Ramensaurs-Rex
Surrealism

Is what we learn in school useful?

Surrealism

Ramensaurs-Rex

Con

I think some of the classes we have in high school is a waste of time because I can't find a real world purpose for what I learn in some classes.
Surrealism

Pro

I accept the debate challenge. I await my opponent's opening argument.
Ramensaurs-Rex

Con

Ramensaurs-Rex forfeited this round.
Surrealism

Pro

My opponent has made no argument. In the interest of fairness, I will not either.
Ramensaurs-Rex

Con

Ramensaurs-Rex forfeited this round.
Surrealism

Pro

World languages have business applications in other countires.

Mathematics is used in most jobs in engineering, programming, maintenance, etc.

English and history are useful to understand human nature.

Science is also used in engineering and maintenance, as well as in medicine.

Most elective classes tend have applications in specialized fields.

I could go into more detail, but it seems as though that won't be necessary.
Ramensaurs-Rex

Con

Ramensaurs-Rex forfeited this round.
Ramensaurs-Rex

Con

Ramensaurs-Rex forfeited this round.
Surrealism

Pro

Hypocritical given what recently happened, but what can I say.

Extend.
Posted by YoungLeader4216 2 years ago
YoungLeader4216
You may not use certain subjects in everyday life but, if someone else decides to follow a career in lets say, Mathematics, they will need to know the information you know in school. Since no one really knows what anyone will choose as their career path it is best to teach everyone the same skills and if you do not need them later on, don`t use them.
Posted by chrisjachimiak 2 years ago
chrisjachimiak
Math- Math tests your ability to recognize patterns. The human brain is trained to recognize patterns, and math is essential to this. Algebra is important because it tests, not only our ability to recognize patterns, but also problem solving. We need to solve problems, and that is what Algebra tests. Geometry/Trigonometry, are essential, maybe not for you, but for engineers, construction. Without Geometry we wouldn't have building that would be able to support human life.
Language Arts (English)- This subject is important in order to be able to communicate your ideas. My Grandfather is a very bright engineer, actually was a senior vice president for Lexmark, but struggled sometimes not being able to communicate his ideas.
Science- Physics is dire to life because you need physics to teach you depth perception, and the speed at which you're traveling. Chemistry is important to know what might happen if you touch/ work with a specific substance. For example, Mercury, we didn't know it's ability to make people crazy, and without science we would not. Biology is important to know what might be happening inside your body. You need to be able to make decisions about your life and those around you, when they might be suffering because of a body issue.
History- We must learn from our mistakes, and history will teach us this. We need to know that we can't make the same big mistakes that we made in the past.
So as we see, school is very important to your future life, although those not as bright, won't be able to see this at the moment.
Posted by Surrealism 2 years ago
Surrealism
@ErikC That's not entirely true. There are many more careers in which algebra is essential, such as engineering, accounting, construction, architecture, etc. while in contrast although I do find history interesting I'm hardly motivated to study it because of a vacuous aphorism.
Posted by ErikC 2 years ago
ErikC
it's a touchy subject, but it's undeniable that some subjects are of a higher priority than others, such as history is more important than Algrebra, because if you don't learn history, you're doomed to repeat it.
Posted by ErikC 2 years ago
ErikC
Posted by Domr 2 years ago
Domr
This debate is extremely hard to prove or disprove. As every subject can apply to other job fields and thus provide to be useful. Unless we are talking specifically about what is useful or not to you.
Vote Placed by YoshiBoy13 2 years ago
YoshiBoy13
Ramensaurs-RexSurrealismTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct to Pro: Quadruple forfeit COMBO! Massive Damage! // Arguments to Pro: Con supplied none.