Islam - A religion of peace?

TheRealBatman has forfeited round #2.

Just a quick disclaimer: I do not hate muslims or hold any prejudice against them. This is just a criticism of an ideology that they subscribe to.

Over the course of the recent years, we've had many cases of attacks caused in the name of Islam. Nice, France. Orlando. Munich. Bomb threats. Women getting raped in Sweden and Germany in the name of Islam. However, leftism in the media claims that we should not judge the actions of an entire demographic who follow this religion, based on the actions of a few....... right?

The Quran is an extremely violent and intolerant piece of text that promotes torture, killing of non believers, misogyny (treating women as 3rd rate citizens), bigotry (against Jews, Christians and gays), and overall, promotes violence.

1) Islam promotes torture against non - believers, and provokes muslims to show no mercy to them

"Quran (5:33) - "The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His messenger and strive to make mischief in the land is only this, that they should be murdered or crucified or their hands and their feet should be cut off on opposite sides or they should be imprisoned; this shall be as a disgrace for them in this world, and in the hereafter they shall have a grievous chastisement"

The context of this quote is Prophet Mohammed teaching his followers. This comes right before the famous "Killing one innocent man is like killing the whole of mankind" quote which many Islamic apologists use. The quote describes how a muslim would torture someone who 'wages war' (In Quranic context, that does not mean actually killing some of his people, but simply people who are not islamists) against islam. The quote depicts crucifixion, lobotomy, and the disfiguration of the person. The violence depicted in the quote shows that no mercy will be shown to people who go against Islam, a trait a peaceful religion would not hold on to

2) Islam is extremely mysogynistic, and treats women as second class citizens

""Oh! ye who believe! When ye deal with each other, in transactions involving future obligation in a fixed period of time reduce them to writing and get two witnesses out of your own men and if there are not two men, then a man and two women, such as ye choose, for witnesses so that if one of them errs the other can remind her." [Al-Qur""n 2:282]"

"Quran (24:4) - "And those who accuse free women then do not bring four witnesses (to adultery), flog them..."

"Quran (2:223) - "Your wives are as a tilth unto you; so approach your tilth when or how ye will..."

The quotes above all describe things that would be abolished by any self - respecting person today - saying that a woman's testimony is worth half a man's, flogging women who do not have enough witnesses, and enabling unrestricted sexual access towards the women, basically allowing their husbands to rape them. By enabling muslim men to do this to their wives, and allowing them to treat women as third class citizens is flat out wrong. This type of treatment of women should not be allowed anywhere, but is still practiced in islamic countries, with millions of women suffering in silence

3) Islam is extremely bigoted towards Christians, Jews, and gays

Quran (9:30) - "And the Jews say: Ezra is the son of Allah; and the Christians say: The Messiah is the son of Allah; these are the words of their mouths; they imitate the saying of those who disbelieved before; may Allah destroy them; how they are turned away!"

Sahih Bukhari (52:177) - Allah's Apostle said, "The Hour will not be established until you fight with the Jews, and the stone behind which a Jew will be hiding will say. "O Muslim! There is a Jew hiding behind me, so kill him."

Quran (7:80-84) - "...For ye practice your lusts on men in preference to women: ye are indeed a people transgressing beyond bounds.... And we rained down on them a shower (of brimstone)"

Abu Dawud (4462) - The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, "Whoever you find doing the action of the people of Loot, execute the one who does it and the one to whom it is done."

The above quotes testify that violence against Christians, jews, and Gays are justified. The Quran specifically says that the entire killing of people of a race, religion, or sexual preference deserve to be killed just because Allah 'doesn't like them'. This promotes an extremely bigoted belief accompanied with encouraged violence to these groups of people, and should not be allowed anywhere in the world.

In the name of Allah, the most Gracious, the most Merciful. O my Sustainer! Open up my heart, and make my task easy for me, and remove all impediment from my speech, so that they might fully understand my speech.

I thank Con for opening up this debate and giving us the chance to learn more about the Quran. My stance in this debate is that Islam is a religion of peace.

First, I will be responding to his points.

He first makes the claim that Islam "promotes torture against non - believers, and provokes muslims to show no mercy to them".

He uses Quran 5:33 to support this claim: "It is but a just recompense for those who make war on God and His apostle, and endeavour to spread corruption on earth, that they are being slain in great numbers, or crucified in great numbers, or have, in result of their perverseness, their hands and feet cut off in great numbers, or are being banished from the face of the earth: such is their ignominy in this world""

This verse clearly does not apply to every disbeliever. It applies to those who:

1.Make war on God and His apostle. This is explained in Muhammad Asad's translation and explanation of the Quran: "By 'making war on God and His apostle' is meant a hostile opposition to, and wilful disregard of, the ethical precepts ordained by God and explained by all his apostles, combined with the conscious endeavour to destroy or undermine other people's belief in God as well."
2.And endeavour to spread corruption on earth.

