Ron-Paul
GenesisCreation

Islam Is a Religion of Peace

Ron-Paul

Pro

I know you might get tired of me doing these debates, but of the three I have done, all three have had forfeits by my opponents. Besides, my opponent appears to be a worthy adversary to debate.

Full Resolution:

Islam is a religion that preaches peace.

Definitions:

Islam: "Islam is a monotheistic and Abrahamic religion articulated by the Qur'an, a text considered by its adherents to be the verbatim word of God (Arabic: الله‎ Allāh), and by the teachings and normative example (called the Sunnah and composed of Hadith) of Muhammad, considered by them to be the last prophet of God."[1]

Peace: "Freedom from or the cessation of war or violence."[2]

Rules:

1. The first round is for acceptance.
2. A forfeit or concession is an automatic loss and all seven points for voting should be given to the other person.
3. No semantics.

Debate Structure:

Round 1: Acceptance.
Round 2: All arguments made (no rebuttals).
Round 3: Rebuttals of opponent's arguments(no new arguments).
Round 4: Defending your original arguments(again, no new arguments).
Round 5: Conclusion (just summarize your arguments and the flaws in your opponent's arguments, no new arguments, max 2500 characters).

By accepting this debate, my opponent agrees to the full resolution, definitions, rules, and debate structure. Please make this debate clean and mannerly. May the best debater win.

[1]:http://en.wikipedia.org...
[2]:https://www.google.com...
GenesisCreation

Con

I accept the full resolution as furnished by my opponent. I look forward to a weighty, deep and undeniably important discussion between two serious men of faith. Over to you Pro.
Ron-Paul

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate.

I. What Does Islam Mean?

"Islam is a verbal noun originating from the trilateral root s-l-m which forms a large class of words mostly relating to concepts of wholeness, completion and bonding/joining. In a religious context it means "voluntary submission to God"."[1] "The Arabic word 'Islam' simply means 'submission', and derives from a word meaning 'peace'."[2]

There were two key words there; voluntary and peace. First, voluntary. In religious context (the accepted meaning of the word described in Round 1), it means a voluntary submission to God. Non-peaceful religions do not allow for a voluntary submission to God. Next, peace. The word in Arabic for Peace is Salam, as opposed to Islam. The two words are similar and it is seen that one word is derived from the other (since Salam is the older word, the former word was the word derived for the latter word). So obviously, if one of Islam's meanings is peace, it must be a peaceful religion.

"There is no ground for the oft-repeated allegation that Islam is intolerant and was propagated by the sword. The Qur'an states clearly 'there is no compulsion in religion.'"[3] More proof that in Islam, there is no compulsion to be Islamic.

II. What Does the Qur'an Say?

"O you who have believed, be persistently standing firm for Allah, witnesses in justice, and do not let the hatred of a people prevent you from being just. Be just; that is nearer to righteousness. And fear Allah; indeed, Allah is Acquainted with what you do." (Qur'an 5:8) [4]

"Because of that, We decreed upon the Children of Israel that whoever kills a soul unless for a soul or for corruption [done] in the land - it is as if he had slain mankind entirely. And whoever saves one - it is as if he had saved mankind entirely. And our messengers had certainly come to them with clear proofs. Then indeed many of them, [even] after that, throughout the land, were transgressors."(Qur'an 5:32) [4]

"Repel evil with that which is better." (Qur'an 23:96) [4]

"And not equal are the good deed and the bad. Repel [evil] by that [deed] which is better; and thereupon the one whom between you and him is enmity [will become] as though he was a devoted friend. But none is granted it except those who are patient, and none is granted it except one having a great portion [of good]." (Qur'an 41:34-35) [4]

"Allah does not forbid you from those who do not fight you because of religion and do not expel you from your homes - from being righteous toward them and acting justly toward them. Indeed, Allah loves those who act justly." (Qur'an 60:8) [4]

On many accounts does the Qur'an preach peace and non-violence? It preaches that even if you have hatred for someone, that that should not prevent you from following the path of Allah. It even says that the killing of civilians in wartime and of anyone in peacetime is a great sin and that one who breaks those rules will suffer eternal torment in Hell.

III. What Did Muhammad Do and Say?

"The prophet Muhammad said, 'Do not kill women or children or non-combatants and do not kill old people or sick people'."[5]

"Prophet Muhammad said there is no excuse for committing unjust acts: 'Do not be people without minds of your own, saying that if others treat you well you will treat them well, and that if they do wrong you will do wrong to them. Instead, accustom yourselves to do good if people do good and not to do wrong (even) if they do evil.'"[6]

"The first cases to be adjudicated between people on the Day of Judgment will be those of bloodshed." (Muslim and Al-Bukhari)

"Do not kill children. Avoid touching people who devote themselves to worship in churches! Never murder women and the elderly. Do not set trees on fire or cut them down. Never destroy houses." (Bukh�ri)

The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) on repeated occasions said to not to kill people unless they attack you, even if those people you want killed do evil. Why? Because these people who do evil will be eternally punished in hell, and Muslim & Al-Bukhari, the people who cause bloodshed will be the first people to be adjudicated on the Day of Judgment. Muhammad (peace be upon him) even prohibited the destruction of other's property, including but not excluded to other religions' churches and worshipping houses.

IV. What Did Abu Bakr Say?

"Abu Bakr a close companion and successor (Caliph) of the prophet whilst giving instructions to his army general said: 'I command you not to do ten things, do not kill women, do not kill children, do not kill the elderly, do not destroy trees, do not destroy properties, do not slaughter animals unless it is for food, neither flood or set fire to palm trees, avoid extremism, and do not act cowardly or weak.'"[7]

Abu Bakr was Muhammad's (peace be upon him) faithful companion in the time of Muhammad's (peace be upon him) life and the next leader of Islam in the wake of Muhammad's (peace be upon him) death. He continued to follow in Muhammad's (peace be upon him) tradition of peace and voluntary willingness to join Islam.

V. Later Successors to Muhammad and Abu Bakr.

The successive caliphates and reigning dynasties all preserved Islam's early tradition of peace. This spread of Islam was less a spread of the religion as it was one, the caliphate's quest for empire and two, and more importantly, it was the peoples they were subjugating voluntarily chose to become Islamic. A great question is when the caliphates drew out of North Africa and other parts of the Middle East, why did the religion prevail and remain?

Today, Islam has been misinterpreted by various groups including but not excluded to Al Qaeda. These terrorist groups are not true Muslims and in the words of one of the most highly regarded Hadiths, will be "The first cases to be adjudicated between people on the Day of Judgment will be those of bloodshed." Allah does not tolerate terrorists and people who disrupt peace for violent and greedy purposes.

[1]:http://en.wikipedia.org...
[2]:http://www.islamicity.com...
[3]:http://www.answeringinfidels.com...
[4]:http://quran.com...
[5]:http://kurzman.unc.edu...
[6]:http://www.cair.com...
[7]:http://mercyprophet.org...
GenesisCreation

Con

GenesisCreation forfeited this round.
Ron-Paul

Pro

My opponent happened to be a few minutes late posting his argument, so there will be a part II to this debate. Please do not vote on this debate.
GenesisCreation

Con

I apologize to my opponent and those who looked forward to this debate. As my opponent explained, we will continue. I do however, wish to submit myself in humility to my mistake and ask the voters to grant my opponent a victory in this debate. Thus far I am undefeated, a title which I hardly find suitable if I cannot engage my opponent with enough fervor to be "on time".

Forfeiture with continuation in second debate.
Ron-Paul

Pro

Don't vote voters. We all make mistakes. He had his argument made up, he was just a few minutes late.
GenesisCreation

Con

Forfeiture for continuance.
Ron-Paul

Pro

VOTE TIE.
GenesisCreation

Con

Forfeiture for continuance.
Posted by Ron-Paul 4 years ago
Ron-Paul
@LK: They are not true Muslims. Want to debate?
Posted by Lordknukle 4 years ago
Lordknukle
"Dude we all know Islam is a religion of peace. ow about you try proving you religion is the way to go? lol"

Do we all know that? Jihadists seem very peaceful to me.
Posted by Ron-Paul 4 years ago
Ron-Paul
Ah don't worry. I am just a little frustrated that all the debates I have had on ths subject have had forfeits.
Posted by GenesisCreation 4 years ago
GenesisCreation
Ron, I know this looks terrible on my part but I arrived back late. I just logged in to post my argument. I had made the finishing touches 20 minutes ago and I thought I had four hours left. I'm very sorry. I will naturally give you unchallenged victory by forfeiting the remainder. If you have the patience we can copy and paste the argument into a new debate.
Again, I'm very, very sorry, especially since you've noted how most of your debates ended this way. I did not intend for this.
Posted by Ron-Paul 4 years ago
Ron-Paul
Come on. Really?
Posted by GenesisCreation 4 years ago
GenesisCreation
Absolutely. Let me know if you cannot find an opponent. I will gladly engage an exchange of ideas on this topic.
Posted by Ron-Paul 4 years ago
Ron-Paul
No, that is just to prevent noobs from debating. Do you really want to debate this, do you have the capability, do you have the time?
Posted by GenesisCreation 4 years ago
GenesisCreation
I would entertain this debate with great enthusiasm but it will not allow me to accept.
Posted by Ron-Paul 4 years ago
Ron-Paul
I've had three accepters. That means at least three people do not believe in the resolution.
Posted by Deathbeforedishonour 4 years ago
Deathbeforedishonour
Dude we all know Islam is a religion of peace. ow about you try proving you religion is the way to go? lol
Vote Placed by Microsuck 4 years ago
Microsuck
Ron-PaulGenesisCreationTied
Reasons for voting decision: sigh. Looking forward to part 2.