muslimnomore
Nyx999

Islam is the world's worst religion

muslimnomore

Pro

I understand that there are different types of muslims. I understand that there are different ways in which people practise Islam. I understand that there are different versions of Islam. I understand that every religion has its extremists. Even atheism had its Stalins, Maos and Pol Pots. But the more I think about it, the more I hate Islam overall and generally speaking.
If we assess the scriptures solely, there are passages in the Old Testament that would put the barbaric ayahs of the Quran to shame.
However, mix the ridiculously violent and misogynistic passages of the Quran with tribal, feudal, incredibly vain, primitive, male-dominated, underdeveloped cultures and you get the most vile, horrendous religion the world has ever seen.
I do not regret being born into it because it has only made me understand what a crazy ideology Islam really is.

Here is my argument:

1. The world's worst religion is the religion that causes the most oppression and presents the most obstacles to scientific, financial and technological progress.
2. A religion is the combination of its scriptures, the cultures and individuals who adhere to it, and its rituals.
3. Islam is not the world's worst religion based on scriptures alone, but with all the factors in 2 considered altogether.
4. Islam is statistically and logically, arguably the world's worst religion.
Nyx999

Con

There are DEFINITELY worse religions. There's Satanism or the Westboro Baptist Church, and there are thousands of other religions, that are just terrible. (Thankfully most of them are no longer practiced.) A lot of ancient religions that use sacrifices for example. Islam does not require sacrifices, be thankful for that.
muslimnomore

Pro

One factor that you are overlooking is the fact that Islam currently has over 1.5 billion adherents and the atrocities committed by muslims in the name of islam more than dwarf anything the westboro baptist church has ever done. of course there are religions that have the potential to be crazier than islam, even christianity has that potential. but currently islam is taking the number one spot when it comes to messed up crimes and oppression of women in the name of religion. yes there are governments that have done worse, and other religions have done horrible things in the past, but islam takes the cake.
Nyx999

Con

Well, considering that we're debating whether or not Islam is the world's worst religion, NOT Islam is the religion that has wreaked most havoc in the world, I think that my argument stands. But if you want to talk about which religion caused most suffering in the world, I would talk about Positive Christianity, the religion of the Nazi Party, made by Alfred Rosenberg. I think the Holocaust outranks anything Muslims have done, and being that ALL of the Positive Christians were evil people, and only a small minority of Muslims are extremists and therefore dangerous, I think Positive Christianity is one of the worst religions in the world. Messed up crimes? How about slaughtering six million Jews, four million Polish, Soviet, and Yugoslavian civillians, 70,000 people with mental and physical handicaps, and more than 200,000 gypsies. Oppression of women? The Nazi Party believed that a woman's place was popping out babies, and nothing more. I have to admit, they weren't the worst in terms of treatment of women, but they certainly weren't good. And you must remember, when we are talking about world's worst religion, you in no way specified if you were talking about a specific time period.

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk...
muslimnomore

Pro

1) I think wreaking havoc would be a very important criterion in determining which religion is the worst in the world.
2) the title of the debate is Islam IS the worst religion in the world, not WAS or WILL BE... but it IS... some obviously I am talking about the current times.
3) I already acknowledged that in the past there may have been worse religions and even currently the world's governments wreak more havoc in the world than Islam
4) Currently, it is undeniable that Muslim countries are the most war-torn and terrorist-filled, and Muslims know this better than any other counrty
5) Also, wreaking havoc is NOT my only criterion for worst religion. Neither is women's rights issues. You are completely overlooking and ignoring the fact that I mentioned poverty, education, corruption and technology. There is no denying that Muslim countries lag behind in all these areas and it is at least in part due to the fact the Muslims use Islamic scriptures to stifle education for children and they make Muslims waste time and money with pointless religious customs and rituals instead of advancing their technological progress.
Nyx999

Con

1. See, we agree on this point. :) (Although we also need to consider that religion's actual intent as a criterion, and not only what its followers do.)
2. Well, not so obviously. See, let's say Neil Armstrong was still alive. You would say Neil Armstrong IS this world's first man on the moon. You wouldn't say "WAS" even though it happened in the past. Well, now you would say "was" because he's dead, but my point is, that religions don't die, so you just say "is". Therefore, we include religions of the past as well. (Although, since religions don't technically die, they just wouldn't be of the past, even if their destructive powers peaked in the past.)
3. Yes you have, which is basically conceding, since there are no religions of the past, there are just religions whose destructive power has peaked in the past. But if you want to play that game, Islam extremistswould be a religion of the past, because I think it peaked during 9/11. They may come back, but so far, they aren't in their destructive prime.
4. That IS undeniable, but since of course that's only currently. If we are talking ever, I think Positive Christianity still wins.
5. WHEN did you mention poverty, education, corruption and technology, and WHERE are your sources? If you want poverty, if you remember right before and during Nazi Germany, they were suffering a very large depression, and when I mean very large, I mean immense. Their education was mostly propoganda, they were obviously very corrupt, and as for technology, they weren't so bad.

But if you DO want to talk about currently, the worlds poorest country is Congo-Kinshasa, which is actually mostly Roman Catholic. Their education, technology, and corruption are all terrible, Muslim countries.

http://www.ii.umich.edu...
http://www.gfmag.com...
Posted by Nyx999 3 years ago
Nyx999
Thanks. :) And I see you're a Card fan?
Posted by Speakerfrthedead 3 years ago
Speakerfrthedead
It's a bummer the voting period ended and there were 0 votes but great job anyway!
Posted by Nyx999 3 years ago
Nyx999
Brilliant. :)
Posted by muslimnomore 3 years ago
muslimnomore
well you made some good points and also i thought about it more.
Posted by Nyx999 3 years ago
Nyx999
Did I have anything to do with it, or was it something else?
Posted by muslimnomore 3 years ago
muslimnomore
i changed my mind. there is no best or worst.
Posted by muslimnomore 3 years ago
muslimnomore
sorry i meant 1
Posted by Nyx999 3 years ago
Nyx999
"2. A religion is the combination of its scriptures, the cultures and individuals who adhere to it, and its rituals."-Muslimnomore

That one?
Posted by muslimnomore 3 years ago
muslimnomore
You asked where i talked about factors other than wreaking havoc? well, in my first post in point 2.
Posted by Nyx999 3 years ago
Nyx999
Oops in my last sentence in the third round, I meant to say more terrible than Muslim countries.