Ron-Paul
Wallstreetatheist

Islam Is a Religion of Peace

Ron-Paul

Ron-Paul

Pro

Full Resolution:

Islam is a religion that preaches peace.

Definitions:

Islam: "Islam is a monotheistic and Abrahamic religion articulated by the Qur'an, a text considered by its adherents to be the verbatim word of God (Arabic: الله‎ Allāh), and by the teachings and normative example (called the Sunnah and composed of Hadith) of Muhammad, considered by them to be the last prophet of God."[1]

Peace: "A state of mutual harmony between people or groups, especially in personal relations."[2]

Rules:

1. The first round is for acceptance.
2. A forfeit or concession is an automatic loss and all seven points for voting should be given to the other person.
3. No semantics.

Debate Structure:

Round 1: Acceptance.
Round 2: All arguments made (no rebuttals).
Round 3: Rebuttals (no new arguments).
Round 4: More rebuttals (again, no new arguments).
Round 5: Conclusion (just summarize your arguments and the flaws in your opponent's arguments, no new arguments, max 2500 characters).

By accepting this debate, my opponent agrees to the full resolution, definitions, rules, and debate structure. Please make this debate clean and mannerly. May the best debater win.

[1]:http://en.wikipedia.org...
[2]:http://dictionary.reference.com...
Wallstreetatheist

Con

I accept this debate.

My opponent and I agreed to change one of the definitions in comment 9 and comment 10:

Peace: Freedom from violence and war
https://www.google.com...

Ron-Paul

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate. I agree with my opponent for his definitions change for the word "peace". From now on, we will use that definition.

I. What Does Islam Mean?

"Islam is a verbal noun originating from the trilateral root s-l-m which forms a large class of words mostly relating to concepts of wholeness, completion and bonding/joining. In a religious context it means "voluntary submission to God"."[1] "The Arabic word 'Islam' simply means 'submission', and derives from a word meaning 'peace'."[2]

There were two key words there; voluntary and peace. First, voluntary. In religious context (the accepted meaning of the word described in Round 1), it means a voluntary submission to God. Non-peaceful religions do not allow for a voluntary submission to God. Next, peace. The word in Arabic for Peace is Salam, as opposed to Islam. The two words are similar and it is seen that one word is derived from the other (since Salam is the older word, the former word was the word derived for the latter word). So obviously, if one of Islam's meanings is peace, it must be a peaceful religion.

"There is no ground for the oft-repeated allegation that Islam is intolerant and was propagated by the sword. The Qur'an states clearly 'there is no compulsion in religion.'"[3] More proof that in Islam, there is no compulsion to be Islamic.

II. What Does the Qur'an Say?

"O you who have believed, be persistently standing firm for Allah, witnesses in justice, and do not let the hatred of a people prevent you from being just. Be just; that is nearer to righteousness. And fear Allah; indeed, Allah is Acquainted with what you do." (Qur'an 5:8) [4]

"Because of that, We decreed upon the Children of Israel that whoever kills a soul unless for a soul or for corruption [done] in the land - it is as if he had slain mankind entirely. And whoever saves one - it is as if he had saved mankind entirely. And our messengers had certainly come to them with clear proofs. Then indeed many of them, [even] after that, throughout the land, were transgressors."(Qur'an 5:32) [4]

"Repel evil with that which is better." (Qur'an 23:96) [4]

"And not equal are the good deed and the bad. Repel [evil] by that [deed] which is better; and thereupon the one whom between you and him is enmity [will become] as though he was a devoted friend. But none is granted it except those who are patient, and none is granted it except one having a great portion [of good]." (Qur'an 41:34-35) [4]

"Allah does not forbid you from those who do not fight you because of religion and do not expel you from your homes - from being righteous toward them and acting justly toward them. Indeed, Allah loves those who act justly." (Qur'an 60:8) [4]

On many accounts does the Qur'an preach peace and non-violence? It preaches that even if you have hatred for someone, that that should not prevent you from following the path of Allah. It even says that the killing of civilians in wartime and of anyone in peacetime is a great sin and that one who breaks those rules will suffer eternal torment in Hell.

III. What Did Muhammad Do and Say?

"The prophet Muhammad said, 'Do not kill women or children or non-combatants and do not kill old people or sick people'."[5]

"Prophet Muhammad said there is no excuse for committing unjust acts: 'Do not be people without minds of your own, saying that if others treat you well you will treat them well, and that if they do wrong you will do wrong to them. Instead, accustom yourselves to do good if people do good and not to do wrong (even) if they do evil.'"[6]

"The first cases to be adjudicated between people on the Day of Judgment will be those of bloodshed." (Muslim and Al-Bukhari)

"Do not kill children. Avoid touching people who devote themselves to worship in churches! Never murder women and the elderly. Do not set trees on fire or cut them down. Never destroy houses." (Bukh�ri)

The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) on repeated occasions said to not to kill people unless they attack you, even if those people you want killed do evil. Why? Because these people who do evil will be eternally punished in hell, and Muslim & Al-Bukhari, the people who cause bloodshed will be the first people to be adjudicated on the Day of Judgment. Muhammad (peace be upon him) even prohibited the destruction of other's property, including but not excluded to other religions' churches and worshipping houses.