I think you might have misunderstood. Spreading corruption is no simple crime in Islam, and applies to major crimes, such as oppression, murder, mistreating orphans and the poor etc. This verse does not apply to innocent disbelievers, nor does it promote violence against them.

Even then, the Quran gives these spreaders of corruption and wagers of war another chance to repent in the verse right after it.

Quran 5:34 "Save for such of them as repent ere you become more powerful than they: for you must know that God I much-forgiving, a dispenser of grace."

Your second claim is that "Islam is extremely misogynistic, and treats women as second class citizens."
You use three verses to support this claim. First, you use Quran 2:282. I would like to quote from 2:279-283 to properly show the context of this verse.

Quran 2:279-283, " O YOU who have attained to faith! Whenever you give or take credit[279] for a stated term, set it down in writing. And let a scribe write it down equitably between you; and no scribe shall refuse to write as God has taught him:[280] thus shall he write. And let him who contracts the debt dictate; and let him be conscious of God, his Sustainer, and not weaken anything of his undertaking.[281] And if he who contracts the debt is weak of mind or body, or, is not able to dictate himself,[282] then let him who watches over his interests dictate equitably. And call upon two of your men to act as witnesses; and if two men are not available, then a man and two women from among such as are acceptable to you as witnesses, so that if one of them should make a mistake, the other could remind her.[283] And the witnesses must not refuse [to give evidence] whenever they are called upon.

In another excerpt from "The Message of the Quran" by Muhammad Asad, the explanation of this verse is given: "The stipulation that two women may be substituted for one male witness does not imply any reflection on women's moral or intellectual capabilities: it is obviously due to the fact that, as a rule, women are less familiar with business procedures than men and, therefore, more liable to commit mistakes in this respect."

The next verse he uses is Quran 24:4.

Quran 24:4-5 " And as for those who accuse chaste women [of adultery], and then are unable to produce four witnesses [in support of their accusation], flog them with eighty stripes; and ever after refuse to accept from them any testimony - since it is they, they that are truly depraved! excepting [from this interdict] only those who afterwards repent and made amends: for, behold, God is much-forgiving, a dispenser of grace."

Here, I really struggle to see how he could have possibly interpreted this verse as one that degrades women. It"s saying that if anyone accuses a woman of adultery, and has no evidence, the accuser will be punished and his testimonies afterwards will never be accepted unless they repent afterwards and make amends.

The third verse he uses is Quran 2:223.

Quran 2:223: "Your wives are your tilth; go, then, unto your tilth as you may desire, but first provide something for your souls, and remain conscious of God, and know that you are destined to meet Him. And give glad tidings unto those who believe."

There"s a long story behind this verse. This link should explain it pretty well.

Your third claim is that Islam is "bigoted towards Christians, Jews and Gays." You first quote Quran 9:30 which says: AND THE JEWS say, "Ezra is God's son," while the Christians say, "The Christ is God's son." Such are the sayings which they utter with their mouths, following in spirit assertions made in earlier times by people who denied the truth!" [They deserve the imprecation:] "May God destroy them!"

This is God speaking here (and in the entire Quran), and God is voicing his displeasure at the ones who claim he has a son. I see nothing wrong with this verse. It"s not targeting Christians and Jews alone, this applies to anyone who claims that God has a son. God will be displeased with them. Simple as that.

You then quote a Hadith which says: Allah's Apostle said, "The Hour will not be established until you fight with the Jews, and the stone behind which a Jew will be hiding will say. "O Muslim! There is a Jew hiding behind me, so kill him."

This is simply a prophecy. How you could interpret this to be bigoted to Christians, Jews and Gays is simply beyond me.

You then quote Quran 7:80-82 which says: AND [remember] Lot, when he said unto his people: "Will you commit abominations such as none in all the world has ever done before you? Verily, with lust you approach men instead of women: nay, but you are people given to excesses!" But his people's only answer was this: "Expel them from your land! Verily, they are folk who make themselves out to be pure ! Thereupon We saved him and his household except his wife, who was among those that stayed behind the while We rained a rain [of destruction] upon the others: and behold what happened in the end to those people lost in sin!

This is no secret. Homosexuality is strictly prohibited in Islam. God punished them for what they did, which was not only the act of homosexuality, but also the fact that they expelled Lot (pbuh) and his family because they were "pure", rejecting God"s message. Does that mean we have some divine right to kill homosexuals? No, in fact, nowhere in the Quran does it prescribe the death penalty for homosexuals.

