Watchman81
zach12

Israel's Attack on Hamas in Gaza is justified.

Watchman81

Watchman81

Pro

My position is that Israel's decision to launch military attacks in the Gaza Strips against the terrorist group Hamas is justified. Israel's goal is to achieve a
viable peace and to stop the rocket fire. The only way for this to happen is for Israel to destroy as much of Hamas' members and their rockets as possible. It is clearly apparent that Hamas does NOT desire peace with Israel. This is why they continue to launch rockets and break cease - fires. If Hamas would stop their
terrorist acts, Israel would have no need to invade their territory.

The only action Israel can take with regard to Hamas militants is force. The question of proportionality is irrelevant. Any country who is attacked in this manner would do what they needed to do to crush the attackers thereby ensuring the
safety of their citizens. As a matter of fact, Israel has not gone nearly as far as they could have. Israel does everything it can to avoid civilian casualties. If it didn't, there would probably be more than double the amount of civilian deaths.

The fact is, Hamas is known to attempt to maximize the number of civilian deaths by intentionally launching their rockets from areas that are densely populated by civilians in order to provoke a response from Israel that will kill civilians. Since Hamas is not willing to stop the terrorist attacks, Israel has no choice but to retaliate.
zach12

Con

I would like to start by thanking my opponent for starting this debate and by stating that I am on the con side of this argument.

First I'm going to point out that while only 8 Israelis have been killed by rocket fire from Gaza, more than 800 Palestinians have been killed from Israeli retaliation..

Also, during the 2008 ceasefire, Israel violated it 185 times. Gaza also violated the ceasefire but how can Israel expect Gaza to follow a rule it doesn't follow itself.

Also, Israel doesn't really have a right to do anything in the Middle East due to the fact that it is the only non-Muslim country there. Without Western aid and numerous blank checks administered to it by the U.S. it would already be gone.

Hamas leaders launch rockets on Israel because Israel refuses to discontinue or even slightly lessen its blockade of Gaza. Gaza citizens have difficulty obtaining nutrition and humanitarian food shipments are the only thing permitted past the blockade, and that is a rather rare occurrence. My point is that if Gaza does nothing they get no food. Launching rockets at the hated Israelis is the only way for them to express their inhumane treatment at the hands of Israel.
Watchman81

Pro

I would also like to thank Zach for accepting my debate!

My opponent states that 800 Palestinians have been killed in this battle while only 8 Israelis have been killed. I fail to see how this means that Israel's invasion is unjustified, especially since most of the Palestinians that were killed were members of the terrorist organization known as Hamas. Throughout the history of this conflict, Israel has done its utmost to limit the number of civilian deaths while the terrorists have done their utmost to maximize civilian deaths on both sides.

My opponent claims that Israel violated the ceasefire 185 times, which is false. I would like to know where he is getting this information. The ceasefire was broken by Hamas, who continued to launch rockets into Israel in order to kill civilians. Throughout this conflict, we have seen Israel get attacked by terrorist groups only to find that they are condemned whenever they retaliate. Israel is the ONLY nation on this earth that is expected to not defend itself when attacked. Even countries that have acted the same way in similar situations have criticized Israel ie. Turkey. Israel cannot be expected to have rockets launched into its territory every day and take it with a smile.

My opponents assertion that Israel doesn't have the right to do anything in the Middle East just because it is not a Muslim country is absurd. EVERY country has the right to defend itself regardless of what their religion is. The statement that Israel would be gone if it weren't for the US is an ignorant statement. Israel was able to defend itself in 1948, 1967, 1973, and against attacks in between without the help of the US. The Arab states that have attacked Israel were given aid by Russia just like we give Israel aid.

My opponent claims that Hamas launches rockets because of Israel's blockade, which is another ignorant argument. If the Palestinians would renounce terrorism and give up violence, they wouldn't have to worry about blockades. Even so, the goal of Hamas is not to get Israel to lift the blockade. Hamas' goal is to destroy Israel and replace it with a Muslim state, so the blockade has nothing to do with Hamas' agenda.

The history of this conflict shows that it is the Islamic Terrorists such as Hamas, Hezbollah, and Islamic Jihad that keep the violence going. If they would renounce violence, then there would be peace. Israel is perfectly justified in defending itself just as any other country would be.
zach12

Con

I really shouldn't have taken this argument. I admit defeat, though it pains me.
Watchman81

Pro

Guess I'll have to start another one then!
zach12

Con

ya sorry tho
Watchman81

Pro

It's all good
zach12

Con

jalapenos
Posted by wjmelements 8 years ago
wjmelements
Why does CON have points?
Posted by Epicism 8 years ago
Epicism
Very interesting topic. I like those!
Posted by sadolite 8 years ago
sadolite
Mikirta, you, me and the rest of the US need to worry about this more than who's a terrorist and who isn't. You must accept that they do exist and they will kill you the first chance they get.

http://us.mc431.mail.yahoo.com...,
Posted by sadolite 8 years ago
sadolite
"Who are we to define who is a terrorist and who is a revolutionary?" Here's a clue: Any Organization or country that promotes the genocide of an entire race of people is a pretty good start at determining who terrorists are.

hezbollah, hamas, Irans leadership just to name a few, all fit into this category. But none of this matters of course. It is America that is the real evil., with all that freedom and opportunity for all crap.
Posted by Mikirta 8 years ago
Mikirta
So Israel is justified on attacking "teerorist groups" such as Hamas.
Someone please answer this question: Who are we to define who is a terrorist and who is a revolutionary?
People call hezbollah, hamas, and etc terrorist groups because they go against "western democracy"....but who says democracy is the best form of government? Who says that these people in their country or region aren't freedom fighters like hezbollah for example. People say that hezbollah is a terror group that controls southern Lebanon, but did anybody ever consider they are just rebels who are going against a governmet they dislike?
The sterotype of being a terrorist society is not even passed the US' image. Going into other countries and changing their forms of government and etc because their "corrupt" is not promoting democracy and international justice, it is promoting the justification of imperialism.
So if Israel is justified in attacking Hamas, then Hamas should also be justified in attacking Israel.
Posted by sadolite 8 years ago
sadolite
Toucan_Sam, I find it amazing how you can find no moral difference between planed and deliberate attacks on innocent civilians which is Hamas's only goal. and an attempt by Israel to target only those targets that represent the threat from Hamas. You count unintentional collateral damage as the same thing as intentionally targeting civilians on purpose. Did you know that the Israel military would call ahead and warn people as to what buildings were known Hamas strong holds and headquarters before they were bombed. Additionally no palestinian is innocent. They elected Hamas as their leadership in a land slide election. That makes them all terrorist and that makes them all targets. This is as clear cut as it gets when defining who is the enemy and terrorist and who isn't. But this is the only thing you can say.........."Its also okay for Israel to bomb UN schools, and civilians" as if it was done on purpose. You have been brain washed and are completely unable to tell the difference between Terrorism and those trying to protect themselves from it. I guess we should do nothing and all just die like fools and dogs at the hands of terrorists as we might accidentally have collateral damage trying to kill one of them thus making us equal to them in your eyes. I have an idea why don't you go take care of the situation personally as you think it can be done with words.
Posted by mikeer990 8 years ago
mikeer990
Sam:
Let me point out that...
1.Understand that Israel was trying to protect itself. If someone was out to kill you and you have the power to stop that person, would you?
2.Tell me, whose fault is it in the first place? Israel TRIED to negotiate (in fact it started years ago) but Hamas says no. And now Hamas has power to stop this travesty, but do they do anything? Then whose fault is it?
3. Israel has a right to bomb Gaza because its country is at risk. Muslims have been feuding with the Muslims for years, and Israel will do anything to keep its freedom and independence, even bomb its own territory. It may not be right, but in these situations extreme measures are needed to keep its freedom.
4.And NO, it is not okay to bomb the innocent, but as I said Israel will do anything to keep "its" land. And FYI this land is rightfully Isrelis' land. Why? because they were the one who took care of it, who made it a rich nation (Jewish Businessmen), and turned the land fertile, then Muslims start complaining about Jews stealing their land, land that the Jews TOTALLY earned.
Posted by Toucan_Sam 8 years ago
Toucan_Sam
Its also okay for Israel to bomb UN schools, and civilians, and not allow any palistians back to there homes. Yep sounds a right to me. Lets just bomb the hell out of them instead of negotiating and maybe giving up some land that we stole from people after world war 2. Hooray for Israel.
Vote Placed by wjmelements 8 years ago
wjmelements
Watchman81zach12Tied
Vote Placed by TheSexicanMexican 8 years ago
TheSexicanMexican
Watchman81zach12Tied
Vote Placed by Epicism 8 years ago
Epicism
Watchman81zach12Tied
Vote Placed by zach12 8 years ago
zach12
Watchman81zach12Tied
Vote Placed by Lampshade 8 years ago
Lampshade
Watchman81zach12Tied