Islamophobia is a problem in the United States, and is not justified.

Pro will be arguing that Islamophobia is a problem, and/or isn't justified. Con will argue that it is not a problem, and/or that it is justified. For this debate, Islamophobia is defined as the following:

Islamophobia (G6;=8;zl;3;H0;məG2;fəA0;b=8;ə)
" n
hatred or fear of Muslims or of their politics or culture

Con is free to begin arguing in the first round, but in exchange can only make closing statements in the final round. To whoever my opponent is, good luck!

I gladly accept Pro's challenge, and await the presentation of his case.

Firstly, I'm going to give examples of how Islamophobia is prevalent in the United States, and is a problem.

1) Miss America, 2014

Now, my opponent may very well argue that the winner of the 2014 Miss America pageant, Nina Davuluri, is not actually a Muslim. However, seeing as the 'controversy' surrounding her was based on the false belief that she was a Muslim, I'll still include this argument.

As many of you may or may not know, the winner of the 2014 Miss America pageant, Nina Davuluri, is the first person of Indian descent to ever be crowned Miss America. There was much controversy surrounding her victory, however, and not for the normal reasons. It wasn't because it was believed she had cheated, or that the judges were unfair, or anything. It was that many believed that she was Arab and a Muslim. Following the pageant, many very hateful posts were made on websites like Twitter and Facebook, a few of which I will include below.

Jake Amick (@jakeamick5) posted: "How the f*ck does a foreigner win miss America? She is a Arab! #idiots" (Edited to remove profanities, DDO wouldn't let me post it unedited.)

Colton Evans (@ColtonSEvans) said: "Egypt dancing? This is America. #MissAmerica"

Luke Brasili (@LukeBrasili): "9/11 was 4 days ago and she gets miss America?"

Wendy Fraser (@wnfraser): "@ABC2020 nice slap in the face to the people of 9-11 how pathetic #missamerica"

Shannon McCann (@SHANN__Wow): "Miss America right now or miss Al Qaeda?"

Jared Tomes (@JTomes84): "Miss America is brought to by their sponsors PF Changs and 7-11."

And many, many more comments that were angry, hateful, and just plain racists. And these were just somebody that they thought was Muslim because of her skin color. Coincidentally, most of them agreed that the real winner should have been Miss Kansas, who just so happened to be white and blonde, and who hunted and had tattoos. They argued that these things made her a "real American," as opposed to Miss New York, Nina Davuluri.

2) US Representatives Keith Ellison and Andre Carson

In 2012, Keith Ellison was elected to the US House of Representatives by his home state, Minnesota. But this was special. Keith Ellison is the first Muslim to serve in the United States Congress. Since then, Republican Congressmen have accused him of being "militantly anti-America", as well as being a radical Islamist. In fact, his main opponent, a Republican, openly admitted that the main reason she was running was because of his religion. Representative Andre Carson of Indiana was the second Muslim to serve in Congress. After he praised the way parochial schools (he never specified a religion, so it can be assumed he meant them in general) managed to remain relevant, his opponents freaked out, accusing him of wanting to force students to learn the Quran. [1]

3) Barrack Hussein Obama II

Then, of course, there's the controversy surrounding our president, Barrack Hussein Obama II. It is well known that his father was a Muslim, and that he himself was raised as a Muslim. However, he later converted to Christianity. The simple fact that at one point in his life, he was Muslim, has caused endless accusations against him. Despite the fact that he has shown no signs of being a Muslim, and that many major Muslim extremists, including Osama bin Laden, were killed by American forces under his orders, he is constantly accused of trying to help Muslims take over America. [1]

Now, for some reasons why this is not justifiable.

1) The majority of terrorist activities in the United States are committed by Hispanics, not Muslims.

To be more precise, Islamic extremists have been responsible for roughly 6% of terrorist activities in the United States. The largest group, Hispanics, has been responsible for roughly 42%. Even Jewish extremists have been responsible for more, with roughly 7% of attacks being committed by them. The only group to be responsible for less attacks than Muslim extremists is Communists, who have been behind 5% of attacks. This is measuring attacks between 1980 and 2005. [2]

2) More Muslims are killed by Islamic extremists each year than non-Muslims.

