Travniki
MouthWash

Islam on Jesus

MouthWash

Travniki

Pro

The full resolution:

Muslims should not view Jesus as "Just a good prophet but not the son of God". This view is flawed and it is wrong.

I recognize not all Muslims interpret Jesus this way, they are excluded from this debate. It is to focus only on Muslims who view Jesus as a legitimate prophet but not the son of God.

First round acceptance
MouthWash

Con

I accept. I hope to learn much from this debate.
Travniki

Pro

Hello all. There are three logical ways anyone can interpret Jesus, if they believe he historically existed. This doesn't necessarily have to apply to Muslims.

HE WAS THE SON OF GOD
This is fairly self explanatory, one of the ways the Muslims could interpret Jesus would be to believe what he said and worship him as the son of God, but since they rejected that what are the other two options?

HE WAS A LUNATIC

If the first definition is denied then Jesus was a lunatic. He was a man who ran around telling people that he was the son of god, if this isn't true then he must be crazy. He cannot be worshiped as just great prophet, if he wasn't the son of God like he claimed to be then he is bat-bloody insane. Jesus would be no more of a worshipable prophet then the homeless guy down at the gas station who tell you the end is near.

HE WAS A LIAR

Maybe Jesus wasn't a lunatic-maybe he was just lying. If that's the case then he was the worst heretic this world has ever seen. He has led billions of people astray, in full knowledge of what he was doing. Why Muslims would think a guy who did this is a great prophet is unimaginable to me.

If Muslims deny the first options then they must assume one of the other two. There is no room for this "Oh he was a great prophet" business. If you deny that Jesus was God then he must have been a lunatic or a liar. The Muslims who interpret Jesus as a good prophet are wrong, and the truth lies in one of the three options.

I propose.
MouthWash

Con

Islam does not believe that Jesus actually said those things. [http://en.wikipedia.org...]

Since all of his points rely on this, the resolution is negated.
Travniki

Pro

The resolution is still supported because Muslims SHOULD believe that Jesus claimed to be the son of God, and claimed to have divine powers and authority, the evidence is overwhelming.

Sources: King James Bible

John 8:58 - "Jesus said to them, 'Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am.'"

John 10:30-33 - "I and the Father are one." 31 The Jews took up stones again to stone Him. 32 Jesus answered them, "I showed you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you stoning Me?" 33 The Jews answered Him, "For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God."

Muslims should acknowledge that Jesus claimed to be the son of God, and cannot be regarded in respectful light by the religion of Islam
MouthWash

Con

My opponent has provided passages from a Christian bible. They prove nothing in regards to Islam.

Pro has not argued anything and failed the BOP. Vote Con.

Posted by Ahmed.M 4 years ago
Ahmed.M
I'm reluctant to debate specifically on "the Muslim view of Jesus is more plausible the the Christian view" for example because the voting would be heavily biased. This site is filled with mostly Christians and atheists aren't interested in such a topic, so the debate would not be fair.

I would debate you on the resolution "Jesus is not God" though.

If you accept gimmie until the weekend because I'm a bit busy on weekdays.
Posted by Travniki 4 years ago
Travniki
Ahmed M, would you like to debate me on a similair topic? I believe the Muslim view on Jesus is extremely flawed, and suggests the religion of Islam is ill thought out
Posted by Ahmed.M 4 years ago
Ahmed.M
use john 5:30, john 14:28, luke 18:18-19, mark 13:32, mark 12:29 etc etc

-contradictory attributes, cant be man and god at same time
-most miracles aren't unique to him (elisha,elijah,moses,adam)

There's bunch of things you could say to prove the Islamic case that Jesus (pbuh) was not God but a Prophet.
Posted by MouthWash 4 years ago
MouthWash
I've seen other Jews, but I can't remember any names.
Posted by Ahmed.M 4 years ago
Ahmed.M
any person who says Jesus (pbuh) was not a prophet or was higher than a prophet is not a muslim, period.

Mouthwash it is interesting that you are Jewish. I never seen a Jewish person on this site yet, all I've been seeing are atheists and christians.
Vote Placed by Microsuck 4 years ago
Microsuck
TravnikiMouthWashTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro tried to prove something using the Christian Bible and straw-manned the view of Islam. Con points out (correctly) that they prove nothing in regards to Isam.