Watchman81
Bboo

Israel's attack in Gaza was justified.

Watchman81

Pro

Okay, so I'll try this again since my last opponenet forfeited.

My position is that Israel's decision to launch military attacks in the Gaza Strips against the terrorist group Hamas is justified. Israel's goal is to achieve a
viable peace and to stop the rocket fire. The only way for this to happen is for Israel to destroy as much of Hamas' members and their rockets as possible. It is clearly apparent that Hamas does NOT desire peace with Israel. This is why they continue to launch rockets and break cease - fires. If Hamas would stop their
terrorist acts, Israel would have no need to invade their territory.

The only action Israel can take with regard to Hamas militants is force. The question of proportionality is irrelevant. Any country who is attacked in this manner would do what they needed to do to crush the attackers thereby ensuring the
safety of their citizens. As a matter of fact, Israel has not gone nearly as far as they could have. Israel does everything it can to avoid civilian casualties. If it didn't, there would probably be more than double the amount of civilian deaths.

The fact is, Hamas is known to attempt to maximize the number of civilian deaths by intentionally launching their rockets from areas that are densely populated by civilians in order to provoke a response from Israel that will kill civilians. Since Hamas is not willing to stop the terrorist attacks, Israel has no choice but to retaliate.
Bboo

Con

I would first like to thank my opponent for starting this debate.

My opponent believes that it was OK to bomb a country and kill hundreds, if not thousands of innocent people. We can't just let a couple people represent a whole nation's opinion. Yes, its wrong for the Hamas to attack Israel, but it was also wrong for Israel to retaliate and attack back, instead of asking other countries for help.
Watchman81

Pro

First, I would like to thank my opponent for accepting my debate.

My opponent argues that a couple people cannot represent a whole nation's opinion. This argument is flawed for a few reasons. 1. It is a lot more than just a couple people. Hamas is a terrorist organization with enough support for it to have been elected Gaza's government. If the Palestinian civilians in Gaza does not like the effect that Hamas' tactics has on them, they should never have elected them. Furthermore, they should be working to get rid of Hamas.
2. Even if Hamas didn't represent the wishes of the Gazan civilians (which is questionable all on its own), Hamas IS the one responsible for constant rocket attacks on Israeli civilians.
3. Israel did not kill thousands of people in this attack. And most of the people killed were Hamas terrorists.

My opponent also argues that it is wrong for Israel to retaliate when attacked. I would argue that it is more than fair; it is necessary for Israel to retaliate. Any other country in the same situation would behave the same way. Israel seems to be the ONLY nation on this planet that is expected to take terrorist attacks with a smile, instead of defending itself. The UN repeatedly condemns Israel when it acts to defend itself without condemning the vile and malicious acts of Hamas. My opponent seems to believe that Israel should have asked other countries for help in dealing with Hamas. I would ask my opponent: who would Israel ask? And why should they ask? Israel is fully within its rights to defend itself against terrorist groups and should NOT be criticized for doing what any other country would do in the same situation.
Bboo

Con

Bboo forfeited this round.
Watchman81

Pro

Watchman81 forfeited this round.
Bboo

Con

Bboo forfeited this round.
Watchman81

Pro

Watchman81 forfeited this round.
Bboo

Con

Bboo forfeited this round.
Posted by zach12 8 years ago
zach12
how short was the time for responding arguments? must have been short...