According to findings by the Combating Terrorism Center (CTC) at West Point Military Academy, Islamic extremists, particularly al-Qaeda, kill more Muslims annually than non-Muslims. In fact, between 2004 and 2008, al-Qaeda claimed responsibility for the deaths of roughly 3,010 people. Despite major attacks in Madrid (2004), London (2005), and other western cities, only 371 people killed, roughly 12%, were non-Muslims. This is a classic case of blaming the victim. [3]

3) Many Muslims, along with non-Muslims, died in the September 11th terrorist attacks.

The biggest rallying cry of Islamophobes tends to be the quote, "Everything I need to know about Islam, I learned on 9/11." What they likely don't know, is that 31 of the victims of the September 11th attacks were Muslim, including one woman who was seven months pregnant. Like my argument above, the victim is being blamed. The people who use 9/11 to attack Muslims are dishonoring the memory of these 31 innocent people. In fact, the mother of one of the victims was forbidden from travelling to her daughter's memorial service, as the government suspected that her daughter might have been one of the hijackers, instead of one of the victims. [4]

My opponent has defined Islamophobia as being "hatred or fear of Muslims or of their politics or culture". He goes on to say that "it is not justified". This makes perfect sense as a definition of the topic, as a phobia is not just being afraid of something, it is an "irrational fear".

I am not denying that there is a certain level of fear of Islam in the United States - my issue with this proposition is whether or not such fear is irrational - in my view, it is quite justified.

Let me state at the outset that in my view hatred of anyone based on their religion is something that is best avoided. Also, whilst Islam as a religion, political system and culture is something towards which people should have a healthy fear, this should not equate to hysteria, nor hatred towards individual muslims.

Why is fear of Islam justifiable? Here's just a couple of reasons:

It is a violent religion which is extremely and dangerously intolerant of other religions;
It is misogynistic, treating women as property and inferior beings.

If violence, misogyny and intolerance are desirable traits for modern American society, then there is no problem. If they are not, then it pays to be cautious in terms of what inroads this religion is permitted to make into society.

We often hear Western "experts" and leaders telling us that Islam is a religion of peace, which is besmirched from time to time by extremists. This is just not true.

Islam and violence:

The Quran is full of exhortations to gruesome violence against unbelievers, and promises to the faithful of the rewards they will receive if they become martyrs for the cause of Islam. Even speaking out against Islamic teaching or practice is likely to make one, as in the case of Salman Rushdie, the subject of a fatwa ordering their death. In the case of Theo van Gogh, a Dutch movie producer who made a film about the plight of women under Islam, it actually did lead to his murder by a muslim in 2004.[1]

Islam and misogyny:

I will just quote a couple of paragraphs from someone who grew up as a muslim woman in a number of African muslim countries, as well as Saudi Arabia, and experienced first hand the horrors of genital mutilation and subjugation which are the lot of muslim women:

"What matters is abuse, and how it is anchored in a religion that denies women their rights as humans. What matters is that atrocities against women and children are carried out in Europe. What matters is that governments and societies must stop hiding behind a hollow pretense of tolerance so that they can recognize and deal with the problem." [2]

"In reality, these Westerners are the ones who misunderstand Islam. The Quaran mandates these punishments. It gives a legitimate basis for abuse, so that the perpetrators feel no shame and are not hounded by their conscience of their community."[3]

Should the US fear a religion which mandates these abuses making inroads into their society? I believe it should.

I'd now like to address each of the examples of "Islamophobia" cited by Pro in his argument:

1) Miss America, 2014

I totally agree that the discrimination evidenced here by the social media" commentators" is wrong. However, we are given six examples, out of how many comments? Perhaps a few hundred? (I'm just guessing here, we are not told). Out of 300 million citizens. That is not a representative sample of the opinions of average Americans. And the sample is biased - by and large we would expect mostly people upset with the result to be the ones commenting. Then, of course, there is the fact that she actually did win the pageant.

It would appear that Ellison has faced certain accusations from his Republican opponents - but perhaps this is not unexpected. What I find more interesting is that he won party endorsement over 9 other (non-muslim) candidates, and then was elected by the people with 56% of the vote.[3] That doesn't scream out "Islamophobia" to me. As far as Carson goes, again we are hearing about claims about a politician by his opponents. That is not unexpected - all sorts of libellious claims are made about politicians of all persuasions by their opponents.

