Islam is a peaceful religion, distorted by terrorists like ISIS

There has been a rise in discrimination against Muslims in real times. I think it is important for all of us to understand that just a few thousands (0.06%) do not represent a religion of 1.6 billion people. Real Islam is the way of the life of the other 99.94%, and the Holy Qur'an itself. We must read the book to understand the religion.

Look at the Holy Qur'an 2:256 - Verily, there is no compulsion in religion.
Read surah 109: Devoted to freedom of religion.

My opponent, I am sure, will mention verses like 2:191, 2:191, 8:59, 8:60 AND of course, 9:5. But it is important to understand the context. Every verse was revealed in a different situation, and most were revealed during war. When we think of these verses, and also about fighting in a battlefield, these verses seem quite normal. It is perfectly acceptable for a person - In this case, the Apostle of Allah (May the peace and blessings of Almighty God be upon Him - to defend himself in case of an attack.

Also, if we read verses 2:190 - 193 together, we understand the context. Similarly, if 8:61 is read after 8:59-60, everything becomes clear.

Thanks for starting this debate; I'm very happy to argue the case that Islam is not a "religion of peace".

Before I really get into the meat of my argument I would like to make it clear that I believe that the majority of Muslims are peaceful, kind, tolerant, compassionate, empathetic, sympathetic, forgiving, decent folk who enrich the World for their presence; I ascribe all of those characteristics, though, to their humanity, not to their religion.

I am an atheist; as such, taking heed of modern science, I believe that we are the products of four billion years of parallel research and development at the hands of random mutation and natural selection pressures. What it strikes me is unique about Homo Sapiens in the animal world is that we are the greatest sexually independent cooperators the World has ever known (clearly we cannot quite match the unmitigated selflessness of the sexually sterile worker ant).

What is Islam? I see three very distinct aspects of that religion and personally think it fair to give approximately equal weight to all three:

1. What the noble Qur'an says
2. What the prophet (peace be upon him) did (as recorded in the hadith)
3. What modern practising Muslims do

Now, the Qur'an is a notoriously difficult subject to study and derive meaning from (a point I feel that should really count as evidence against the idea that it was divinely inspired!); Islam, like Christianity, has tied its moral compass to words that are thousands of years old. In so doing, in the face of thousands of years of social change, the exegetical (and eisegetical) discourse has evolved (as the scriptures themselves cannot).

I imagine that Pro will wholeheartedly agree with me when I concede that the majority of living Muslims see Islam as a religion of peace; I fear for Pro's case, though, that this is a product of the socio-economic cultural realities that these believers have grown up with and the fundamental nature of mankind.

My opponent has very kindly pointed out some of the nastier verses in the Qur'an, and claims that most were revealed in times of war; I think that just about says all we need to know! Even if, as my opponent claims, these verses (most, mind you) were about waging war in self defence - surely we would not, then, call Islam a "religion of peace"?

Looking for divisiveness in the Qur'an, though, we don't need to travel very far from the opening of the book which I would say is revered in Islam every bit as much (if not dramatically more so) as is the Lord's Prayer in Christendom. The very first verses essentially remind faithful Muslims at least ten times a day (they are recited before and after every prayer) that the Jews are God-angerers and the Christians have, collectively, "gone astray".

Now, when we get to the hadith, we find far, far more grotesque pronouncements, as far from "religion of peace" as a debating opponent of this motion could hope to find:

Sahih al-Bukhari and Sahih Muslim are two of Islam's most canonical hadith collections and instruct us of Muhammad's pronouncements in his life:

Sahih al-Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 56, Number 791:
Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar:
I heard Allah's Apostle saying, "The Jews will fight with you, and you will be given victory over them so that a stone will say, 'O Muslim! There is a Jew behind me; kill him!' "

Sahih Muslim Book 41, Number 6985:
Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: The last hour would not come unless the Muslims will fight against the Jews and the Muslims would kill them until the Jews would hide themselves behind a stone or a tree and a stone or a tree would say: Muslim, or the servant of Allah, there is a Jew behind me; come and kill him; but the tree Gharqad would not say, for it is the tree of the Jews.

Nobody, I feel, can deny that Muhammad was a bloody warlord who kept slaves, had multiple wives (including a child bride decades younger than himself) and encouraged some pretty vicious violence in his time.

And so, what do we have?

1. The Qur'an - it speaks violence, even if most Muslims create distance between them and the violence with clever apologetics
2. Muhammad - he was a warlord
3. Muslims - they are a generally peaceful bunch who see their religion as benign but they are not more peaceful than, say, Christians or Atheists.

And thus I conclude that it would be quite wrong to declare that Islam was a religion of peace.

mohammedsaad001 forfeited this round.

AndyHood forfeited this round.

mohammedsaad001 forfeited this round.

AndyHood forfeited this round.
Posted by matt8800 7 months ago
Islam is based on the text. The text promotes violence. Some Muslims are peaceful but they have to explain away their text in the same way Christians have to explain away their violent text.
As Scarlet said, its a dance to explain why it doesn't say what it says.
Posted by CaptainScarlet 7 months ago
As stated below. This boils down to a no true Scotsman problem. The texts say, what the texts say. It doesn't matter what you do to interpret it, harmonise it, deamplify it, spin it, twist it, metaphorise it ....someone else can always give a straight, literal interpretation and use it to generate hate and inhumane acts. And why shouldn't they? If this is the work of a God, if he is writing in plain text, if you should submit, it needs no further interpretation. The mere fact you use your humanity to arrive at different conclusions, doesn't make you right or Islam a religion of peace. If you choose not to think but to submit your mind to any religion that is when the problems start and that is as true for Islam as any other.
Posted by vi_spex 7 months ago
islam is slavery and war
Posted by V5RED 7 months ago
Islam is a label applied to many sects following the Quran who often have radically different beliefs. Unless you are trying to pull a "no true Scotsman" (or in this case a "no true Muslim") you will end up at a point where Islam as a whole is both peaceful and violent.
Posted by WhineyMagiciann5 7 months ago
someone who understands how islam is. I may not be a muslim but it is always great to see someone show that is peaceful, Muslim or not.