GhofraneMusbah
Mark119

Islam VS Christianity

GhofraneMusbah

Pro

RULES: Pro (me) will be arguing for Islam, Con (my opponent) will be arguing for Christianity. No insults allowed, please respect your opponent.

I have a hard time understanding how a loving, merciful god would crucify his beloved son. It's a contradiction to me. Can you answer this question: Why wouldn't god - who's so big and so loving - not just forgive us all? Why would he have to kill the person he loved most in order to forgive us? To Christians god had to come and die for their sins. But it makes no sense because if god wants he can forgive us just like Jesus about the parable of the prodigal son in Luke chapter fifteen: the son comes back to his father, the father welcomes him with open arms and has a celebration. Nobody has to die for somebody to be forgiven because if somebody dies then there is no forgiveness! That just means I took my full price, I'm a cruel judge, I just exact the full punishment, somebody goes and dies and then I'm happy. But if god was loving and kind then he should be loving and kind to his son as well and save his son by some other means.

Christians say the son was willing, but notice that that's the representation in the last of the four Gospels. Matthew Mark and Luke show that the son, although willing, was submitting, not offering himself. In the Gospel the story's revised so that Jesus actually offers himself because that just looks better. Even if the son offers himself it doesn't really solve the problem because if the son loves the people so much that he wants to die for them, doesn't the father love the people more than the son loves them (or equal to)? Why doesn't the father come himself? I don't shove my son in the path of a moving car to go and save somebody; I go myself and I protect my son. So the whole thing makes no sense!

Christians usually say that the reason the father didn't get crucified instead of the son is because it depends on who it was sinned against. That doesn't make any sense because what they're saying is that if you sin against me, I cannot forgive you until I punish myself... It doesn't make any sense! If I wanted to forgive you, I just simply forgive you! When you say god came down himself and then he died on the cross, that means god died! It's just getting worse. If you said the son died, then at least you have the father to look after the world. But if god died that's blasphemy! Then, who would run the world?
Mark119

Con

God isn't the one to crucify His son. That was up to the Roman and jewish leaders. Although God did know Jesus would be crucified by them He knew that it had to happen in order to save them from their sins. It is very confusing as to why He did this but it makes sense to Christians. I was a Catholic but after I thought about it for a while I am now Atheist.
GhofraneMusbah

Pro

God controls everything in this universe, so yes, technically, he did crucify his son. Even though the Roman and Jewish leaders did it physically, god ordered them to (since god is the all-seeing and all-knowing, he made the Romans and Jews do it). 'He knew it had to happen in order to save them from their sins', you're just repeating my point in the previous argument. I was asking you to answer the question, not simply state that it's confusing. Also, I'm very confused as to why you're arguing for Christianity when you're an Atheist. I opened this debate in the hopes that his would be an interesting and enlightening debate for both sides. There are many Islam/Christianity/Judaism VS Atheist debates out there so I don't really understand why you chose this one.
Mark119

Con

I was a Christian so I knew a lot about the Christian faith. I chose this debate to try to explain why God did what He did the way I was taught. But I am doing so as a person who is an atheist with an open mind, not someone who believe that no matter what you say you would be wrong. Since I was a Christian I can see why people believe it to be the one true faith and because Christianity and Islam are closely related I can see why others would think Islam is the one true faith. Almost parents are making me go to church so I learn why God does what He supposedly does. I also picked this debate in order to learn more about Islam from a Muslims's perspective. God is all-seeing and all-knowing and He let His son be crucified because it was necessary for them to be released from their sins and the sins from previous generations. God wants to forgive us but He also wants us to ask for forgiveness. Jesus does not represent God he is only the son of God. Even though Jesus dies God is still alive. Jesus being crucified is meant to show that God is willing to let his son die to save his people from sin and He also sent His son to preach about forgiveness and love for everyone because that is what they were lacking at the time.
GhofraneMusbah

Pro

GhofraneMusbah forfeited this round.
Mark119

Con

Mark119 forfeited this round.
Posted by Derpking154.0 6 months ago
Derpking154.0
For me, the three main religions Islam, Christianity, and Judaism believe in the same god, the same perspective on how the world ends. well... I don't know. I'm Atheist.
Posted by thewiseguy1 8 months ago
thewiseguy1
Pro looses
Posted by SparkyKarl 8 months ago
SparkyKarl
The Islamic God simply fails for many reasons.. What Muslim theology fail's to understand about the indoctrinate of the incarnation, is the doctrine of the two (2) natures of Christ. As Christians we believe that Jesus Christ is ONE person but that he has both divine nature and a human nature. Now, the Muslim concept of God is simply without doubt not the greatest conceivable being. The greatest conceivable being would have to be an all loving being, his love would be unconditional, impartial, and universal. And this is the kind of love that Jesus Christ revealed of the heavenly father. But by contrast the God of the Quran is partial, his love is also conditional because you have to earn it, and his love is not universal. He does NOT love sinners as stated in the Quran. Over and over again the Quran say's God loves not the unbelievers, he loves not the sinner, he loves not the hard-neck, he only loves believers. And for that reason alone is evidence enough why the Muslim concept of God always fails.
Posted by Rami 8 months ago
Rami
Don't worry, I can wait
Posted by Just-Call-Me-PK 8 months ago
Just-Call-Me-PK
i think pro has to understand the teachings better, for example , you say why did God not come but instead sent his son, but pro doesn't realise in catholic teaching Jesus is God.
Posted by Just-Call-Me-PK 8 months ago
Just-Call-Me-PK
Pro is making the mistake of playing God by suggesting what God should do or what would make more sense to pro, God did not crucify his son, it was 100% the free will of men (given as a gift from God) that chose to crucify him, a perfect example of men turning away from God because of original sin, also it was prophesied so it had to happen.
Posted by GhofraneMusbah 8 months ago
GhofraneMusbah
As I said, my finals week starts on Monday, so I can't start any other debates until I'm finished with that
Posted by Rami 8 months ago
Rami
Somewhere deep in the religion forums, there is a sign up for this team debate. Other people who have a slightly better clue about Judaism will help you. After all, the is a team debate.
Posted by GhofraneMusbah 8 months ago
GhofraneMusbah
Rami, unfortunately I don't know much about Judaism, so I don't think I'm qualified to initiate a debate. As for Didorus, one debate is already too much for me since my finals week starts on Monday, maybe after I finish this one.
Posted by didorus 8 months ago
didorus
Hey, pro, challenge me to an Islam vs. Christianity debate.