You then bring another Hadith which says: "The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, "Whoever you find doing the action of the people of Loot, execute the one who does it and the one to whom it is done."

This is only in Sunnan Abu Dawud which is a mix of authentic and unauthentic Hadiths, and not found in Sahih Bukhari or in Sahih Muslim, which are only authentic Hadiths.

Now, on the other hand, I would like to show verses that show that Islam is indeed a religion of peace.

In regards to freedom of religion in Islam:

Quran 2:256, "THERE SHALL BE no coercion in matters of faith."

Quran 109, "SAY: "O you who deny the truth! "I do not worship that which you worship, and neither do you worship that which I worship! "And I will not worship that which you have [ever] worshipped, and neither will you [ever] worship that which I worship. Unto you, your moral law, and unto me, mine !"

In regards to not fighting innocent, peaceful people, and only permitting warfare in the case of self-defense:

Quran 2:190, "AND FIGHT in God's cause against those who wage war against you, but do not commit aggression - for, verily, God does not love aggressors."

Quran 2:191-192, " And slay them wherever you may come upon them, and drive them away from wherever they drove you away - for oppression is even worse than killing.And fight not against them near the Inviolable House of Worship unless they fight against you there first; but if they fight against you, slay them: such shall be the recompense of those who deny the truth. But if they desist - behold, God is much-forgiving, a dispenser of grace.

Verse 2:191 is always quoted by Islamophobes, but if they only read the verse before and after then they would know undoubtedly that this does not apply to innocent, peaceful people.

Quran 22:39-41, "PERMISSION [to fight] is given to those against whom war is being wrongfully waged - and, verily, God has indeed the power to succour them -: those who have been driven from their homelands against all right for no other reason than their saying, "Our Sustainer is God!" For, if God had not enabled people to defend themselves against one another, [all] monasteries and churches and synagogues and mosques - in [all of] which God's name is abundantly extolled - would surely have been destroyed [ere now].

The beauty in this verse is that it not only permits fighting in self-defense, but it also promotes freedom of religion. Not only are Muslims obligated to fight in self-defense to protect their own mosques, but also all monasteries, churches and synagogues. Notice how mosques are even mentioned last.

Quran 60:8, "As for such [of the unbelievers] as do not fight against you on account of [your] faith, and neither drive you forth from your homelands, God does not forbid you to show them kindness and to behave towards them with full equity: for, verily, God loves those who act equitably."

In conclusion, Islam is a religion of peace.
Posted by thedynasty139 2 months ago
I would've brought forth much more evidence but I had exactly 0 characters left. My apologies for that and for the hurried conclusion.
Posted by thedynasty139 2 months ago
Thanks man, appreciate ya.
Posted by TheRealBatman 2 months ago
1) My beliefs are not to be of concern in this debate. I will only use purely logic and the Quran.

2) I just edited to 72 hours
Posted by thedynasty139 2 months ago
I don't think I'll be able to do this debate if I have to respond in 24 hours. School starts on the 17th for me so my schedule will be pretty tight.
Posted by thedynasty139 2 months ago
Also are you a Christian?
Posted by TheRealBatman 2 months ago
Purely Quranic.
Posted by thedynasty139 2 months ago
If you're taking a Quranic approach then I'll debate you
If you're gonna bring in politics, not interested.
Posted by TheRealBatman 2 months ago
Hi, thanks for commenting,
These are not just a few violent verses, these are just a couple of several more numbering in the hundreds that prove my point. There are much violent verses than the ones showcased here. You can check them out at: The website is just one page relating to one topic, and there about 15 other topics in which the Quran comments on. The specific curcumstances that you talk about would have been violent in any case, even in the past, especially concerning the great Muhammad's higher moral standing (Sarcasm) . Secondly,about the bible. The bible has had a reformation since the old testament, where a very vast majority of the 'violent verses' have since been reformed and changed for modern day christians. However, even if the bible was violent, it has nothing to do with Islam being an intolerant religion. This is a commonly used argument, which makes no sense, saying 'what about the bible?'. If you could substantiate an argument about Islam rather than pointing fingers at another ideology unrelated to the topic, then I would gladly listen.
Posted by LifeLightI 2 months ago
Out of the whole thick book of verses, you have a paragraph of a couple aggresive ones. Study them further because although it may sound comtradictory there are verses that prove these ones wrong. The ones you chose may more than likely be for spesific circumstances that took place in the past, when there were harsher punishment. Are you an athesit? Because id hope you wouldnt be a christian considering the bible has pretty violent verses as well. Check into it.