DIKFans
mayahcw

Islam is the true religion

mayahcw

DIKFans

Pro

Islam is the true religion among other religions. It means if we follow Islamic teaching, we will go to paradise, not hellfire. What happen to other religions? The follower of non Islamic teaching will go to hell. Since their religion's concept is wrong, or not from the true God. The teaching of the True God must be accepted by logical thinking.
mayahcw

Con

For this debate, a few definitions need to be established. As you are the Pro (Affirmative), you have the right to change these Con (Negative) definitions (granted they are within logic and reason).

Definitions:
1. true: agreeing with the facts; not false; real or genuine (a.)
2. religion: an organized system of beliefs, ceremonies, and rules used to worship a god or a group of gods (b.)
3. hell: the place where the devil lives and where evil people go after they die according to some religions (c.)
4. Muslim: a person whose religion is Islam : a follower of Islam (d.)
5. Quran: The Quran is the holy book which Muslims recite and turn to for guidance in all aspects of their lives (e.)
6. Islam: the religion which teaches that there is only one God and that Muhammad is God's prophet; the religion of Muslims (f.)

Islam, though widely prevalent, can not be proven as the "one true religion". Let's examine the reasons why.

(1)The Quran is the main written authority that Muslims follow. It turns out that this book has quite a few faulty lines and verses in it. How can Islam be the one true religion if the book the religion is most firmly rooted in is faulty?
(2)Allah was being worshipped long before Muhammad was born, and before Islam was established.
(3)In Islam, certain parts of the Bible are considered to be the Word of God, even though these Words present a direct contradiction to many of the beliefs established in Islam.

(a.) http://www.merriam-webster.com...
(b.) http://www.merriam-webster.com...
(c.) http://www.merriam-webster.com...
(d.) http://www.merriam-webster.com...
(e.) http://www.whyislam.org...
(f.) http://www.merriam-webster.com...
DIKFans

Pro

1. You can say so but you cant prove it
2. Allah is arabic word for God in English. Does it matter to you?
3. Bible have many contradictions. It mean there is true verses in the bible that Qur'an can confirm
mayahcw

Con

"You can say so but can you prove it" - Quote from the Pro's previous argument.

I assume you are asking me to prove that the "Quran has faulty lines and verses in it". Here is one example:

• The Quran states that only a few of the later believers will enter into paradise S. 56:11-14 [1] Later on, it states that numerous later believers will enter into paradise (S. 56:39-40 [2]). "Few" and "Numerous" are very different words. They cannot both be true.

"Allah is arabic word for God in English." - Quote from the Pro's previous argument.

Well, history strongly suggests that "Allah" is actually a word that was used before Islam was established.

• "Allah is found... in Arabic insciptions prior to Islam"[3]
    • "The name Allah, as the Qur'an itself is witness, was well known in pre-Islamic Arabia. Indeed, both it and its feminine form, Allat, are found not infrequently among the theophorous names in inscriptions from North Arabia. The common theory is that it is formed from 'ilah', the common word for a god, and the article 'al-'; thus 'al-ilah', 'the god,' becomes 'Allah', 'God'. This theory, however, is untenable. In fact, the name is one of the words borrowed into the language in pre-Islamic times from Aramaic.[4]
    • "In ancient Arabia, the sun-god was viewed as a female goddess and the moon as the male god. ... the Moon god was called by various names, one of which was Allah"[5]

"Bible have many contradictions. It mean there is true verses in the bible that Qur'an can confirm"

Muslims believe the Torah, parts of the Gospels, and the Psalms to be the Word of God. Some of the attributes accredited to the God of the Bible are inconsistent with the attributes given to Allah in the Qur'an.

In any case, you still have yet to prove that Islam is the one true religion.

[1]http://quran.com...
[2]http://quran.com...
[3] Encyclopedia Britannica, I:643
[4] Islam: Muhammad and HIs Religion; Arthur Jefferey, pg. 85
[5] (op.cit., Islam, p. 7)
DIKFans

Pro

1. No contradiction in that verses.

You can read it carefully. After the end of this world, there will be

At that time all peoples will be divided into three classes:

1. The foremost in rank and position (v 10) : a large company of the former peoples and a few of later peoples (v 13 and 14)

2. The common righteous people (v 9) : a large company of the former peoples and a large company of later peoples (v 39 and 40)

3. Those who denied the Hereafter and persisted in disbelief and polytheism and major sins till the last (v 10) :

2. Word of Allah

Allah means God. As arabic people, ancient and modern, still use the same name for God.

3. Al Quran is the true book from God. If any verse in the bible contradict with Qur'an, it means that in the bibles is not true
mayahcw

Con

There are obvious contradictions in that verse.

I've given you evidence against Islam, but you have yet to prove that "Islam is the true religion". How do you know Islam is the true religion? All you have done so far is state your opinion on the matter. You have given me absolutely no proof whatsoever.
DIKFans

Pro

No evidences you gave me. Only statements. And i can answer your wrong statements.
mayahcw

Con

I have given you evidence. I gave you over three paragraphs of it in Round 2.

The first proof I gave was that the Qur'an (sometimes stylized as Koran, or Quran) contradicts itself. The Qur'an is the chief book in Islam. It is extremely important to them, and a large amount of their beliefs come from this very book. The problem is, the Qur'an says a couple of things that do not really make much sense, that you have still yet to explain to me. Here, I'll recap them for you:

1. The Quran states that only a few of the later believers will enter into paradise S. 56:11-14 [1] Later on, it states that numerous later believers will enter into paradise (S. 56:39-40 [2]). "Few" and "Numerous" are very different words. They cannot both be true.

The second proof was that Allah was being worshipped by Pagans long before Islam was established.

1. "Allah is found... in Arabic inscriptions prior to Islam"[3]

2. "The name Allah, as the Qur'an itself is witness, was well known in pre-Islamic Arabia. Indeed, both it and its feminine form, Allat, are found not infrequently among the theophorous names in inscriptions from North Arabia. The common theory is that it is formed from 'ilah', the common word for a god, and the article 'al-'; thus 'al-ilah', 'the god,' becomes 'Allah', 'God'. This theory, however, is untenable. In fact, the name is one of the words borrowed into the language in pre-Islamic times from Aramaic.[4]

3. "In ancient Arabia, the sun-god was viewed as a female goddess and the moon as the male god. ... the Moon god was called by various names, one of which was Allah"[5]

The third proof was that the Torah, which Muslims believe to be the Word of God, contradicts directly with the Qur'an. I gave was

1. The Qur'an tells us that the Jews and were wrong for worshipping the Trinity of God (Father, Spirit, Son), claiming that there was no such thing.[1] Let us assume that this is so. Keep this in mind. Also, remember that when we read Genesis (which is part of the Torah) is believed by Muslims to be true, and the Qur'an even tells us that it is. So according to Islam, the Scripture that follows is true.

Genesis 1:26, NIV:
"Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness..."
Please tell me, who is this "our"? If there is no Trinity, who could God be talking to? Some say He could have been talking to the angels, but this is where we really have to analyze things. The verses (in both the Qur'an and the Bible) say that God created the earth. Not God and the angels. Just God. So, if God says, "Let US make man in OUR image..." that would mean the angels helped God in creating the earth. If I say to you, "Let's go clean out the car!" That means that you and I both are going to clean out the car. So whoever God is talking to in this verse, they obviously took part in the creation process.

Now, do remember that Islam includes the Torah (which includes Genesis) to be the Word of God. So, if Genesis 1:26 is the Word of God, and God was obviously talking to someone, how can the Muslims then claim that there is no Trinity; none but God? Think about it for a moment. Imagine sitting in your room alone. Would you say to yourself, "Wow, it's cold in here. I need to go get our blanket out of the closet."? Or would you say, "Wow, it's cold in here. I need to go get my blanket out of the car."? Here It's important to remember that though the Trinity is three, it is still one and the same, so the Christianity and Judaism is not a polytheist religion.

This therefore means that one of these is not true. They cannot both be true. If Genesis 1:26 is not true, then that means the Qur'an was wrong in stating that the Torah is true, since Genesis is a part of the Torah. If there is a mistake in the Qur'an, that means that the sura that tells us that the Qur'an is a work of God is not true, since we are told in Islam that God does not make mistakes. Of course, when presented with this problem, most Muslims simply say that the Torah is incorrect because man mistranslated it -something we hear often when things cannot be explained- even though there are quite a few Scriptures in the Torah that can back up this very claim (as well as a number of suras).

2. Also, we are told in the Qur'an that Ezra (Uzayr, or Uzair) was a wise man who copied the Torah once he had found it. Yet Muslims today claim that Ezra changed the words in the Torah. Of course, only the words that contradict their Qur'an. Ezra is considered to be a prophet by many scholars (though this is not mentioned in the Qur'an).

Now, if we can consider this for a moment. In the first round, we established the meaning of 'true'. In order for Islam to be the one true religion, it would have to 'agree with the facts', according to Marriam Webster. Well, what facts? How about scientific and historical evidence? The Qur'an tells us that the sun sets in a puddle, that the earth is stationary, that Pharaoh built the tower of Babel, and a whole host of other things that are incorrect.
DIKFans

Pro

DIKFans forfeited this round.
mayahcw

Con

mayahcw forfeited this round.
Posted by persianimmortal 12 months ago
persianimmortal
I would challenge you to a friendly debate regarding the same subject matter @mayahcw
Posted by OnlineMissionary197 1 year ago
OnlineMissionary197
I know that this is not a debate to prove Christianity, but where one God is false, another has to take its place. Even in Atheism. In Atheism, Man is God. Now as a Christian I would argue my case using Christianity, but You can use whatever religion you want. What I previously was trying to say, is that both of you need to provide actual evidence. Not just statements and opinions.
Posted by mayahcw 1 year ago
mayahcw
OnlineMissionary197,

Talking about whose God is better and stronger is definitely not proof. Consequences and faithfulness does not prove anything, really. This is not a Christianity vs Islam debate. This is not a platform to prove that the God of the Bible is the true God. That, I already know. Even if I prove that God is more powerful, faithful, merciful, and kind than Allah is, that still does not prove that Islam is NOT the true religion. If I say, "It's better to follow God than it is to follow Allah because the Bible says God is merciful and forgiving,", have I proved Islam to be false? No. Proving that one religion is better that the other still does not prove that the other one is not true. All I've really done is strayed off topic and have made an argument that can easily be shut down because of its topicality. I cannot use the Bible as a direct means to prove that Islam is incorrect in this particular debate. For this debate, I can only use historical evidence and evidence from the Qur'an to prove my argument, since the Qur'an is the most important book in Islam. I already made a brief discussion about the origin of Islam (mainly the origin of the word Allah). Maybe you should go take a look at the links I left, or try reading one of the books I referenced in my first two arguments.
Thanks for your advice!
OnlineMissionary197
None of you have provided evidence for your original arguments. All I see on con is evidence to his responses against Pro, but none to back his own argument. And con, you should have taken advantage of the round and give pro evidence for your argument, along with anything else that needed to be added in response to his refute on your argument. Instead you rebuke him for not providing evidence, which you have not done either. Both of you should better get a jump on it. Hopefully you two can bring a more compelling argument. Try arguing on whose God is more powerful and faithful, why would you follow this religion, Which has a more compelling origin, what are the consequences of your religions(the good and the bad) Let hop to it shall we?
OnlineMissionary197
I have yet to see examples of "contradictions in the Bible". Pro, you need to make sure you present proper evidence. You will lose if you only present opinions without anything to back it up.
OnlineMissionary197
Try stating the origin of Islam. Where did it come from? Build your way up from there. Please refer to these articles for info on the topic:
http://www.allaboutreligion.org...

http://evidenceforchristianity.org...

http://reverendknow-it-all.blogspot.com...

I hope these sources are helpful. Have a great Debate! :D
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 1 year ago
Blade-of-Truth
DIKFansmayahcwTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Tie. Both debaters forfeited the final round, thus each lost conduct and remain null against one another in this case. S&G - Tie. Both had appropriate spelling and grammar throughout. Some minor grammar issues on Pro's side, but nothing worth point-loss. Arguments - Con. Pro failed to uphold his BOP by showing that Islam is the true religion. Con effectively called this out in nearly every round, yet Pro continued to rely on ambiguous syllogisms which offered no strength to his supposed position. On the flip side, Con was able to show faults within the religion of Islam, most of which left standing unchallenged by Pro, and then was left hanging in the end with Pro's forfeit in the final round. Due to Pro's lack of upholding his BOP, as well as leaving Con's challenges standing, Con wins arguments. Sources - Con. Pro failed to utilize sources throughout the debate, whereas Con shared several in almost every round. This is a clear win for Con.