evanjfarrar
Rjupudi18

Israel is a Rogue State.

Rjupudi18 has forfeited round #2.
Voting Style: Open with Elo Restrictions Point System: 7 Point
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

evanjfarrar

Pro

Good to be back.

This debate will center on the conduct of Israel, and whether this conduct allows for the labeling of the Israeli state as rogue. I will argue that yes, Israel's conduct justifies this label. My opponent will argue the exact opposite.

Format
R1: Acceptance ONLY
R2: All Arguments
R3: Rebuttal
R4: Rebuttal/Conclusion

I hope for a swift acceptance so we can get started!
Rjupudi18

Con

I thank my opponent for instigating this topic. I accept this debate challenge. Before we get started, I would like to define some terms to make things clear.

I will be using the Cambridge English Dictionary definitions of "rogue" and "rogue state"
rogue - behaving in ways that are not expected or not normal, often in a way that causes damage:
rogue state - a nation that is considered very dangerous to other nations

My opponent is free to change up any definitions if they do not feel comfortable with the definitions I have provided. Good luck!

http://dictionary.cambridge.org...
http://dictionary.cambridge.org...
evanjfarrar

Pro

Thank you for accepting.

I would like to start out by slightly modifying the definitions my opponent has proposed. I contend that a rogue state, in being dangerous to other nations, specifically violates international laws and conventions.

Definitions of a Rogue State
Oxford Dictionary: "A nation or state regarded as breaking international law and posing a threat to the security of other nations." [1]
The Free Dictionary: "A state that conducts its policy in a dangerously unpredictable way, disregarding international law or diplomacy." [2]
Foreign Policy Centre: "the hallmarks of the classic rogue state:...it ignores international law..." [3]

Thus, an important characteristic of a rogue state is that it violates international law. I contend, as I will later this round, that violating international law causes damage and is "not normal," or at least "not expected." I believe international law is self-explanatory, especially the law I will be citing, so I feel there is no need for definition in this case.

--------------

It is evident that Israel violates a whole host of international laws. Below is a list of just some of the violations the Israeli state has committed by occupying and settling the West Bank and Gaza.

• As per Fourth Geneva Conventions, Article 49(6), the Israeli government has no right to transfer portions of its civilian portions in the occupied Palestinian territories.
• As per UN Security Council Resolution 446, these settlements have no legal validity.
• As per UN Security Council Resolution 478, the annexation of East Jerusalem was a violation of international law.
• As per UN Security Council Resolution 497, the annexation of the Golan Heights was illegal.
• As per the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, Israeli detention and interrogation of juveniles without due process is illegal.
• As per UN Resolution 194, Israel's barring of the return of Palestinians to their land is a violation of their rights.
• As per UN Resolution 242, Israel's occupation of the West Bank, Gaza, and the Golan Heights is wholly illegal.

[4][5][6][7]

And that's not all. As one can see, Israel blatantly ignores international law to advance its own territorial and political interests, at the expense of Palestinians which call these lands home.

That's where the Cambridge definition of a rogue state comes into play: Israel's occupation of these lands cause severe damage. Not only do they impose a system which grossly discriminates against Palestinians, but they damage peace in the region by playing such a large role in the violent conduct which continues today.

--------------

To conclude, Israel's violations of international law and their aggressive curbing of the rights of Palestinians make Israel the very definition of a rogue state.

Posted by rosends 1 year ago
rosends
But the concept of "international law" let alone the particular interpretation of any "law" is highly variable. A debate might end up with "they are in violation because X" vs. "they are not in violation because Y." And both may be right.
Posted by evanjfarrar 1 year ago
evanjfarrar
Please accept if you feel this way.

I agree that Israel has every right to defend itself. International law does not prevent this. However, Israel is bound to international law. They are a member-state of the U.N., and they are in direct violation of many U.N. resolutions, as well as the Fourth Geneva Convention. This is legally unacceptable, and thus, Israel is a rogue state.

You may believe that the U.N. is deliberately antagonistic to Israel, and that is a commonly-held view. However, it is important to note that the U.N. must consider the well-being of both Israelis and Palestinians, as this is their obligation.
Posted by Depravity 1 year ago
Depravity
Israel has every right to defend itself from its enemies, which are numerous in numbers. They should not have to adhere to international law which has been trying to restrict their defense for decades. The UN is an enemy to Israel and seeks to destroy it.
Posted by Ozzz169 1 year ago
Ozzz169
Israel has been for a long time, depending on the definition, you could argue pretty easy that the USA is the ultimate rogue state, as its the only country that tends to destroy countries and/or leaders that don't do what they say.
Posted by rosends 1 year ago
rosends
OK, I thought you might be operating under "Rogue state means a state ruled by autocratic regimes. Such state severely restricts human rights. A rogue state is generally hostile to the U.S., and sponsors terrorism and seeks to acquire or develop weapons of mass destruction." How are you defining "international law"?
Posted by evanjfarrar 1 year ago
evanjfarrar
That is up to the debaters to decide. However, it is important to know there is a commonly accepted definition of rogue state which ought to be taken into account by both Pro and Con: "a nation or state regarded as breaking international law and posing a threat to the security of other nations."
Posted by rosends 1 year ago
rosends
Are you going to be operating under any specific definition of "rogue state"?