 1

1. The strength of the family unit is intertwined with the practice of religion. Churchgoers are more likely to be
married, less likely to be divorced or single, and more likely to manifest high levels of satisfaction in marriage.

2. Church attendance is the most important predictor of marital stability and happiness.

3. The regular practice of religion helps poor persons move out of poverty. Regular church attendance, for example, is particularly instrumental in helping young people to escape the poverty of inner-city life.

4. Religious belief and practice contribute substantially to the formation of personal moral criteria and sound moral judgment.

5. Regular religious practice generally inoculates individuals against a host of social problems, including suicide, drug abuse, out-of-wedlock births, crime, and divorce.

6. The regular practice of religion also encourages such beneficial effects on mental health as less depression (a modern epidemic), more self-esteem, and greater family and marital happiness.

7. In repairing damage caused by alcoholism, drug addiction, and marital breakdown, religious belief and practice are a major source of strength and recovery.

8. Regular practice of religion is good for personal physical health: It increases longevity, improves one's chances of recovery from illness, and lessens the incidence of many killer diseases. 2

B. The overall impact of religious practice is illustrated dramatically by three of the most comprehensive systematic reviews.

Fagan notes that, "some 81 percent of the studies showed the positive benefit of religious practice, 15 percent showed neutral effects, and only 4 percent showed harm. Each of these systematic reviews indicated more than 80 percent benefit, and none indicated more than 10 percent harm. Even this 10 percent may be explained by more recent social science insights into "healthy religious practice" and "unhealthy religious practice." 3 The very small percentage of unhealthy religious practice" is due to malpractice religious beliefs.
RobertAnthonyLongo

Con

RobertAnthonyLongo forfeited this round.
Flame

Pro

My opponent has forfeited this round and my argument stands.
RobertAnthonyLongo

Con

Flame

Pro

My opponent has forfeited this round and my argument stands and extended to the next round.
RobertAnthonyLongo

Con

Flame

Pro

Once again my opponent forfeited this round also and my arguments stands and extended.
RobertAnthonyLongo

Con

Flame

Pro

Well, my opponent closed his account.
Posted by Flame 5 years ago
Flame
@Wallstreetatheist: Spoiler alert huh? He canceled his account.
Posted by Flame 5 years ago
Flame
Hm. Interesting
Posted by Flame 5 years ago
Flame
"Like I said a "rock a rock" Regardless if someone else defines it as a bird. A definition is a definition and the actual thing is the actual thing. Use you brain. not the book."

Real definitions can be true or false because they are concerned with factual considerations. Therefore, your definition of religion is false because you have ignored the factual considerations that some religions are polytheistic (Hinduism, Mormonism), some monotheistic (Judaism, Christianity, Islam), some non-theistic (Buddhism). That is why your definition of religion does not work and falls apart.
Posted by Flame 5 years ago
Flame

Posted by Flame 5 years ago
Flame

Posted by Flame 5 years ago
Flame

Posted by Flame 5 years ago
Flame

Posted by Flame 5 years ago
Flame
1. Some religions are polytheistic (Hinduism, Mormonism), some monotheistic (Judaism, Christianity, Islam), some non-theistic (Buddhism). That is why your definition of religion does not work and falls apart.

2. An expert is an authority in the field. It is legit to use the views of an expert if they are relevant to the point one is establishing. It is one thing to simply make assertions and it is another to make their arguments with evidence. That is why they are cited in their field of expertise.

3. "An encyclopedia is a type of reference work, a compendium holding a summary of information from either all branches of knowledge or a particular branch of knowledge." That is what they are there for.

There is now way you can't understand all three of this points.

Posted by Flame 5 years ago
Flame

Great, than you should be able to understand why world religions such as Buddhism and Taoism would not work with your definition of religion since they "classify some of their followers as agnostic, atheistic, or nontheistic." So it is not necessary to have the supernatural dimension.
Posted by Flame 5 years ago
Flame
"The Fool: You should be able to notice that on your own."->positive disbelief = non-belief . It still appeals to a non-existence. aka 1*-1x=-1x A positive negative = a negative."

Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy defines Atheism:

"Atheism is the position that affirms the non-existence of God. It proposes positive disbelief rather than mere suspension of belief."

Buddhism is atheistic in the sense of denying that there is a a Creator God. Once again, it fulfills all seven dimensions that makes a religion and hence it is a world religion. By the way, Wikipedia even knows that, "The terms "atheist" (lack of belief in any gods) and "agnostic" (belief in the unknowability of the existence of gods), though specifically contrary to theistic (e.g. Christian, Jewish, and Muslim) religious teachings, do not by definition mean the opposite of "religious". There are religions (including Buddhism and Taoism), in fact, that classify some of their followers as agnostic, atheistic, or nontheistic." Your an agnostic, so you ahve a religion :)
Vote Placed by KeytarHero 5 years ago
KeytarHero
RobertAnthonyLongoFlameTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited.