Islam is the most logical of the Abrahamic Faiths

Rules 'n stuff (I'm usually not this strict but given the nature of the topic it demands :
Terms must be followed strictly (If a term is misused in an argument from Me or con

then that said argument will be made invalid)

Format must also be followed strictly (with punishment being similar to what is
mentioned above)

No trolling or insulting.

If a verse from the Bible, Qur'an or any other Scripture/Sacred text is used to base ones argument then it must be taken in its complete form and in full context. (No mistranslated verses allowed)
In terms of Islam, no illegitimate or mistranslated Hadith are allowed, only from authentic sources (hence removing the hadith of "72 Virgins"

If the terms mentioned below are unreasonable or inaccurate definitions then Con may modify the terms but only if backed up by an argument as to why.

Format of debate:
Round 1: Acceptance of terms
Round 2: Opening Arguments
Round 3: Rebuttals
Round 4: Counter-rebuttals and Conclusive arguments.

Abrahamic Faiths: The monotheistic religions of Judiasm, Christianity and Islam

Judiasm: The religion of the Jews based off the teachings of the Tanakh and the oldest of the monotheistic faiths.
Tanakh: The main Jewish scripture split into 24 books and three sections (the Torah, Nevi'im and the Ketivum)

Islam: The religion of the Muslims based off the teachings of the Qur'an and the Prophet Muhammad.
Qur'an: The scripture of the Muslims, often split into 30 sections known as juz.

Hadi'th: A collection of traditions containing sayings of the prophet Muhammad that, with accounts of his daily practice (the Sunnah), constitute the major source of guidance for Muslims apart from the Qur'an.

Christianity: The religion of Christians based on the teachings of the Bible and Jesus of Nazareth.

Bible: The main scripture of the Christians consisting of 66 books from the Old and New Testaments .

Gospel: The record of Jesus' life and teaching in the first four books of the New Testament. Constitutes as a second major source of guidance other then the Bible itself.

logical: Of or according to the rules of logic or formal argument.

I will be arguing that Islam is the most logical of the Abrahamic faiths as con will be arguing to the contrary.

I thank con for accepting the terms and rules of the debate, I shall go straight to my first argument.

The Bible indirectly acknowledges the legitimacy of Muhammad

One thing that all of the Abrahamic faiths have in common is the belief in Abraham. Jews, Muslims and Christians alike all acknowledged Abraham to have been a great prophet. In the book of Genesis chapter 12 on verses 2-3 in the context in which God calls to Abraham to leave his household it is stated
2 “I will make you into a great nation,
and I will bless you;
I will make your name great,
and you will be a blessing.
3 I will bless those who bless you,
and whoever curses you I will curse;
and all peoples on earth
will be blessed through you.”
Now it states that all who bless Abraham are blessed by God. In the Muslim’s five daily prayers at the end of the prayer the “Salawaat” Is recited. In the last half of the Salawaat a reference is made to the blessing of Abraham as these are the last verses spoken by Muslims before concluding prayer:
“O Allah (please) bless Muhammad and the Household of Muhammad. And send blessings upon Muhammad and the Household of Muhammad, In the same way as you have and conferred benedictions upon (Prophet) Abraham and the Household of Abraham, You are verily worthy of all praise and full of all glory.”

Now according to the Genesis God will bless all who bless Abraham (as mentioned above) and as also mentioned above every Muslim prayer ends with blessing or at least referencing to the blessing of Abraham. This action being done by Muslims five times a day. In fact every time Abraham’s name is mentioned in the presence of a Muslim it is obligatory for them to say “Alayhi salam” afterwards. While this isn’t the direct acknowledgement of Muhammad as a prophet it shows how the bible indirectly acknowledges the Muslims.

Muslims believe that the Bible and Torah (or known to Muslims as the “Injeel” and “Torat”) were once the true words of God but then each book except for the Quran got corrupted and changed over time. Now this is a reason why the Quran is always learnt in Arabic its original language because if the Quran were to be learnt in a different language then it would get “lost in translation” every time a different region of the earth became Muslim. This a reason how the Muslims believed the bible got changed as it endlessly got changed from Hebrew to Greek to Latin to French before actually being translated to English. Because of that Muslims believe that some parts of the Bible may have been preserved during this change but became too difficult to tell. Mentioning this was important as it connects greatly to the second part of my argument.
It is stated in the book of Isaiah 29:11-12:
11The entire vision will be to you like the words of a sealed book, which when they give it to the one who is literate, saying, "Please read this," he will say, "I cannot, for it is sealed." 12Then the book will be given to the one who is illiterate, saying, "Please read this." And he will say, "I cannot read."
Muhammad was illiterate and could not read. The Arabian Peninsula at the time was mostly Pagan and at the period illiteracy was very common with the exceptions of small Jewish tribes that lived there. Muhammad was also neither Christian nor Jewish when he claimed Prophet and yet by almost all traditional and modern sources the first Surah of the Quran that was said to be revealed was Surat’ul Alaq. The first five verses of the Surah state:
(1). Read! In the Name of your Lord, Who has created (all that exists), (2). Has created man from a clot (a piece of thick coagulated blood). (3). Read! And your Lord is the Most Generous, (4). Who has taught (the writing) by the pen [the first person to write was Prophet Idrees (Enoch)],(5). Has taught man that which he knew not.
One of the famous names of the Quran is “Al-Kitab” meaning the book. Just as the bible said the book is delivered to the one whom is not literate saying “read this”. And as shown above the first verse of the Quran revealed calls to read.
It is also stated in the Gospel of John(chapter 14,verse16): "I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever;
There is a great controversy with this verse that is that if you translate the English word of the helper or comforter (another word that was used to describe helper in the verse above) one would end up with a name along the lines of Ahmed which was a famous nickname of Muhammad. The context of the verse saying that this “Helper” would be the last and after him there would not be another.
In the Gospel of John chapter 15 verse 26 in further states:
"When the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, that is the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify about me,
Once more Muhammad testified to Jesus (Known as “Isa” in the Quran) and in Islam one cannot be a Muslim without acknowledging that Jesus was a prophet as it is a part of the “6 pillars of Iman”
In John 14:26 it states: “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.”
As well as John 16:7: “"But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you”
John 16:8: “And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment”
Now I’ve seen a lot of sources claim that the “Helper” that is mentioned in these verses is the Holy Spirit and not another prophet. However the problem with that claim is that explicitly Jesus said that if he leave then the Helper will not come. Yet the Holy Spirit is a part of the trinity meaning that God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are one. Meaning that if they are one then how could Jesus have left and yet have a part of him come back despite the fact that he had to have been completely gone in order for the “Helper” to come.

While the Quran’s claims are compatible with archeological and historical evidence the Bible and Torah contradict said evidence.

An example of this is the story of Noah’s Ark. Once more the three Abrahamic faiths all acknowledge Noah as a prophet of God. However each of the faiths contrasts in their views on how the flood occurred.
Since the Christian story of Noah’s Ark was written in the Old Testament the Jewish and Christian views on Noah’s Ark are very, very similar. However the part of the story that matters to this argument the Jewish views and Christian views share the identically.
According to the Christian/ Jewish views of Noah’s Ark Noah was a prophet who preached to the people of earth for 500 years. In that 500 years he makes little progress to the people as they still remain corrupt and fail to repent. It is then that God tells Noah to build and Ark over a period of 150 years. It is in this period of 150 that is humanity’s last chance to repent. However in those 150 years few actually repent. It is then that God releases a Deluge on the Earth that flooded every mountain. After the flood subsided the Ark landed in Mount Ararat in the Armenian Highlands.
This story contradicts with many forms of Archeological research. For one archeological evidence shows that it was scientifically impossible for a worldwide flood to have occurred when Noah was alive. As well as the fact that Mount Ararat is a very young geological formation and given the biblical timeline it is incompatible with the formation of Mount Ararat.
Contrast that with the Muslim perspective of the story of Noah’s Ark. The Quran states that the flood was at only a local scale, affecting only the region of “Thamud” which Noah was preaching to. And this does seem more logical if one thinks of it: Why would God flood the entire world and destroy the habitat of hundreds of thousands of innocent animals for the corrupt actions of one region of the earth?
The Quran states that Noah’s ark instead landed in Mount Judi in modern day Turkey. Once more archeological evidence shows remnants of a structure with the same dimensions as described in the Quran (also known as the “Durupinar site”). However similar efforts to find evidence of the Ark in Mount Ararat had been tried and all of those attempts failed find full evidence of such a site.
This combined with the first argument in which I mentioned the Muslims views on the rest of the Abrahamic Faiths shows how Islam is overall the most logical of the Abrahamic Faiths.

Thanks, Pro.

Opening Argument

As requested by my opponent, I will save my rebuttal for the third round and instead present my own arguments in this round as to why Islam is not the most logical of the Abrahamic Faiths.

i. The Muslim conception of God is not maximally great

Typically, God is defined as a maximally great being. This means that God is maximal in all great-making properties. For example, God is all-powerful, all-knowing, and all-good. If a conception of God were to be less than maximally great, then that conception would be false as it is conceivable that an even greater being exists, which would itself be God. The Islamic conception of God is not maximally great. An all-good God would have to be an all-loving God. The Islam conception of God is not an all-loving God, but rather a semi-loving God. Let's take a look at some examples found in the Quran that show the Islamic conception of God to be less-than all-loving:

"Allah is an enemy to the disbelievers" 2:98

"Allah does not like every sinning disbeliever" 2:276

"If they turn away- then indeed, Allah does not like the disbelievers" 3:32

"Allah does not like the wrongdoers" 3:57

"Allah does not like those who are self-deluding and boastful" 4:36

"Allah does not like transgressors" 5:87

"He does not like those who commit excess" 6:141

"Allah does not like traitors" 8:58

We can conclude from these examples that the less-than all-loving conception of God found in Islam is not a distortion or selection of a single verse, but rather a common theme displayed throughout the Quran. It follows, then, that the Islamic conception of God is inadequate and that a greater being exists instead.

ii. The Resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth

Islam cannot account for the facts surrounding the Resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth. These facts, best presented by Dr. William Lane Craig, include:

FACT #1: After his crucifixion, Jesus was buried in a tomb by Joseph of Arimathea.

There are no other competing burial stories (which we would expect if this burial story was false) than the one attested to by St. Paul in 1 Corinthians.

FACT #2: On the Sunday following the crucifixion, Jesus’ tomb was found empty by a group of his women followers.

The fact the the scripture tells us the tomb of Jesus was found empty by "women followers" is essential. We would expect the witnesses to be men if this was a lie, as women's testament was worthless. Furthermore, Jewish opponents of Christ claimed that the body was stolen by His followers. This is evidence that the tomb was in fact empty, otherwise these enemies would have no reason to make such a claim.

FACT #3: On multiple occasions and under various circumstances, different individuals and groups of people experienced appearances of Jesus alive from the dead.

Independent attestations of these appearances can be found in each of the Gospels.

FACT #4: The original disciples believed that Jesus was risen from the dead despite their having every predisposition to the contrary.

There was no room in Jewish belief for a Messiah that would die (or rise from the dead.) The actions of the original disciples, if the resurrection did not occur, should have been to abandon their belief that Jesus was God. However, they believed so strongly that Jesus was raised from the dead (in conflict with the Jewish belief) that they went to their deaths proclaiming the truth of it. I can't think of anyone who would die for a cause in which they were lying about.

Burden of Proof

My opponent is responsible for shouldering the burden of proof in this debate. To do so, he must provide justification for the assertion that "Islam is the most logical of the Abrahamic Faiths". As such, even if all the arguments I present fail (which I don't for a second think they do) my opponent would still have all of his work in front of him in proving that "Islam is the most logical of the Abrahamic Faiths." In the next round, I will address the arguments my opponent has made thus far.

I have given two arguments to think that Islam is not the most logical of the Abrahamic faiths. The first shows that the Islamic conception of God is inadequate, as this conception is not of an all-loving God, but rather of a semi-loving God whom only loves those who love him. The second argument shows that Islam is not able to account for the facts surrounding the resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.

In order to sustain the burden of proof and win this debate, my opponent must knock each of these arguments down in the next round and, more importantly, present sound arguments of his own in attempt to show that "Islam is the most logical of the Abrahamic Faiths". Until he is able to accomplish these two feats, we can reasonably conclude that Islam is not any more logical than either of the other two Abrahamic faiths.

UtherPenguin forfeited this round.

Extend arguments

UtherPenguin forfeited this round.

My opponent has forfeited.

Vote Con!
Posted by UtherPenguin 1 year ago
Apologies for forfeiting the debate, the internet where I lived had shut down for the past week so I was left unable to finish my rebuttals, my rebuttals were however ready but due to the aformentioned reasons I couldnt post them, would you like a rematch later on?
Posted by Vajrasattva-LeRoy 1 year ago
Islam, by definition, means submission to the will of God.
There is no such religion as submission to the will of God.
Since people have been Refusing to submit all along,
Islam has to be False.
It's not logical, at all !
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff many times, so conduct to Con. Pro left all of Con's arguments unrefuted, so arguments to Con.