Clash
Microsuck

Islam is not a religion of terrorism

Clash

Clash

Pro

This is my first debate. Because I do not find any debates which I can debate, I thought to just start one of my own.

The foundation of Islam consists of the Quran and the sayings of Prophet Muhammad, so you cannot argue that Islam is a religion of terrorism just because of what some Muslims have done in the history of mankind. There is no question about the fact that many Muslims have done bad things, but these Muslims do not represent true Islam. These Muslims are basically bad Muslims. Look at the good apples not the bad ones. You will find in every religion, including Atheism, people who do bad things. Just because of that, the whole religion is bad? What about the good things done by the followers of that religion then? As they say: Don't judge the car by its driver. To see if a religion really is a religion of terrorism, you have to look at its teachings and foundations. So, in accepting this debate, you accept that you cannot use the absurd argument that just because some Muslims have done this and that, Islam is a religion of terrorism. What is going to be used in this debate is the foundations of Islam, which are The Quran and the sayings of Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him).

Rules

Round 1 is acceptance only. Round 2 are for arguments only. Round 3 is for refuting the opponents arguments in round 2. Round 4 are more refuting. You can also, in round 4, give more arguments if you want and have more.

Definitions

Islam: The religious faith of Muslims, based on the words and religious system founded by the prophet Muhammad and taught by the Koran, the basic principle of which is absolute submission to a unique and personal god, Allah. [1]

Terrorism: The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons. [2]

References

[1] http://dictionary.reference.com...

[2] www.thefreedictionary.com
Microsuck

Con

Hello,

Welcome to debate.org. I accept your challenge and wish you the best of luck. I will argue that Islam does indeed promote terrorism.

Have fun. :)
Clash

Pro

Thank you for accepting this debate. I'm looking forward to debate with you.

Arguments

Prophet Muhammed against terrorism

Many examples can demonstrate the fact that prophet Muhammed was against terrorism, but because of limited space, I will just give two of them. I think just these two examples is enough to show that prophet Muhammed indeed was against terrorism.

1) Some examples of the sayings of prophet Muhammed which is clearly against terrorism.

Go to war in adherence to the religion of Allah. Never touch the elderly, women or children. Always improve their situation and be kind to them. Allah loves those who are sincere. (Ahmad).

Do not kill children. Avoid touching people who devote themselves to worship in churches! Never murder women and the elderly. Do not set trees on fire or cut them down. Never destroy houses. (Bukhãri).

He who kills a non-Muslim (who has a peace treaty) shall not smell the fragrance of Paradise, and its smell is sensed from a distance as far as forty years journey. (collected in Sahih al-Bukhari and Muslim).

I command you not to do ten things, do not kill women, do not kill children, do not kill the elderly, do not destroy trees, do not destroy properties, do not slaughter animals unless it is for food, neither flood or set fire to palm trees, avoid extremism, and do not act cowardly or weak. (Muslim)

The first cases to be adjudicated between people on the Day of Judgment will be those of bloodshed. (Muslim and Al-Bukhari)

A woman was punished because she imprisoned a cat until it died. On account of this, she was doomed to Hell. While she imprisoned it, she did not give the cat food or drink, nor did she free it to eat the insects of the earth. (Muslim and Al-Bukhari)

There is a reward for kindness to every living animal or human. (Muslim and Al-Bukhari)
Do not be people without minds of your own, saying that if others treat you well you will treat them well, and that if they do wrong you will do wrong to them. Instead, accustom yourselves to do good if people do good and not to do wrong (even) if they do evil. (Al-Tirmidhi)

All creation is the family of God, and the person most beloved by God (is the one) who is kind and caring toward His family. (Muslim and Al-Bukhari)

I think these sayings of prophet Muhammed is enough to prove my point. Prophet Muhammed clearly is against terrorism in this sayings, and every rational person knows the conclusion to these sayings. I have to again note that there are of course many more sayings of prophet Muhammed which clearly is against terrorism, but because of limited space, I took only these ones. I think that just these sayings anyway is enough to show that prophet Muhammed was a person who indeed did not promote terrorism.

2) When prophet Muhammed entered the town of Makkah with his huge army, the Quraysh people stood before him expecting him to kill them all. The Quraysh people had previously tortured him and his companions, exiled him and brutally killed his dearest relatives. They basically made a living hell for him. But what did the prophet Muhammed do? He forgave them all. Does this seem like a person of terrorism? Would someone who promoted terrorism do this? Clearly not.

The Quran against terrorism

There are many verses in the Quran which clearly denounces terrorism. Again, because of limited space, I will just give some of them.

when you judge between people, to judge with justice… (Surat an-Nisa', verse 58)

Oh you who believe, stand up firmly for justice, as witnesses to God, even if it be against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be against rich or poor; for God can best protect both. Do not follow any passion, lest you not be just. And if you distort or decline to do justice, verily God is well-acquainted with all that you do. (4:135)

... if someone kills another person - unless it is in retaliation for someone else or for causing corruption in the earth - it is as if he had murdered all mankind. And if anyone gives life to another person, it is as if he had given life to all mankind. Our Messengers came to them with Clear Signs, but even after that many of them committed outrages in the earth. (Surat al-Ma'ida, 32)

But as for those who break Allah's contract after it has been agreed and sever what Allah has commanded to be joined, and cause corruption in the earth, the curse will be upon them. They will have the Evil Abode. (Surat ar-Ra'd, 25)

Eat and drink of Allah's provision and do not go about the earth corrupting it. (Surat al-Baqara, 60)

Do not corrupt the earth after it has been put right. Call on Him fearfully and eagerly. Allah's mercy is close to the good-doers. (Surat al-A'raf, 56)

Allah does not uphold the works of those who cause mischief. (Surah Yunus, 81)

Whenever he holds the upperhand, he goes about the earth corrupting it, destroying (people's) crops and breeding stock. Allah does not love corruption. When he is told to have fear of Allah, he is seized by pride which drives him to wrongdoing. Hell will be enough for him! What an evil resting-place. (Surat al-Baqara, 205-206)

As can be seen from the above verses, it is out of question for someone who fears Allah to do a terrorist act. The Quran clearly is against terrorism, as seen from these verses. Unfortunately, some people have picked some verses from the Quran and justified his terrorist actions by it. All those verses due, are just out of context. A Muslim who knows the Quran good, knows that it is against terrorism.

It is totally irrational to say that Islam is a religion of terrorism, when its foundations (i,c.. The Quran and the sayings of prophet Muhammad) clearly speaks against it, as seen above. Islam is not a religion of terrorism, but of peace. Even the word "Islam" itself is derived from the word "Peace".

1. http://mercyprophet.org...
2. http://www.searchtruth.com...
3. http://www.cair.com...
Microsuck

Con

I wish to thank my partner for his knowledge of the Qur'an and his well-thought-out opening arguments. In order for me to win this debate, I need to prove that Islam is a religion of terrorism.

I. What is Jihad?

According to the Dictionary of Islam, a Jihad is "a religious war with those who are unbelievers in the mission of Muhammad." [1]

II. What the Qur'an says about unbelievers

3:149-151, "O ye who believe! If ye obey those who disbeieve, they will make you turn your backs on your heels, and ye turn back as loosers. But Alah is your Protector, and He is the best of Helpers. We shall cast terror in the hearts of those who disbelieve because they ascribe unto Allah partners, for which no warrant has been revealed. Their habitation is the Fire, and hapless the abode of the wrong-doers."

4:91 "Ye will find others who desire that they should have security from you, and security from their own folk. So often as they are returned to hostility they are plunged therein. If they keep not aloof from you nor offer you peace nor hold their hands, then take them and kill them wherever ye find them. Against such We have given you clear warrant".

III. Why should we fight the unbelievers?

The Qur'an says that we should fight unbelievers because of their beliefs. This is what the Qur'an says in Sura 9:

9:28 O ye who believe! The idolaters only are unclean. So let them not come near the Inviolable Place of Worship after this their year. If ye fear poverty (from the loss of their merchandise) Allah shall preserve you of His bounty if He will. Lo! Allah is Knower, Wise.
9:29 Fight against such of those who have been given the Scripture as believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, and forbid not that which Allah hath forbidden by His messenger, and follow not the Religion of Truth, until they pay the tribute (a poll tax) readily, being brought low.
9:30 And the Jews say: Ezra is the son of Allah, and the Christians say: The Messiah is the son of Allah. That is their saying with their mouths. They imitate the saying of those who disbelieved of old. Allah (Himself) fighteth against them. How perverse are they!

In this Surah, we see several things: (1) Idolaters are unclean; (2) Fight those who: (a) Do not believe in Allah, (b) nor the Last Day, (c) Forbid not that which has Alah has forbidden by his messanger, and (d) Follow not the Reigion of Truth; (3) This is because the Jews say Ezra is Allah's son and Christians say Jesus is Allah's son. Consequently, they are perverse and must be killed.

IV. Kill the Apostates!

Qur'an (4:89) - "They but wish that ye should reject Faith, as they do, and thus be on the same footing (as they): But take not friends from their ranks until they flee in the way of Allah (From what is forbidden). But if they turn renegades, seize them and slay them wherever ye find them"

V. How the early Muslims interpreted all of this

From Guillaume, op cit, page 369:

"The apostle said, "Kill any Jew who falls into your power." Thereupon Muhayyisa b. Masud leapt upon Ibn Sunayna, a Jewish merchant with whom they had social and business relations, and killed him. Huwayyisa was not a Muslim at the time though he was the elder brother. When Muhayyisa killed him Huwayyisa began to beat him, saying, 'You enemy of God, did you kill him when much of the fat on your belly comes from his wealth?' Muhayyisa answered, 'Had the one who ordered me to kill him ordered me to kill you I would have cut your head off.'" [2]

Bukhari volume 9, #64

Narrated Ali, "Whenever I tell you a narration from Allah's messenger, by Allah, I would rather fall down from the sky, then ascribe a false statement to him, but if I tell you something between me and you, (not a Hadith), then it was indeed a trick (i.e., I may say things just to cheat my enemy). No doubt I heard Allah's messenger saying, "During the last days there will appear some young foolish people, who will say the best words, but their faith will not go beyond their throats (i.e. they will leave the faith) and will go out from their religion as an arrow goes out of the game. So, wherever you find them, kill them, for whoever kills them shall have reward on the Day of Resurrection." [emphasis mine] [3]

It is totally irrational to say that Islam is a religion of peace, when it is very clear that Muhammad commanded terrorism. The problem is that Muhammad often contradicted himself whenever it suited him. This is where the abrrogated doctrine comes into play. I have shown several verses from the Quran which clearly state that we should kill the unbelievers. Moreover, the dictionary of Islam clearly states that a Jihad is a holy war against unbelievers. Although it may derive from the word "peace", more accurately, it means "surrender." [4]

----------

1. The Dictionary of Islam, quoted in "Why I am Not a Muslim." page 12
2. Muhammad, Islam, and Terrorism. http://www.answering-islam.org...;
3. Ibid.
4. http://www.islamic-dictionary.com...;
Clash

Pro

Refuting my opponents arguments

I. What is Jihad?

My opponent said that according to the dictionary of Islam, a Jihad is "a religious war with those who are unbelievers in the mission of Muhammad." This is not what in fact the dictionary of Islam says. This is what the dictionary of Islam, which my own opponent has put in his sources, says about Jihad: '(1) Personal Struggle (in the way of Allah (God) to keep evil away from yourself) (2) Holy War (Fighting a fair, defensive war - to stop oppression' [1]

This is exactly what Jihad is. Its a big misunderstanding on Jihad going on. The biggest misunderstanding on it, is that its meaning is "Holy war". This is completely wrong. You will not find in any place the word "Holy war" in the Quran, which means "harbun muqaddasatu" in arabic. The exact meaning of "Jihad" is "effort". Thus, in Islam, "to carry out jihad" is "to show effort, to struggle". Prophet Muhammad explained that "the greatest jihad is the one a person carries out against his lower soul". This means your desires and ambitions. The term Jihad is applied in many different forms. Jihad exist also on a war form. But Allah granted permission for Jihad in war only for defensive purposes.

I will respond to both of these verses, taking only with me their place in the Quran, because of limited space.

3:149-151

Answer: This verse does in no way promote terrorism. It does only say to not follow the disbelievers. Because the disbelievers make partners with God, terror will be cast into their hearts by God, and they will go to hell because of that. It does not say anything about killing the unbelievers or to promote terrorism.

4:91

Answer: As everybody clearly can see from this verse, the Muslims are ordered to kill them only if they do not offer peace or hold their hands. It does not say to kill them without a reason.The people being referred to by this verse are the pagan Arabs who had been waging war against prophet Muhammed and who had broken their covenant and treaties with him. And how does this verse promote terrorism? This verse is just talking about some pagans which the Muslims was in war with. Does not have anything with promoting terrorism. When it says to kill them wherever you find them, it is only meant for the those same pagan Arabs. Of course you will say to kill them wherever you find them. Every rational person would say that. Should they just look at them? Give them a hug maybe? In war, you have to kill them wherever you find them. Of course, only those who is active in the war.

My opponent says that 'the Qur'an says that we should fight unbelievers because of their beliefs'. This is not true at all. There is no complusion in islam. And nowhere in these verses that my opponent gave from the Quran does it say that we should fight the unbelievers because of their beliefs. The closest verse saying this is 9:29, but this verse is being misinterpreted a lot. Let me answer that verse and the other verses my opponent gave.

9:28

Answer: Yes, the idolatrous are unclean indeed, and because of the fact that they are idolatrous, they are of course not allowed to worship in the place of the Muslims. But what does that have to do with Islam promoting terrorism?

9:29

Answer: This verse does not say that you should fight the people of scripture because they do not believe in Allah or the last day, but that you should fight the people of scripture, until they pay the tribute. Thats all. Does not have anything with terrorism or killing the people of scripture themself because they don't believe in Allah or the last day. Why they have to pay the tribute is another topic which I dont have time to talk about.

9:30

Answer: Again, what does the fact that just because the Christians and Jews are perverse in saying that God has a son, have to do with Islam promoting terrorism?

IV. Kill the Apostates!

First of all, this verse which you showed us from the Quran does not say that we should kill apostates. It does not have anything to do with apostates. Its also taken completely out of context. This verse speaks about the pagan Arabs. If you read the whole context, you will see that this verse is talking about those pagan Arabs which are not in a peace treaty with you and basically don't want any peace, but just fight. In this verse, Allah clearly says that you should make peace with them if they also want peace, but if they attack you and don't wanna have peace with you, then you have the right to fight them

Now, let us say, just for the sake of the argument, that Islam teaches that apostates should be killed. Does that mean that Islam is a religion of terrorism? If so, my opponent has to show me how the killing of apostates proofs that Islam is a religion of terrorism. Basically, how does the promotion of Islam that apostates should be killed, proof that Islam also promotes terrorism?

From Guillaume

This is not the whole saying. The saying goes on to say that Huwayyisa accepted Islam after this. Because of limited space, I cannot give the whole saying. Its on Guillaume at page 369.

If one was to believe that the above mentioned killing did happen because of the order of Prophet Muhammad and that command was completely unjust and absolutely unwarranted for (as my opponent wants us to believe), then could the person who had questioned the killer would have accepted Muhammed as the "Messenger of God" and become a Muslim?

The hadith narrated by Ali

This hadith (A saying of prophet Muhammed) speaks about people who leaves Islam. In other words: Apostaty. Have nothing to do with promoting terrorism. Anyway, I have refuted this issue on apostaty above and so will not, and does not, need to do it again.

1. http://www.islamic-dictionary.com...
2. http://www.aboutjihad.com...
3. http://www.mostmerciful.com...
4. http://quran.com...
Microsuck

Con

I wish to apologize to my partner, but I must forfeit this round. I am on vacation and have no time for a rebuttal. This isn't a forfeit of the entire debate, buit just for this round. Thank you.
Clash

Pro

I understand and its completely fine.

I will also like to say that my partner here will not be able to respond to my rebuttal, because he should have done that at this round. I know he is on vacation, but that is what sometimes happens. I have also successfully refuted his arguments which are based only on some anti-Islamist sites. The verses my opponent gave are all taken out of context and misunderstood. The conclusion is still the same: Islam is not a religion of terrorism.

I thank my partner Microsuck for this great debate, and I think its really unfortunately that my opponent is on vacation (Probably not for him) and cannot do this whole debate. But anyway, it had been a pleasure to have this debate with you. :)
Microsuck

Con

Thanks. Please re-challenge me to this debate. I'll just forfeit. It's unfair for my partner if I respond to his rebuttals and he cannot respond back. Vote pro.
Posted by Microsuck 4 years ago
Microsuck
Challenge now if u want.
Posted by Clash 4 years ago
Clash
Thank you, I appreciate that. Yes, I would indeed like to re-debate with you this topic, and this time have more character limit, because 6000 was not as much as I thought. Please tell me when you want me to challenge you. We can hopefully have a real debate than.
Posted by Ron-Paul 4 years ago
Ron-Paul
Thanks for knowing about Islam!
Posted by The_Fool_on-The-Hill 4 years ago
The_Fool_on-The-Hill
I think people mean that most terrorism latley seemed to be based on Islam. Its has alot of violent phrases. But if it wasn't for Seclurism Christianity would be just as bad.
Vote Placed by SkepticsAskHere 4 years ago
SkepticsAskHere
ClashMicrosuckTied
Vote Placed by airmax1227 4 years ago
airmax1227
ClashMicrosuckTied
Vote Placed by Yep 4 years ago
Yep
ClashMicrosuckTied
Reasons for voting decision: How could someone accept this as the negative? Microsuck you got alot of balls, too bad for the FF. Conduct is tied b/c of concession.
Vote Placed by Mirza 4 years ago
Mirza
ClashMicrosuckTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro rebutted every claim that Con made. Pro correctly pointed out that the Quranic verses are taken out of their historical contexts. Con loses point for sources by claiming that the "Dictionary of Islam" defines Jihad (a very important word in this debate) as a religious war against unbelievers. He didn't link to this dictionary, so it is completely ambiguous.
Vote Placed by 1dustpelt 4 years ago
1dustpelt
ClashMicrosuckTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
ClashMicrosuckTied