Islam is evil and should be banned worldwide.

This is a debate over whether the religion of Islam is evil or not, and if it should be banned worldwide. I believe it should be and am Pro ban on Islam. Contender will be Con ban on Islam

First round: acceptance and religious background
Second round: both parties shall present opening statements/main points
Third round: rebbutals
Fourth round: closing statements

I'd be happy to debate this with you. As an Atheist I feel as though I can debate this objectively. I believe that as an Atheist I can debate this more effectively than somebody who will accept this out of anger. I can stay rational and collected as I cannot be offended by Pro's remarks.

I'm ready for a good debate. Good luck to Pro.

As said before, I believe that Islam is evil and should be banned worldwide. The reason being, we will get to that. Allow me to shed some light on the history of Islam. The so-called prophet Muhhamed was born in Mecca in aproximatly 570 A.D. he was born out of a wealthy merchant family who traded through caravans bringing in an aboundant income. He was hired by a wealthy widow to guard caravans that were going into the surrounding areas. He eventually married her. As for religions, It was two major polytheistic religions within that city that were followed. When he was around the age of forty, he appearently began to hear voices and see visions. Then the prophet Gabriel came and gave him the revalations that are in the Quran. So the prophet goes and preaches and attracts a following, who then leave to go to Medina. Muhhamed has other visions and such and continues the message. Now flash forward to the last ten years of his life from 622 to 632. He and his followers are running out of money and are needing some cash fast. So he has a solution. Raid other communities and caravans in the name of spreading Islam. This includes killing, raping, and conversion. He allows warfare as an excuse to appearently spread the word. This violence also leads to Jihad, basically a convert or die system within the Muslim world.

Now the significance of the history is the fact that the prophet not only endorsed violence in the name of Islam, but led the charge so to speak in these wrongdoings. The Quran also has many verses on killing and jihad such as these.

Quran (2:191-193) - "And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out. And Al-Fitnah [disbelief] is worse than killing...
but if they desist, then lo! Allah is forgiving and merciful. And fight them until there is no more Fitnah [disbelief and worshipping of others along with Allah] and worship is for Allah alone. But if they cease, let there be no transgression except against Az-Zalimun (the polytheists, and wrong-doers, etc.)"

Quran (3:56) - "As to those who reject faith, I will punish them with terrible agony in this world and in the Hereafter, nor will they have anyone to help."

Quran (8:12) - "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them"

There are least 109 versus that refer to violence in the Quran.

Now, no reasonable person would interperet these verses to be a spiritual struggle. But let us analyze those who do. The following was a online communication between a Christian and Muslim

Q: Does Islam really teach peace? I am a Christian and I do not hate Muslims, but I read in the Qur"an verses like, "And slay them wherever ye catch them.." (2:191) and "..But if they turn away, seize them and slay them wherever ye find them; and (in any case) take no friends or helpers from their ranks." (4:89). How can a peaceful religion teach these things? How do you explain these verses. These quotations from your Holy Book do really make us very uneasy with your faith. I would appreciate your reply.

A: Thank you very much for your kind words that you do not hate Muslims. Hate is not good for any person. I want to assure you that we Muslims also do not hate non-Muslims, be they Christians, Jews, Hindus, Buddhist or followers of any religion or no religion. Our religions does not allow killing any innocent person regardless of his or her religion. The life of all human beings is sacrosanct according to the teachings of the Qur"an and the guidance of our blessed Prophet Muhammad -peace be upon him and upon all the Prophets and Messengers of Allah.

The Qur"an says about the prohibition of murder:

وَلاَ تَقْتُلُوا النَّفْسَ الَّتِي حَرَّمَ اللَّهُ إِلاَّ بِالْحَقِّ ذَلِكُمْ وَصَّاكُمْ بِهِ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَعْقِلُونَ

"..Take not life, which Allah hath made sacred, except by way of justice and law: thus does He command you, that ye may learn wisdom." (al-An"am 6:151)
Now, there is more to that, and here is the link, but it is not much different.

Now, if you read the Quran, you will notice that the Muslim in the online chat contradicted his precious book of peace. The Quran however preaches against killing except for law or justice. Because the Quran was so explicit in its verses on killing previously read, we can infer that the killing of infidels is just in the world of Islam. The Quran presumably advises against the killing of other Muslims.

Now, because I am a Christian, and am debating an athiest I'd like to point out one differencesbetween my religion and Islam. Con will probabbly bring up the murders and pilliging during the Crusades. Allow me to elaborate on the fact that the Bible did not ever tell the Europeans to kill mercillesly on the Crusades. The Quran, however, encourages the merciless killing of Infidels.

Now, let us compare the verses found in the Quran, and the history of Islam to real world events. The Prophet and Quran encouraged jihad on infidels, that is what Osama Bin-Laden did when he attacked the U.S. You can also take that example and use it for Hamas and its on going with Israel. This is also related to theprophet speaking of spreading Islam, only to pillage, kill, and rape. You can see this going on in Iraq, Syria, and Iran.

Finally, I'd like to speak on sharia law. Sharia law is the moral code and law in the Islamic world. It deals with many aspects of Islamic life as well. It is hateful and intolerant, and sexist. It forces women to cover themselves, endorses honor killings, allows very cruel and unusual punishments...... E.T.C. it is an intolerable and evil way to live.

If you read the Quran, study Mohammed, and compare to the real world situations, You will see the controlling and violent nature that Islam holds. Combine reasoning and commen sense, and you will see how cruel and disgusting this religion really is. A world wide ban would not only bring more peace to the world, it would also release the slaves of Sharia law. Because I only have a limited amount of space left, I will not speak on the practicality of this ban in the real world, and how it will affect the Islamic nations, until the next round, after adressing Con's remarks. Thank you for reading.

Pro lacks a certain fundamental understand of Islam. "Allah" is simply the Arabic word for god. It is the same god that Abraham believed in, and the same god that all Christians believe in.

"Violence in the Quran, [Historian Philip Jenkins] and others say, is largely a defense against attack."'
"Much to my surprise, the Islamic scriptures in the Quran were actually far less bloody and less violent than those in the Bible." -Historian Philip Jenkins
"By the standards of the time, which is the 7th century A.D., the laws of war that are laid down by the Quran are actually reasonably humane," he says. "Then we turn to the Bible, and we actually find something that is for many people a real surprise. There is a specific kind of warfare laid down in the Bible which we can only call genocide." -Historian Philip Jenkins

Here is a few examples of what Jenkins is talking about.

"And utterly destroy all that they have, and do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, infant and nursing child, ox and sheep, camel and donkey." -Book of 1 Samuel, when God instructs King Saul to attack the Amalekites
"But what he did was displeasing in the sight of the LORD; so He took his life also." Genesis 38 when Onan is killed for ejaculating on the flood instead of in his sister-in-law
"Happy is the one who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks." Psalm 137

There are 109 verses in the bible that relate to violence? You've got me there! I am just kidding however, as there are 1,318 verses in the bible that relate to violence. (

As far as I can tell, Christianity is much more evil than Islam. Now either we are considering both evil, or neither of them to be evil. I argue that neither are evil. Both the bible and the Qur'an were written in a very different time from now. The culture was different, and things that now have a scientific explanation were listed under the "God made dis" section of each one.

Pro seems to be under the pretense that banning things gets rid of them. Let me list a couple examples of bans that did not work out as planned...

Alcohol prohibition in the United States:
Christianity in the Roman Empire:
Ban on drugs:
Ban on homosexuality in the bible:

I think I've made it clear that bans don't work. By the way, good luck trying to enforce a ban on 1.6 Billion people, or if Pro would rather, 22.74% of all humans. (

I'd like to hear pro elaborate on who will be enforcing this ban. Will it be Muslims? Of course not. Good luck invading them and overthrowing their government. Morale of invading soldiers would be non-existent, and morale of Muslim troops would be higher than ever. Also, if you want to keep Islam weak, why would you give the Sunni and the Shiite a common enemy? You could potentially stabilize the middle east, and this would really screw over an attempt to ban these people's livelihoods.

I argue that no matter how evil some think Islam may be, you cannot ban an idea. You cannot ban somebody's thoughts of how they came into existence. You cannot ban somebody's hopes for the future.

mc1058 forfeited this round.

Pro has forfeited his final round to make an argument. I was requested to more directly call out certain Qur'an verses used by Pro, but as he has forfeited, I will not beat a dead horse.

Thanks for a thought provoking debate, and I hope that I managed to give some perspective on not only Islam, but on Christianity too. I hope that Pro comes back for closing statements.

I'm so sorry to forfeit the last round. My past week has been busy as hell! I will forfeit this debate, but hope to rekindle this fire maybe next week. I do have responses to con's reply, but have not gathered thoughts. again, I apologize for this.

Closing statement: I don't think that Islam should be banned, or that Islam is evil. The reason for this is that the Qur'an is not nearly as violent as the Bible, and also, bans do not work.

Let the voting commence at once!
Posted by Subutai 2 years ago
I'm not going to explain why those quotes are individually out of context, but con essentially got the gist of it by pointing out that your verses were about self-defense and not aggression. Also, I'm not a Muslim, but I used to be one, and I debated this topic a lot.
Posted by SocialistAtheistNutjob 2 years ago
I attempted to address the out of context verses when I quoted the historian. "Violence in the Quran, [Historian Philip Jenkins] and others say, is largely a defense against attack."

I will more directly address them in the next round.
Posted by POPOO5560 2 years ago

well i appreciate the open mind you have there but why dont address the verses from the Quran he brought up there? there are all out of context... funny every debate the same sh1t over and over again, here this debate the same verses by the way the person who arguing for Islam is an atheist atleast we find people with honesty.......
I made a typo. When I re-stated your claim about the Qur'an having 109 mentions of violence, I accidentally said Bible.
Posted by Mirza 2 years ago
You said, "Im not real sure much I can take that out of context."

Yet that is exactly what you are doing by taking out one verse of the book in order to define the religion as violent. Nothing else. You are intellectually lazy. You strive with difficulty to avoid facing the facts, and that's why you cannot even bother reading one chapter of the book, or two consecutive verses. However, as I am not part of this debate, I'll leave it to the Con. (By the way, this paragraph was meant to be read entirely, and not just one sentence of it. Just in case you take some words and scatter them all around and report me for saying I want all people in the world killed. Or something to that level.)
And apparently Subutai isn't even a muslim. Whatever, I'm sure there are some Muslims reading this debate.
Don't worry Subutai, I have your back. You have the same right to practice Islam as I do to choose not to. Of course I'll think you're crazy, but I'm sure that's a mutually shared feeling.
Posted by mc1058 2 years ago

I mean, that's pretty explicit.
Posted by mc1058 2 years ago

Im not real sure much I can take that out of context.
Posted by Subutai 2 years ago
Hey look, I was right. Out-of-context Qur'an verses.
Vote Placed by mishapqueen 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: This was a very interesting, enjoyable, and understandable debate. I'm sad that Pro had to forfeit, because it would have been awesome to see the responses to Con's points. I voted the way I did mostly because of the forfeit. Good luck to you both!