3) Barrack Hussein Obama II

Yes, there are a small number of conspiracy theorists who believe there is an Islamic plot, headed by the highest office in the land, to turn the USA into a muslim nation. A lot of these same people believe the government is building "concentration camps" in the desert, and stockpiling thousands of coffins in which to bury the bodies of dissidents. Whilst these people make a lot of noise, I seriously doubt that they are large in number.

And finally, to the subject of why fear of Islam is "not justifiable", according to my opponent:

"1) The majority of terrorist activities in the United States are committed by Hispanics, not Muslims."

The statistics quoted here are extremely misleading. As is pointed out in the article to which Pro refers - "In 2012, all but one of the nine Muslim-American terrorism plots uncovered were halted in early stages. That one, an attempted bombing of a Social Security office in Arizona, caused no casualties." In other words, due to increased vigilance, eight out of nine attempts were thwarted, and one failed due to incompetence. It is not as if the intention to kill and maim in the name of Islam wasn't there - just that it was unsuccessful. How many may have died if any of these attacks had succeeded?

"2) More Muslims are killed by Islamic extremists each year than non-Muslims."

The obvious response is "so what"? How does that justify any number of non-muslim victims (or muslim ones for that matter)?

"3) Many Muslims, along with non-Muslims, died in the September 11th terrorist attacks."

Firstly, I would not call 31 out of around 3000 victims (i.e. approximately 1%) "many". And the point is, those 31 muslim victims were the victims of muslims. The fact that Islamic fundamentalists are willing to murder more moderate adherents of their own religion for the "greater good" of annihilating thousands of "infidels" proves nothing, other than what a savage ideology they follow.

Non-muslim countries are well advised, in my opinion, to fear a religion that in just over a decade has been responsible for the death of 3,000 innocents in one terrorist attack (World Trade Centre), over 200 on another occasion (Bali bombings) and numerous other attacks on Western civilization that have either been thwarted, or resulted in less casualties. And it will be a sad day when a misguided sense of "political correctness" brings about a loss of vigilance that keeps the next 9/11 or Bali bombing from happening.

[2] Aayan Hirsi Ali, Infidel.
[3] Aayan Hirsi Ali, Infidel.

I got hit with a lot of homework tonight, and unfortunately am unable to finish my argument in time. My opponent can feel free to introduce new points or argue my previous ones in this round, and I'll refute them in round 4.

Sorry :(

I remember homework (vaguely). Yuck!

I wouldn't want to take unfair advantage. Post your next argument when you are able, there are plenty of rounds left :)

ChrisF forfeited this round.

What a shame this debate appears to be fizzling out. I guess we'll see what the final round brings.

ChrisF forfeited this round.

I presume since my opponent abandoned the debate after round one that he doesn't have an answer to my arguments. There seems little point in giving other than the briefest summary of them here.

Whilst I certainly believe that there are individual muslims of outstanding character, who are worthy of our respect and friendship; as a religion Islam has a number of aspects that should lead non-muslims to treat it with some caution. These include the intolerance which the Quran exhibits towards other religions (and non-religious individuals), which is reflected by the preaching from the pulpits of many imams. Also, women are treated as second class citizens - even as property. Horrendous atrocities have been (and still are, every day) carried out against females in the name of Islam. I would have listed examples of these had the debate progressed, however the last round is not the time to do so.

I believe I have shown in round one that the examples which Pro himself introduced show that in general, Americans are moderate in their reaction to Islam; particularly considering the evils which have been perpetrated in the name of that religion since 2001. Thus, while there is some degree of fear, it is certainly not what might be described as hysterical, and is in fact quite justified.
Posted by Mussab 2 years ago
Well that's a shame. The topic was really good but sadly the instigator couldn't make rebuttals due to business
Posted by ChrisF 2 years ago
I'm sorry, this is really unacceptable for me to keep missing rounds. I've had a lot on my plate lately, but still, I probably should have been able to get everything done anyways.

Posted by edibleshrapnel 2 years ago
Riiiiight, I'll leave you to read that Fox news article on overdramatics.
Posted by ChrisF 2 years ago
No, definitely Muslims. Not to say that xenophobia in general doesn't exist in the US as well.
Posted by edibleshrapnel 2 years ago
Da hell is islamophobia? Do you mean xenophobia? Americans are just spiteful of foreigners in general, not just Muslims.
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago