DavidMGold
TheOrator

Islam is a Dangerous, Violent Ideology

DavidMGold

Pro

I contend that Islam is a dangerous, violent ideology. I can demonstrate this fact through the teachings of the Qu'ran and the Sunna, through the "ideal" example of Muhammad, contemporary Islamic teaching, through numerous historical examples, and other empirical evidence over the past 15 years.
TheOrator

Con

Before I start argumentation, I would like to state that I am atheistic, and as such I don't have any pro or anti-Islamic bias, and simply treat it as I would any other religion.

As the Con, I will be arguing that Islam is not Dangerous and/or Violent. As the Pro, my opponent must prove that Islam possesses BOTH (as the resolution states) Dangerous and Violent Ideologies. If he cannot properly prove both, then the resolution cannot be considered to be true. Therefore, if I can disprove at least one of the two points, I will have won the debate.

Ideology: A set of doctrines or beliefs that form the basis of a political, economic, or other system.[1]
Violent: tending to the use of violence, esp in order to injure or intimidate others.[2]
Dangerous: Involving or filled with danger; perilous.[3]

Well, that sums up my intro, and I anxiously await argumentation :)

Works Cited:
1.) http://www.thefreedictionary.com...;
2.) http://www.thefreedictionary.com...;
3.) http://www.thefreedictionary.com...;
DavidMGold

Pro

First of all, thank you for accepting my challenge and I will keep this brief. I have somewhat of a religious background, but I intend to make my case based on the teachings of the Qu'ran and the Sunna or Islamic history.

Argument #1 - What the Qu'ran Commands

I will focus on two verses from the Qu'ran, which are open-ended commands to fight and kill unbelievers wherever they be found with the exception that "People of the Book," Jews & Christians, may live under Islamic rule as dhimmis once they are subdued. These passages exhort believers to commit violence and represent a danger to all non-Muslims. I will cite Sura 9:5, referred to as the Aya of the Sword, and Sura 9:29, which was the last command given by Muhammad before his death.

Sura 9:5 - "So when the sacred months have passed away, then slay the idolaters wherever you find them, and take them captives and besiege them and lie in wait for them in every ambush, then if they repent and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate, leave their way free to them." (According to Ibn Kathir this abrogated any peace between Muhammad or any idolator.)

Sura 9:29 - "Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued." (According to Ibn Kathir, the Muslims went to fight the Romans to call them to Islam based on this command.)

Argument #2 - What History Shows

While many people are aware of the Crusades and Crusaders, but many people forget that the Islamic Ghazis about 400 years before this led by the companions of Muhammad rode out of the Arabian Peninsula and conquered more land and people people than 1,000 years of the Roman Empire spreading Islam by the sword. This is referred to as the First Jihad and constituted land from India all the way through North Africa and into Spain. The Second Jihad can be seen through the conquest of the fading Crusader states all the way through the invasion of South eastern Europe by the Ottoman Turks. Over the 1,400 year history of Islamic conquest and imperialism it is estimated that has 270 million people were killed.

One of the most notable examples from history would be Tamerlane and his brutal conquests and slaughters are indisputable. In his autobiographical memoir, he said

"About this time there arose in my heart the desire to lead an expedition against the infidels, and to become a ghazi, for it had reached my ears that the slayer of infidels is a ghazi, and if he is slain he becomes a martyr.

It was on this account that I formed this resolution, but I was undetermined in my mind whether I should direct my expedition against the infidels of China or against the infidels and polytheists of India.

In this matter I sought an omen from the Qu'ran, and the verse I opened upon [Sura 66:9] was this, "O Prophet, make war upon infidels and unbelievers, and treat them with severity."

My great officers told me that the inhabitants of Hindustan were infidels and unbelievers. In obedience to the order of Almighty Allah I ordered an expedition against them."

Argument #3 - The World Today

Since September 11, 2001 there have been over 19,000 terrorist attacks perpetrated worldwide in the name of lslam and there are dozens of Islamic terrorists groups operating throughout the world. Additionally, over 90 percent of all honor killings are carried out by Muslims worldwide. There are multiple Islamic driven conflicts around the world including the genocide in Sudan, the ongoing war within Nigeria against Christians, the persecution of the Copts of Egypt, the ongoing war for the destruction of the state of Israel, the battle raging in Syria, the nuclear ambition of Iran, the almost daily sectarian violence in Iraq, the war in Afghanistan, the conflict in Chechnya, the dispute over Kashmir, various hot spots throughout Southeast Asia, Islamists are still operating in places like Bosnia, over 45 instances of terrorism have been thwarted since 9/11 and there is a great deal of upheaval in Europe among the Muslims. Clerics, Imams, and spiritual leaders throughout the Middle East are still exhorting their followers to violence against non-Muslims that are acted upon and represent a very clear and present danger to non-Muslims worldwide.
TheOrator

Con

TheOrator forfeited this round.
DavidMGold

Pro

DavidMGold forfeited this round.
TheOrator

Con

I've been so tied up with school I've forgotten to check the site. Vote Pro.
DavidMGold

Pro

DavidMGold forfeited this round.
TheOrator

Con

Hmm, still no argument from dan, eh?
DavidMGold

Pro

DavidMGold forfeited this round.
TheOrator

Con

If I'd known he'd forfeit all his rounds like that, I would have actually posted arguments. If you guys woudln't mind, could you tie this instead of vote for him? He didn't even put "extend arguments", or anything to let me know if I could still debate or not.