Mariodude34500
Drago31

It Should be illegal to burn the American flag?

Drago31 has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Mariodude34500

Con

I will argue that it should NOT be illegal to burn the American flag. My opponent will argue that it should be.
Drago31

Pro

It should be illegal to burn the American flag because it symbolizes our own country, The land of the free and the home of the brave. TO BURN THE FLAG WOULD MEAN TO HATE AMERICA!!!!!
Mariodude34500

Con

Well there are plenty of reasons to burn a flag besides hating america. It can be a thing you do to protest something. For example burning a flag to protest the wars in the middle east. Burning a flag doesn't always mean you hate this country. However even if it did why should that be illegal? We have freedom of speech in america. You are allowed to hate america. We have that freedom. And the supreme court has ruled that burning a flag is free speech. Aside from that there is the obvious question of what would you do to punish people who do burn the flag? Would you be willing to throw someone in jail the same place we put rapists and murders for burning a flag? A piece of cloth. That would be anti free speech? An argument I suspect you might use is that people have died for the flag. But people didn't die for the flag they died for the freedom it represents. If you wish to use that argument you have to consider the contradiction of saying people died for freedom and now I will throw you in Jail if you try to use your freedom of expression they died to protect.
Mariodude34500

Con

what are you arguing? I like Secular talk but what is the point of showing that? You are aware in that video he points out that burning a flag is legal and gives many of the points I make. So whats the point in showing that video?