IV. What Did Abu Bakr Say?

"Abu Bakr a close companion and successor (Caliph) of the prophet whilst giving instructions to his army general said: 'I command you not to do ten things, do not kill women, do not kill children, do not kill the elderly, do not destroy trees, do not destroy properties, do not slaughter animals unless it is for food, neither flood or set fire to palm trees, avoid extremism, and do not act cowardly or weak.'"[7]

Abu Bakr was Muhammad's (peace be upon him) faithful companion in the time of Muhammad's (peace be upon him) life and the next leader of Islam in the wake of Muhammad's (peace be upon him) death. He continued to follow in Muhammad's (peace be upon him) tradition of peace and voluntary willingness to join Islam.

V. Later Successors to Muhammad and Abu Bakr.

The successive caliphates and reigning dynasties all preserved Islam's early tradition of peace. This spread of Islam was less a spread of the religion as it was one, the caliphate's quest for empire and two, and more importantly, it was the peoples they were subjugating voluntarily chose to become Islamic. A great question is when the caliphates drew out of North Africa and other parts of the Middle East, why did the religion prevail and remain?

Today, Islam has been misinterpreted by various groups including but not excluded to Al Qaeda. These terrorist groups are not true Muslims and in the words of one of the most highly regarded Hadiths, will be "The first cases to be adjudicated between people on the Day of Judgment will be those of bloodshed." Allah does not tolerate terrorists and they will never taste the fruits of heaven. Forever in hell they will remain.

Conclusion:

Islam is a religion of peace that renounces violence, seeks to actively promote peace, and only resorts to violence in cases of their own self defense. Peace through Allah.

[1]:http://en.wikipedia.org...
[2]:http://www.islamicity.com...
[3]:http://www.answeringinfidels.com...
[4]:http://quran.com...
[5]:http://kurzman.unc.edu...
[6]:http://www.cair.com...
[7]:http://mercyprophet.org...
Wallstreetatheist

Con

Hello, I'm moving into my dorm in an hour, and I've been doing college forms and housing applications and dealing with prepaid college plan transfers and stuff. I won't be able to post this round adequately, sorry. Hopefully I will have a laptop by the time the next round starts. I don't have room to bring my desktop :/
Ron-Paul

Pro

It's ok. Arguments extended.
Wallstreetatheist

Con

Wallstreetatheist forfeited this round.
Ron-Paul

Pro

Arguments extended again.
Wallstreetatheist

Con

Sorry making you wait. I had no computer in my dorm.

I concede to Pro and give him $10 in Chuck E. Cheese coins.

If you post soon, I'll be able to expediently concede the final round like a Boss.
Ron-Paul

Pro

I understand. Would you like a part two to this debate? I just need to know when you have enough free time to debate.
Wallstreetatheist

Con

Vote pro on conduct and arguments. Vote Con on scoring the highest grade in the entire class on his biology exam, his first exam in college, even amongst students in their 20's and 30's.
Posted by Ron-Paul 4 years ago
Ron-Paul
I take that as a no on the part two?
Posted by Ron-Paul 5 years ago
Ron-Paul
Sure. That's fine. You can make an amendment to the definitions in your Round 1 argument.
Posted by Wallstreetatheist 5 years ago
Wallstreetatheist
I like #3 in https://www.google.com...

Peace: Freedom from violence and war

Do you agree to that definition?
Posted by Ron-Paul 5 years ago
Ron-Paul
Well do you like Definitions 1, 2, or 4 in source 2?
Posted by Wallstreetatheist 5 years ago
Wallstreetatheist
The rounds are fine. I was just trying to truncate them, because I'm in 6 debates right now.

Your peace definition is abusive to the resolution, because it says, "especially in personal relations," which is focused on relationships: hence Muslim friends being peaceful toward each other. That is not the purpose of this debate. We are attempting to discern whether or not Islam, as a religion, motivates people to war and violence or peace and nonviolence.
Posted by Ron-Paul 5 years ago
Ron-Paul
@Wallstreetatheist: You do realize that Round 1 is acceptance and Round 5 is 2500 character conclusion right? In addition to that, what's the problem with my peace definition?
Posted by Wallstreetatheist 5 years ago
Wallstreetatheist
Can you shorten it to 4 rounds? Can you change the definition of peace to something besides the tertiary meaning?
Posted by Ron-Paul 5 years ago
Ron-Paul
I started. Just wanted to debate this.
Posted by MouthWash 5 years ago
MouthWash
Really, Wallstreet? TWO debates on the subject at the same time?
Posted by Ron-Paul 5 years ago
Ron-Paul
Ok.
Vote Placed by TheOrator 4 years ago
TheOrator
Ron-PaulWallstreetatheistTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession
Vote Placed by Microsuck 4 years ago
Microsuck
Ron-PaulWallstreetatheistTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited.
Vote Placed by Xerge 4 years ago
Xerge
Ron-PaulWallstreetatheistTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession