Islam Is a Religion of Peace

You said "I'll debate this", so here's the challenge.

Full Resolution:

Islam is a religion that preaches peace.

Islam: "Islam is a monotheistic and Abrahamic religion articulated by the Qur'an, a text considered by its adherents to be the verbatim word of God (Arabic: الله‎ Allāh), and by the teachings and normative example (called the Sunnah and composed of Hadith) of Muhammad, considered by them to be the last prophet of God."[1]

Peace: "A state of mutual harmony between people or groups, especially in personal relations."[2]

1. The first round is for acceptance.
2. A forfeit or concession is an automatic loss and all seven points for voting should be given to the other person.
3. No semantics.

Debate Structure:

Round 1: Acceptance.
Round 2: All arguments made (no rebuttals).
Round 3: Rebuttals (no new arguments).
Round 4: More rebuttals (again, no new arguments).
Round 5: Conclusion (just summarize your arguments and the flaws in your opponent's arguments, no new arguments, max 2500 characters).

By accepting this debate, my opponent agrees to the full resolution, definitions, rules, and debate structure. Please make this debate clean and mannerly. May the best debater win.

Challenge Accepted.

I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate.

I. What Does Islam Mean?

"Islam is a verbal noun originating from the trilateral root s-l-m which forms a large class of words mostly relating to concepts of wholeness, completion and bonding/joining. In a religious context it means "voluntary submission to God"."[1] "The Arabic word 'Islam' simply means 'submission', and derives from a word meaning 'peace'."[2]

There were two key words there; voluntary and peace. First, voluntary. In religious context (the accepted meaning of the word described in Round 1), it means a voluntary submission to God. Non-peaceful religions do not allow for a voluntary submission to God. Next, peace. The word in Arabic for Peace is Salam, as opposed to Islam. The two words are similar and it is seen that one word is derived from the other (since Salam is the older word, the former word was the word derived for the latter word). So obviously, if one of Islam's meanings is peace, it must be a peaceful religion.

"There is no ground for the oft-repeated allegation that Islam is intolerant and was propagated by the sword. The Qur'an states clearly 'there is no compulsion in religion.'"[3] More proof that in Islam, there is no compulsion to be Islamic.

II. What Does the Qur'an Say?

"O you who have believed, be persistently standing firm for Allah, witnesses in justice, and do not let the hatred of a people prevent you from being just. Be just; that is nearer to righteousness. And fear Allah; indeed, Allah is Acquainted with what you do." (Qur'an 5:8) [4]

"Because of that, We decreed upon the Children of Israel that whoever kills a soul unless for a soul or for corruption [done] in the land - it is as if he had slain mankind entirely. And whoever saves one - it is as if he had saved mankind entirely. And our messengers had certainly come to them with clear proofs. Then indeed many of them, [even] after that, throughout the land, were transgressors."(Qur'an 5:32) [4]

"Repel evil with that which is better." (Qur'an 23:96) [4]

"And not equal are the good deed and the bad. Repel [evil] by that [deed] which is better; and thereupon the one whom between you and him is enmity [will become] as though he was a devoted friend. But none is granted it except those who are patient, and none is granted it except one having a great portion [of good]." (Qur'an 41:34-35) [4]

"Allah does not forbid you from those who do not fight you because of religion and do not expel you from your homes - from being righteous toward them and acting justly toward them. Indeed, Allah loves those who act justly." (Qur'an 60:8) [4]

On many accounts does the Qur'an preach peace and non-violence? It preaches that even if you have hatred for someone, that that should not prevent you from following the path of Allah. It even says that the killing of civilians in wartime and of anyone in peacetime is a great sin and that one who breaks those rules will suffer eternal torment in Hell.

III. What Did Muhammad Do and Say?

"The prophet Muhammad said, 'Do not kill women or children or non-combatants and do not kill old people or sick people'."[5]

"Prophet Muhammad said there is no excuse for committing unjust acts: 'Do not be people without minds of your own, saying that if others treat you well you will treat them well, and that if they do wrong you will do wrong to them. Instead, accustom yourselves to do good if people do good and not to do wrong (even) if they do evil.'"[6]

"The first cases to be adjudicated between people on the Day of Judgment will be those of bloodshed." (Muslim and Al-Bukhari)

"Do not kill children. Avoid touching people who devote themselves to worship in churches! Never murder women and the elderly. Do not set trees on fire or cut them down. Never destroy houses." (Bukh�ri)

The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) on repeated occasions said to not to kill people unless they attack you, even if those people you want killed do evil. Why? Because these people who do evil will be eternally punished in hell, and Muslim & Al-Bukhari, the people who cause bloodshed will be the first people to be adjudicated on the Day of Judgment. Muhammad (peace be upon him) even prohibited the destruction of other's property, including but not excluded to other religions' churches and worshipping houses.

IV. What Did Abu Bakr Say?

"Abu Bakr a close companion and successor (Caliph) of the prophet whilst giving instructions to his army general said: 'I command you not to do ten things, do not kill women, do not kill children, do not kill the elderly, do not destroy trees, do not destroy properties, do not slaughter animals unless it is for food, neither flood or set fire to palm trees, avoid extremism, and do not act cowardly or weak.'"[7]

Abu Bakr was Muhammad's (peace be upon him) faithful companion in the time of Muhammad's (peace be upon him) life and the next leader of Islam in the wake of Muhammad's (peace be upon him) death. He continued to follow in Muhammad's (peace be upon him) tradition of peace and voluntary willingness to join Islam.

V. Later Successors to Muhammad and Abu Bakr.

The successive caliphates and reigning dynasties all preserved Islam's early tradition of peace. This spread of Islam was less a spread of the religion as it was one, the caliphate's quest for empire and two, and more importantly, it was the peoples they were subjugating voluntarily chose to become Islamic. A great question is when the caliphates drew out of North Africa and other parts of the Middle East, why did the religion prevail and remain?

Today, Islam has been misinterpreted by various groups including but not excluded to Al Qaeda. These terrorist groups are not true Muslims and in the words of one of the most highly regarded Hadiths, will be "The first cases to be adjudicated between people on the Day of Judgment will be those of bloodshed." Allah does not tolerate terrorists and they will never taste the fruits of heaven. Forever in hell they will remain.

Islam is a religion of peace that renounces violence, seeks to actively promote peace, and only resorts to violence in cases of their own self defense. Peace through Allah.

whyt3nn3rdy forfeited this round.

Arguments extended.

I will begin with my case and then move on to refute Pros.

A brief introduction:
The Quran gives examples of how Allah encourages fighting. Though in certain verses, as Pro proves, Allah preaches some forms of peace, however there is no proof that this is the ultimate goal. We'll take Pros definition of peace: "A state of mutual harmony between people or groups, especially in personal relations." If I can prove that the Quran (or, the holy book to Islam) preaches anything that would disrupt "a state of mutual harmony between people or groups," I win this debate. In this contention, I will do this. I will pose quite a few quotes in this debate that will prove Islam to be NOT a religion of peace.

1. Is war now peaceful?
"O Prophet! urge the believers to war; if there are twenty patient ones of you they shall overcome two hundred, and if there are a hundred of you they shall overcome a thousand of those who disbelieve, because they are a people who do not understand." [1]

If I don't understand something, I am usually informed about it. I would be taught to believe. I would not be targeted by war. Muhammad here is commanded to urge the Muslims to war against those who do not believe just because they "do not understand." This also tells us that the religion is not peaceful in the sense that it assumes it is the only one. Anyone who disagrees is wrong and does not understand. This promotes war and disagreement which is clearly not peaceful.

2. Allah says: fight for me.

"And kill them wherever you find them, and drive them out from whence they drove you out, and persecution is severer than slaughter, and do not fight with them at the Sacred Mosque until they fight with you in it, but if they do fight you, then slay them; such is the recompense of the unbelievers." [2]

We'll mention peace again. Sure, you shouldn't fight them unless they fight you first (this easily proves a peaceful nature), BUT if they are to fight you, do not act peacefully and back away, or reason. The Quran, here, says to kill them immediately, slay them, drive them out, etc. If they don't believe in Allah, kill them if they show it.
3. I often smite those I disagree with, too.
"I will throw fear into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Then smite the necks and smite of them each finger. That is because they opposed Allah and His messenger. Whoso opposeth Allah and His messenger, (for him) lo! Allah is severe in punishment." [3]
Because someone disbelieves in Allah, they shall be smited under the Quran's ideology. Essentially, Allah will "throw fear into the hearts of those who disbelieve" and "smite the necks and smite of them each finger." As much as I would like to change this debate into one of "Should Allah go to anger management counseling programs, the real core of the debate lies here. "Allah is severe in punishment." If this is the case, how can we expect anything but peace, right? No. Maybe the Quran promotes peace by means of fighting, and war, and smiting those who disagree with you, but that's the thing. The Quran suggests all of these.
4. A bit controversial, huh?
"Slay the idolaters wherever ye find them, and take them, and besiege them, and prepare for them each ambush. But if they repent and establish worship and pay the poor-due, then leave their way free. Lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful." [4]
Basically, this one holds it's own description. if you are an idolater, we will capture you and prepare you for each ambush. However, IF you agree with us, we'll let you go. This is not peaceful behaviour. This is behaviour that suggests violence and capture to convert people to this religion. Though the chapter as a whole tried to promote peace, and to make a treaty with these idolaters, the very thought of besieging them does not promote Islam as a religion of peace. This may prove Islam as a religion that WANTS peace, but the religion as an entirety (which is what we are debating - the ENTIRE religion) is not.

[1] Quran 8:65
[2] Quran 2:191
[3] Quran 8:12
[4] Quran 9:5

Now, onto my opponents case. Regrettably, I only have less than an hour to write and post this at this point, so my rebuttals may not be my strong point in this round.

I. What Does Islam Mean?

a. We'll go with what Pro says, in that Islam means submission, and derives from a word meaning peace. It does not derive from peace itself, which we all know can cause slight confusion. It's like the telephone game, really. When definitions are handed down through synonyms and such, they lose their meaning and adapt more. We don't even know the word that means peace, anyway.

b. Islam itself means submission. And submission is generally known as the action or fact of accepting or yielding to a superior force or to the will or authority of another person. This, in itself does not promote peace, but to yield to another force. Yielding to another force does not always imply peace. It can be done through the acts of losing a war. When you lose a war, you yield to the opposing force. As I stated in my arguments, war is not peaceful, and this is how the idolaters "yielded." Just because in religious context it means voluntary, it does not imply that the actual action (in the real world) was peaceful. Unless Pro can prove that the entirety of the Islam religion was peaceful in making people submit to their God, he loses this debate.

II. What Does the Quran Say?

The Quran also says everything that I've posted. This, as a contention, is null and void.

III. - V. What did Muhammad & Abu Bakr Say & Those Later Successors?

Muhammad and Abu Bakr and such, were not the religion of Islam, they were the "good" pieces of it. This debate is based off of card stacking, and that's clear. However, it makes this an unfair debate overall. Though, card-stacking Pro may be, he still cannot prove that the religion as a whole is peaceful, as I have already proved there to be many un-peaceful aspects. The Quran is a much more influential piece of the religion, and therefore my points stand above these of certain figures of the religion.

In Conclusion:
Islam is not a religion of peace, but one that tries to accomplish it through violent actions if necessary.

Since this is Round 4, I will have to refute my opponent's arguments and have to defend my own arguments.

Attacking My Opponent's Case:

I. A Brief Introduction.

Yes. The Qur'an does give examples of Allah encouraging fighting, but all examples have to do with self defense. Allah can preach peace and not encourage fighting, but still fight. How? Because the Qur'an does allow Muslims to defend themselves against attackers. If I can prove that Islam does not encourage either aggressive war and violence, nor a breaking of mutual harmony between different groups of peoples and religions, I can win this debate.

II. Is War Now Peaceful?

"It is for this reason that the Qur'an declares that a believer with understanding is ten times stronger than an unbeliever. For the believer understands the truth and a non-believer does not. It may be remembered, however, that the verse also mentions another important factor in addition to 'understanding' which makes a believer much stronger than an unbeliever, and that is 'patience'."[1] They only think the believer stronger because the non-believer does not understand the truth.

Qur'an Verse 8:65 also mentions "steadfast"[2], which means the non-believers attacked first. The call to battle is the call to defend Islam.

"In the verse quoted above [8:65] in which Muslims are urged to make ready their "strength to the utmost" of their power, one needs to take into account (a) the context of the entire Chapter, where it deals with treachery, hypocrisy and unilateral abrogation of a treaty that was imposed upon Muslims by their adversaries, and (b) the verse that comes after it."[3] So obviously, this is a war of self-defense.

III. Allah Says: Fight for Me.

Let's look at the verse in true context: "Fight in the cause of God those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; for God loves not transgressors. And kill them wherever ye catch them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out; for persecution and oppression are worse than slaughter; but fight them not at the Sacred Mosque, unless they (first) fight you there; but if they fight you, kill them. Such is the reward of those who reject faith. But if they cease, God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. And fight them on until there is no more tumult or oppression, and there prevail justice and faith in God; but if they cease, let there be no hostility except to those who practice oppression. The prohibited month, for the prohibited month, and so for all things prohibited, there is the law of equality. If then any one transgresses the prohibition against you, transgress ye likewise against him. But fear (the punishment of) God, and know that God is with those who restrain themselves." (Qur'an 2;190-194) [2][4]

"However, the Qur'an clearly prohibits aggression. The verses explain that fighting is only for self-defence."[4]

Ok, so the Qur'an in the verse and chapter is saying that Muslims may defend their home and fight in the name of self defense, but if the enemy ceases his assault, Muslims should stop since they would be the opressors otherwise. It is peaceful to defend yourself.

IV. I Often Smite Those I Disagree With, too.

"Recall that your Lord inspired the angels: "I am with you; so support those who believed. I will throw terror into the hearts of those who disbelieved. You may strike them above the necks, and you may strike even every finger." This is what they have justly incurred by FIGHTING God and His messenger. For those who fight against God and His messenger, God's retribution is severe." (Qur'an 8:12-13) [2][4]

Also, "And you did not kill them, but it was Allah who killed them. And you threw not, [O Muhammad], when you threw, but it was Allah who threw that He might test the believers with a good test. Indeed, Allah is Hearing and Knowing." (Qur'an 8:17) [2]

Again, self defense. Also, not the Muslims doing the killing. That is Allah who sends them into hell for disbelief. So, still, Islam does not preach violence.

V. A Bit Controversial, huh?

Let's look at the before verses: "[This is a declaration of] disassociation, from Allah and His Messenger, to those with whom you had made a treaty among the polytheists.So travel freely, [O disbelievers], throughout the land [during] four months but know that you cannot cause failure to Allah and that Allah will disgrace the disbelievers. And [it is] an announcement from Allah and His Messenger to the people on the day of the greater pilgrimage that Allah is disassociated from the disbelievers, and [so is] His Messenger. So if you repent, that is best for you; but if you turn away - then know that you will not cause failure to Allah . And give tidings to those who disbelieve of a painful punishment.Excepted are those with whom you made a treaty among the polytheists and then they have not been deficient toward you in anything or supported anyone against you; so complete for them their treaty until their term [has ended]. Indeed, Allah loves the righteous [who fear Him]." (Qur'an 9:1-4) [2]

Now, the verse in question in true context: "But when the forbidden months are past, then fight and slay the Pagans wherever ye find them, an seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war); but if they repent, and establish regular prayers and practise regular charity, then open the way for them: for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful. If one amongst the Pagans ask thee for asylum, grant it to him, so that he may hear the word of Allah. and then escort him to where he can be secure. That is because they are men without knowledge." (Qur'an 9:5-6) [2][4]

And the story: "Prophet Muhammad was inspired to use this [peace] period to encourage the combatants to join the Muslim ranks or, if they chose, to leave the area that was under Muslims rule; however, if they were to resume hostilities, then the Muslims would fight back until victorious."[4]

So, the verse is taken out of context. The story was about a war that had a peace, and if the enemy ever broke the peace, to resume the fighting until they win, but should not fight otherwise, for Allah liketh not aggressors. Defending yourself is peaceful.

Defending My Case:

I. What Does Islam Mean?

"Arabic salām (سَلاَم‎), Maltese Sliem, Hebrew Shalom (שָׁלוֹם), Ge'ez salām (ሰላም), Syriac šlama (ܫܠܡܐ) are cognate Semitic terms for "peace", deriving from a Proto-Semitic *šalām-."[5] Ok so we've established that Salam means peace.

سلام vs. إسلام
Salam vs. Islam
The two words in letters and in Arabic (especially Arabic, its language) are almost indentical. Islam is clearly derived from Salam. In Arabic, the have the same root, and Islam only adds that last stroke on the left. So we've established that Islam derives from Salam, which means peace.

"In a religious context it means "VOLUNTARY submission to God."[6] Forced conversions are not defined as voluntary, thus a peaceful religion."

So, Islam means voluntary submission, and derives from a word meaning peace. That is established.

II. What Does the Qur'an Say?

Ok. I have peaceful verses. I have refuted your violent verses. You have to refute mine. You have conceded here.

III.-V. Muhammad, Abu Bakr, and Later Successors of Them.

Another concession.

Islam is a Religion of Peace that only fights for self defense, and Allah will do the punishing later, not the people themselves.

Since we had a forfeit, I will let my opponent choose between a 2500 character max conclusion, or a full round with refutations and defending of own arguments (no new arguments). Please specify in the beginning of your argument which one you want.

whyt3nn3rdy forfeited this round.

whyt3nn3rdy forfeited this round.
Posted by whyt3nn3rdy 4 years ago
Hopefully I'll get it back soon enough, as I cannot write my arguments through my phone.
Posted by Ron-Paul 4 years ago
Alright. I will. Don't worry, I understand. I've had the exact same thing happen before.
Posted by whyt3nn3rdy 4 years ago
Unfortunately, I've been away from DDO due to the internet going down. I was absolutely unable to post any arguments. Is there any way we can make this a tie? I'm so sorry for that, but there was NO WAY I could have debated.
Posted by whyt3nn3rdy 4 years ago
Posted by 16kadams 4 years ago
mmm you can debate him but not me.

Scared? :P XD
Posted by Ron-Paul 4 years ago
Yes. Hopefully, this can be a debate.
Posted by dirkson 4 years ago
@TheOrator - I'm not sure this is fair. We have yet to hear a single argument from the con side, and cherry picking any text to make it say one thing or another is trivially easy.

I'm interested in this debate too... But I'd like it to actually be a debate! With more than one side!

Posted by TheOrator 4 years ago
I think this topic opened my eyes to Islam. Although it's undeniable that there are groups that ennact violence in the name of Allah, the same is true in the name of God, and both of their respective holy texts condemn such groups. This is another of the dobates on this site that actually persuaded me of something.
Posted by Ron-Paul 4 years ago
It's ok.
Posted by whyt3nn3rdy 4 years ago
So sorry for the forfeit, I was out of the house and was unable to post my arguments.
Vote Placed by THEBOMB 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Obvious because of the FFs